3s | The Boneyard

3s

Reaction Score
Hadnt noticed this, but disconcerting.

Last 10 games:

1548635047786.png

Reaction Score
Hadn’t noticed? We’ve had a dozen threads about our shooting and KLS in particular. Can’t remember, but you’ve probably blasted me a few times for being critical of KLS.
What’s up?

Reaction Score
The stats show KLS is shooting 31% from 3 AND so is the rest of the Team over the last 10 games. Not normal UCONN numbers!!! especially for KLS.

In his UCF pre-game presser Geno said, "you can see it in practice...they are ready to start making more shots... " Or something like that.

I know I always try to be positive... I believe the starters will continually improve their 3pt shooting as the season continues. I am confident KLS has a number of "experts" trying to help her find the stroke again...including her Sister(s), Dad, her personal coach in CA, Geno, Shea, Jaz, and probably a bunch of letters being written in. WE know what she is capable of. She was the top 3pt shooter in the country last year... I don't think someone with her skills just "loses it" at this young age. I'm keeping faith... the shots will fall, and with the way they played today (vs UCF), I'm looking for great things to come. let's not forget ND went down to UNC today...proving that there is a lot of parity this year...the title will be won on the floor in Tampa and not in polls!!!

Reaction Score
Perhaps all that extra shooting at home with her Dad over the Xmas break messed up her form. Kara Wolters has been saying for the past few pre-games that KLS shot is too flat now with more of a push motion.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
On the other hand, if they can continue to start games and continue through the first half like they did today against UCF (pressure defense and transition offense), we won't really need 3 point scoring and everyone can still fill the stat sheet.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Hadnt noticed this, but disconcerting. Last 10 games:

Did you notice this? The kid comes to play. Start running some of Lou's plays for Megan.
Code:
Megan Walker
UCF     2   4   0.500
SMU     3   3   1.000
TMP     1   4   0.250
TUL     4   7   0.571
USF     1   4   0.250
CIN     1   4   0.250
UH      1   4   0.250
BU      2   5   0.400
CAL     2   3   0.667
OU      0   2   0.000
        17 40   0.425

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On the other hand, if they can continue to start games and continue through the first half like they did today against UCF (pressure defense and transition offense), we won't really need 3 point scoring and everyone can still fill the stat sheet.

Better teams will likely be able to better handle the pressure and limit transition.

Reaction Score
Better teams will likely be able to better handle the pressure and limit transition.
Of course that’s true, but IMO the game is meant to be played 94 feet. Why have 94 feet? You could just check the ball at the top of the key.
Now, there are a million presses. The exact set up and movement is designed to exploit opponents weaknesses and take advantage of your strengths. Some presses are employed just to slow a team down and get them to use clock. Others are geared toward chaos and mayhem, like Arkansas and Nolan Richardson. We lack a little quickness but we’re long and our bench is short, so these factors go into how you’re going to attack.
I think Geno’s all over it. I pray that he sticks with it. With practice, the kids will get better and better at anticipating.

Reaction Score
I’ve wondered if Lou’s 3 pt shooting slump has anything to do with her being healthy? In other words, did she adjust her shot last year to compensate for her foot injury and now that the foot is healthy, her adjusted shot is off? Just wondering.

Reaction Score
For some reason (maybe her improved ankle), KLS is shooting many of her jump shots on the move. Most have been missing. When she shots her traditional pull up/set shots, she is still money.

Reaction Score
Of course that’s true, but IMO the game is meant to be played 94 feet. Why have 94 feet? You could just check the ball at the top of the key.
Now, there are a million presses. The exact set up and movement is designed to exploit opponents weaknesses and take advantage of your strengths. Some presses are employed just to slow a team down and get them to use clock. Others are geared toward chaos and mayhem, like Arkansas and Nolan Richardson. We lack a little quickness but we’re long and our bench is short, so these factors go into how you’re going to attack.
I think Geno’s all over it. I pray that he sticks with it. With practice, the kids will get better and better at anticipating.
I agree......the point is to stop the "walk up" slowing the pace of play. Force the pace of play up. Advantage UConn.

Megan now makes the half court offense work better. Makes room for ball movement.

Aggressive defense and the now successful integration of Megan.

Now Crystal can run wild, or run the preferred offensive sets, and Lou gets just enough more uncontested 3's to work the kinks out.

All is right with the world.....for now....even ceding the rebounding battles.

I'm interested how they defense Louisville, that should be a show.

Reaction Score
I’ve wondered if Lou’s 3 pt shooting slump has anything to do with her being healthy? In other words, did she adjust her shot last year to compensate for her foot injury and now that the foot is healthy, her adjusted shot is off? Just wondering.
I've been wondering if she IS healthy. Last Wednesday vs. SMU she had a different colored knee support on her left knee, as well as an ankle brace on her left ankle. ???

Lou knee-ankle 012319 copy.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
At this pace, is KLS going to break the KML’s 3s record?
At this pace, it looks like she'll come up a couple short. Like 396 vs 398. That is assuming UCONN plays in the NC game.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
It's hard to say for sure while watching game broadcasts— even on a big-screen tv— but I've had the impression that KLS has been rushing her 3's:
her usual rhythm has been rushed as she has encountered increased pressure. Has anyone else seen what I *think* I'm seeing. When she shoots mid-range jumpers off the driibble and bounce step, her accuracy is much higher.

Reaction Score
It's hard to say for sure while watching game broadcasts— even on a big-screen tv— but I've had the impression that KLS has been rushing her 3's:
her usual rhythm has been rushed as she has encountered increased pressure. Has anyone else seen what I *think* I'm seeing. When she shoots mid-range jumpers off the driibble and bounce step, her accuracy is much higher.
Timing is probably off, she's a very quick release on that set 3 shot itself.......add a defender and it looks even quicker.....KML would move to another spot and create some space for herself....KLS seems to fade the shot from whatever spot she at....the dribble bounce, or dribble turnaround with a little fade is a different shot, and her timing mechanism, whatever that is, is down on that.

She needs to keep shooting, preferably uncontested, just because that means the offense is working right to create that shot.....shooters just have to shoot themselves out of it....her mechanics are what they are, absolutely no sense in tinkering with it mid season of your senior year, unless somebody sees something fundamentally different than what is "normal for her".

Crystal and Megan can make up some of the scoring, I'm not worried about KLS. Not worried a bit on the % either with a kid who has to keep shooting. I'll take the misses while the timing comes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou is due. I think she's healthy. Any day now, I think she'll go 6-7 or something like that. By the end of the season, she should be over 40%, though maybe not at the 47.5% of last year.

In the meantime, Megatron has become quite the spot-up shooter. She's not afraid to take the big shots, and she is making them. I like Meg's confidence and aggressiveness.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Lou is due. I think she's healthy. Any day now, I think she'll go 6-7 or something like that. By the end of the season, she should be over 40%, though maybe not at the 47.5% of last year.

In the meantime, Megatron has become quite the spot-up shooter. She's not afraid to take the big shots, and she is making them. I like Meg's confidence and aggressiveness.
Meg is evolving, developing. There were multiple moments in the UCF game where my eyes got wider and I thought, "I don't think I've ever seen her do that before." That wicked block was one of them.

Reaction Score
Unless the issue with KLS isn’t her shot, it’s the defense. Last year there were more offensive threats and better passing. This year there can be more focus on Kls. That won’t ease unless meg maintains her upward trend and CW gets her groove back.

Reaction Score
I’m by no means a shot expert but from what I’ve seen of KLS’s shot, hits a relatively low release point for someone that’s 6’3. Her shot starts low (at or below her eyes) and she tends to “launch” it more (her arm goes forward more than up). Think of someone like Maya Moore or KML whose arms (after their initial wind-up) would be at about a 90 degree angle when they were about to shoot. Again it might not be a huge deal but it’s something I’ve noticed. She also doesn’t use her legs a ton (although this year it seems like she has much more of a jump to her shot). It might be why her shot isn’t getting the arc it could (read: why it’s flat). Again, I’m no expert, but it’s what I’ve noticed about her shot. Hope she gets back to her higher percentage!

Reaction Score
I am not a shot expert but KLS is more of a game player, I.e. she is doing more to help rebounding, ball handling, etc., than previous year were she was primarily a shooter. Educated guess is the extra load is causing some fatigue and affecting her shot, especially late in the game. The short bench is IMHO part of the problem.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am not a shot expert but KLS is more of a game player, I.e. she is doing more to help rebounding, ball handling, etc., than previous year were she was primarily a shooter. Educated guess is the extra load is causing some fatigue and affecting her shot, especially late in the game. The short bench is IMHO part of the problem.
Nah. .. That makes way too much sense. Slings are arrows are surely coming your way.

This is so important it definitely needs repeating. We have two players (KLS and Christyn Williams) that are struggling with their shot. You don't have to look very far for an explanation. CW is struggling because of the demands of playing UCONN style defense. The explanation for KLS is pretty much the same. KLS is averaging 7.2 RPG- More than 3 RPG above her career average of 3.9. There is a price to be paid for playing UCONN style defense and rebounding, that price often shows up the legs first.

Reaction Score

You play the style that fits your team or the situation. Some games for example if other team has high scoring talent you aren't going to press them necessarily. Pressing to push tempo can create fouls and UCONN doesn't have the bench for that. Nolan Richardson used a lot of guys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom