3 year anniversary of UMBC over UVA | The Boneyard

3 year anniversary of UMBC over UVA

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Will we ever see another 16 over 1? Most people thought it wouldn’t happen once. It’s also funny to me how close the programs are geographically. It’d be like the UConn women losing to UNH in the first round.

Reaction Score
I prefer to think about how uva is still the reigning champ of college basketball...even if everyone will forever forget that we wont the NC the following year...

Not that I think Michigan is at risk here, but interesting to note that Deandre Hunter was out for the UMBC game and their guy Livers who actually has a similar game (compared to NC year hunter, not 16 seed losing year hunter)...could affect them more than people think. Probably not, but I'll forever root for another 16/1 upset so it'll lessen the pain...

Reaction Score
I prefer to think about how uva is still the reigning champ of college basketball...even if everyone will forever forget that we wont the NC the following year...

Not that I think Michigan is at risk here, but interesting to note that Deandre Hunter was out for the UMBC game and their guy Livers who actually has a similar game (compared to NC year hunter, not 16 seed losing year hunter)...could affect them more than people think. Probably not, but I'll forever root for another 16/1 upset so it'll lessen the pain...

That must have been unpleasant to watch. On the plus side, it's not like it was a competitive game so at least you had some time to prepare for the result.

Reaction Score
That must have been unpleasant to watch. On the plus side, it's not like it was a competitive game so at least you had some time to prepare for the result.
I actually remember it vividly...was driving out to Steamboat and checked the score at a gas station when I grabbed some road fuel (10000 degree DD coffee of course) only to see we were getting beat. I thought to myself, no biggy it's just like 06' Albany game and we'll pull it out. About 30min outside Steamboat my phone blew up with texts from everyone in my contact list and people I hadn't talked to in years...that's when I knew things didn't go so well haha

Reaction Score
could affect them more than people think
i think most people think liver's is a huge loss. theyre in for a real fight against St. Bs or LSU in the second round. i dont have them losing then but i do have them going out in the sweet 16 against FSU.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
With the way the game has shifted to emphasize outside shooting and offensive skill over physicality, I think the gap between the top and bottom teams has shrunk a lot. Not that they’re neck and neck, but I’d bet we see it at least a couple more times in the next 20 years.

Reaction Score

Not having Hunter during that loss to UMBC made a huge difference. I am not saying UMBC wouldn't have beaten them with Hunter, but it would've been a lot less likely. But I have to hand it to UMBC, they didn't slow the game down, although Virginia liked the slow pace, they played peddle to the metal and even when they were up with 5 minutes to go they didn't slow it down. But Virginia responded nicely in 2019 with the NC and the basketball Gods were shining down on them as I thought they were going to lose to Purdue, Auburn, and Texas Tech at the end of each game, respectively.

I thought I was going to have to go through the same thing with Albany in 2006. I never really warmed up to that 2006 team.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Was in Vegas saying to myself... why didn’t I lay down a long shot bet. Of course umbc can beat uva. It was so obvious.
Maybe it’s a conference thing... uhart beats Baylor anyone?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Have to hand it to Virginia...they bounced right back the next year to the right side of history by winning the the national championship....

Tell that to auburn fans...

Reaction Score
Tell that to auburn fans...

Yeah...a bitter pill for the SEC and Alabama...to have the ACC win the football and basketball national championships...by beating Alabama and Auburn....

Reaction Score
The first four also contributes to making it a bit more likely that a 16 will win again, since in a 64 team bracket two of them would have been 15 seeds.

Reaction Score
The first four also contributes to making it a bit more likely that a 16 will win again, since in a 64 team bracket two of them would have been 15 seeds.
Very interesting point. Never thought of it that way.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yeah...a bitter pill for the SEC and Alabama...to have the ACC win the football and basketball national championships...by beating Alabama and Auburn....

I meant that obvious double dribble 2 feet from an official that everyone missed, even the auburn bench at the time

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom