4* Kofi Cockburn plans visit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
20.jpg

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
He was born on Friday, according to his name.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one confused by this? Thread title mentions him planning a visit, the post is what looks like a standard tweet of "my final _" but without the word UConn or a Huskie new or old...

I'm assuming we're in contention

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not a terribly impressive list, judging by the logos in his photo. Is there a reason we're the biggest program involved?
Top 50 Composite. 6'11 248 according to one site. Sign me up, hope we're actually interested.

Based on the school's, looks like he wants to stay local, coupled with the fact he's a 2019 recruit, there might not be much interest yet. I'd rather build an early relationship now, and take the benefits later if the kid is any good.

Reaction Score
He's also a 2019 kid, so he has a few years to pick up the offers you want him to have
Top 50 Composite. 6'11 248 according to one site. Sign me up, hope we're actually interested.

Based on the school's, looks like he wants to stay local, coupled with the fact he's a 2019 recruit, there might not be much interest yet. I'd rather build an early relationship now, and take the benefits later if the kid is any good.

It being early is a legit answer. I didn't realize that the big boys usually waited, though it makes sense that they don't necessarily need to build relationships over multiple years.

Reaction Score
Always have to have a Jamaican on the roster.

Key for national championships: Ben Gordon, Kemba Walker, Kentan Facey... Hopefully Kofi Cockburn.

Reaction Score
While looking to see if there was anyone with Jamaican background on the 1999 team, I came across this:

As a senior, [Rashamel] Jones had it narrowed down to UMass, UConn and BC. “I wanted my relatives to be able to see me play, so for that to happen, I had to stay within the Tri-State area." UMass coach John Calipari (at that time) came to visit Rash’s family. After he left, Rash’s grandmother commented "he was like a car salesmen, telling you everything you want to hear." BC Coach Jim O’Brien (at that time) came for a visit but he was too laid back for Rash. Coach Calhoun came for a visit and Rash said, “I was used to an in your face type of guy. Watching Coach Calhoun, during games seeing his style, I knew, that’s where I needed to be.”

Reaction Score

Key for national championships: Ben Gordon, Kemba Walker, Kentan Facey... Hopefully Kofi Cockburn.

Kemba was Jamaican? Never knew that.

C

Chief00

Drummond was of Jamaican descent too.

Reaction Score
While looking to see if there was anyone with Jamaican background on the 1999 team, I came across this:

As a senior, [Rashamel] Jones had it narrowed down to UMass, UConn and BC. “I wanted my relatives to be able to see me play, so for that to happen, I had to stay within the Tri-State area." UMass coach John Calipari (at that time) came to visit Rash’s family. After he left, Rash’s grandmother commented "he was like a car salesmen, telling you everything you want to hear." BC Coach Jim O’Brien (at that time) came for a visit but he was too laid back for Rash. Coach Calhoun came for a visit and Rash said, “I was used to an in your face type of guy. Watching Coach Calhoun, during games seeing his style, I knew, that’s where I needed to be.”

So Rash's grams is smarter than most parents these days huh? Love that quote so spot on.

Reaction Score
Kemba was Jamaican? Never knew that.

Apparently, he's not. Parents are from St. Croix!

In learning this just now, I also came across Cockburn Town and Cockburn Harbour in Turks and Caicos.

Reaction Score
What is the point of these posts if it is just a visit? Maybe a post for a player that actually signs...but...he might be visiting...okay...

This is a big positive for me, let's me know decent future players still want to visit. We need as much positive as we can get right now.

This is a prototypical list for a good sophomore. Usually only the local schools or distant mid-majors that need to put in early work are involved this early unless they are a blue chip. The blue blood schools have plenty of time to wait until the last minute. See how Duke and UK's classes storm the rankings later than most. Plus those blue chippers want to make sure the current squad is evacuating playing time for them to step in. In 2 years this kid could become a top ten, or he can fall out of the top 100. Either way, get him on campus now, doesn't hurt.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
"Cockburn has been discharged from his LOI. Too bad. He could really burn opponents on the inside."

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It being early is a legit answer. I didn't realize that the big boys usually waited, though it makes sense that they don't necessarily need to build relationships over multiple years.
After Diallo, I don't want us building any relationships. I want us to swoop in at the last minute and steal the kids like Calipari does.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The name Cockburn has been viewed as originating from the juxtaposition of 'Cock', derived from the Old English word 'cocc' meaning 'moor-cock', 'wild bird' or 'hill', with 'burn' derived from the old word 'burna' meaning 'brook' or 'stream'.

Cockburn /ˈkoʊbərn/ is a Scottish surname that originated in the Borders region of the Scottish Lowlands. In the United States most branches of the same family have adopted the simplified spelling 'Coburn'; other branches have altered the name slightly to 'Cogburn'. The French branch of the family uses the spelling 'de Cockborne', with the middle "ck" being pronounced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom