3rd and short | The Boneyard

3rd and short

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have gone empty backfield the last few3rd and short plays. Any reason we give up on the only thing we can actually do?

Reaction Score
We have gone empty backfield the last few3rd and short plays. Any reason we give up on the only thing we can actually do?

If you have enough plays in your playbook to wallpaper a house, as Coach DeLeone has said on numerous occasions, you can get too cute and outthink yourself. Don't worry though, I'm sure this will be the only game they outthink themselves and destroy our chances. Oh, wait-they did that to blow the lead against Vandy, too....

Reaction Score
Empty backfield with a mobile QB yes, with J-Mac forget it. Whoever is making this call should be overruled by PP if he does not want to lose the fanbase.

Reaction Score
Empty backfield with a mobile QB yes, with J-Mac forget it. Whoever is making this call should be overruled by PP if he does not want to lose the fanbase.

In fairness, McCoombs is a 170-lb freshman, so by going empty it's not like we're removing a pass-blocking juggernaut from the backfield.

Reaction Score
In fairness, McCoombs is a 170-lb freshman, so by going empty it's not like we're removing a pass-blocking juggernaut from the backfield.

I think the point is you want to have a running threat available on the play and actually really run the ball on short yardage since that is a large part of who we are.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I disagree with you as McCombs did a good job in pass blocking from what I saw tonight. He has improved since the beginning of the season. Also they can use him as a safety valve when the blitz comes.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Completely agree. The 3rd and 2 in the 4th quarter on our 10 yard line we went empty backfield and didn't even pretend like we could / might run the ball. Not our strength.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

I asked this same question last night. I am definitely starting to turn around on the coaching staff. A coach HAS to know what his team is good at, and let them do it. 3rd and 1, and you pass with a QB that is 2 of 12 so far on the night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom