32-30 St. Johns over Baylor at the half... | The Boneyard

32-30 St. Johns over Baylor at the half...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Wow...just turned this on. Anyone watching?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I mean...we played badly at Seton Hall, but they weren't within 2 at the half.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Griner is just 2-3 FGs, 3-4 FTs. What the heck?
Baylor is 1-7 3PtFGs, and Jordan Madden is 2-10. I don't think Mulkey can be happy that Madden has more shot attempts than Griner.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Baylor may be getting used to the intimidation factor it enjoys with overmatched opponents but the Johnnies play UConn, ND, Rutgers and Louisville every year. They won't be awed.

Having said that, I wonder if Baylor may have overlooked SJU a bit? St. John's is having a down year so far.

Reaction Score
I watched about the first ten minutes. Griner definitely wasn't getting enough touches. Simms was in foul trouble early and had to sit on the bench for a while. St. John's was making some smart passes and backdoor cuts to avoid Griner. They were trailing and Simms was about to come back in the game when I turned it off, so I'm surprised!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I mean...we played badly at Seton Hall, but they weren't within 2 at the half.

SJU is much more talented than Seton Hall, and well coached. Donovan is doing a good job at Seton Hall too, but she has very little talent to work with at this point.... I expect that to change quickly.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
OK everyone return to your places during the first half. If you were watching continue, if not, stop immeidately and do what you were doing.

Reaction Score
Here's what I posted in the other thread.

St John's hanging tough so far. They're doing a lot of sagging on Griner and Baylor is not passing it around well. They're also not hitting the outside shots needed to open things up.

Sims having a off game, with 2 fouls and some bad decisions.

I wonder if the 11am start time (10 am Waco) is throwing them off.

======================​
Yeah Baylor's offense has not been good. Not a good flow.

Also St John's is a bad 3-point shooting team, but they've been hitting, going 3-4. In contrast, Baylor is 1-7.

Even from 2-pt land, Baylor is only 10-23 (43%), a reflection of some crazy drives to the basket.

Still I think half-time refocus will help Baylor a lot, and they should reassert themselves. I bet they pull away by midway of 2nd half.​

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
SJU is much more talented than Seton Hall, and well coached. Donovan is doing a good job at Seton Hall too, but she has very little talent to work with at this point.... I expect that to change quickly.
True. St. Johns doesn't look scared at all. Mulkey needs to make some adjustments stat.

Reaction Score
St John's guards haviong a GREAT game, and making effective use of the under-utilized bounce pass.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
St John's guards haviong a GREAT game, and making effective use of the under-utilized bounce pass.
Kim B-A is a very good coach. And SJU has played WNBA-quality centers before.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Baylor's defense is much better. IMO they should never play zone vs. a team like SJU.

And SJU is in serious foul trouble, not looking good for them to hang in.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Put the name UCONN in someones head and it becomes a distraction when you have to do something else.........like play SJU.
SJU is trying their best...but the fouls will take their toll

Reaction Score
Also note that Picozzi does a much better job in non-UConn games. I don't know if he gets bored or he thinks that the (older) UConn audience wants to hear that fluff, but much different style.

Reaction Score
Destiny Williams has also played quite well. Dunno why she didn't play in the first half - wonder if there was a discipline issue?

Those forwards are key as they need to pick up the slack when Griner is getting tripled team.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Worst thing I'm seeing as a UConn fan: Destiny Williams is playing well, first time I have seen her play well this year.

Reaction Score
Worst thing I'm seeing as a UConn fan: Destiny Williams is playing well, first time I have seen her play well this year.

Thanks Nan for the update.

Another bad thing: that Mulkey is going all out to demand the best from her players. Clearly she recognizes what they need to win it all, and is going to push her team regardless of the opponent. Already seems to be paying dividends as Williams was fierce in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
After falling behind by 6 at 36-30.

18-3 run
6-6
6-0 run
----
30-9

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Thanks Nan for the update.

Another bad thing: that Mulkey is going all out to demand the best from her players. Clearly she recognizes what they need to win it all, and is going to push her team regardless of the opponent. Already seems to be paying dividends as Williams was fierce in the 2nd half.
Although we don't need more bad news from a UConn perspective, it's also worth noting that Griner is rebounding very well, and that Pope is having a great game.

I just hope the Johnnies play tough to the end. Lead is now 15.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Uh oh. SJU knee injury... McKenith, one of their best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom