OT - 3 Tech Support questions | The Boneyard

OT - 3 Tech Support questions

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
While we await the next game after New Year, a good time to address 3 issues.

1) FIREFOX - Boneyard on my W10 laptop has a msg that tells me to enable Java script for a better experience. Tweets do not show up in posts. I don't know what else I'm missing. How do I enable Java? (Tweets show up fine in Firefox on my phone).

2) ANDROID - Since my uograde to Android 8.1.0, when I want to clear cache, it just shows a circling animation that says "Loading... " but never brings up the Storage screen to show & then delete the cache. This worked fine throughout my time with all Android Nougat versions. Phone is Moto G5 plus.

3) GMAIL - I can't remember what I did years ago to redirect ALL incoming emails from a particular source to go automatically into the Social folder. There are several daily or weekly email sources that I would prefer in Social, that currently go automatically into the Update filter.

Help on any (or all) of the three would be greatly appreciated, whether in this thread, PM, or offline.

Thanks in advance.

PS - Grandkids were massively excited to get Nintendo Switch on Christmas morning.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
For #1 (taken from here -- note: these are advanced settings, so if you screw something up don't blame me :))
  1. In the address bar, type "about:config" (with no quotes), and press Enter.
  2. Click "I'll be careful, I promise"
  3. In the search bar, search for "javascript.enabled" (with no quotes).
  4. Right click the result named "javascript.enabled" and click "Toggle". JavaScript is now disabled/enabled.

Reaction Score
While we await the next game after New Year, a good time to address 3 issues.

1) FIREFOX - Boneyard on my W10 laptop has a msg that tells me to enable Java script for a better experience. Tweets do not show up in posts. I don't know what else I'm missing. How do I enable Java? (Tweets show up fine in Firefox on my phone).

2) ANDROID - Since my uograde to Android 8.1.0, when I want to clear cache, it just shows a circling animation that says "Loading... " but never brings up the Storage screen to show & then delete the cache. This worked fine throughout my time with all Android Nougat versions. Phone is Moto G5 plus.

3) GMAIL - I can't remember what I did years ago to redirect ALL incoming emails from a particular source to go automatically into the Social folder. There are several daily or weekly email sources that I would prefer in Social, that currently go automatically into the Update filter.

Help on any (or all) of the three would be greatly appreciated, whether in this thread, PM, or offline.

Thanks in advance.

PS - Grandkids were massively excited to get Nintendo Switch on Christmas morning.
If it's enabled, turn off tracking protection (it might be called content blocking for firefox) on Firefox to enable embedded tweets.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
For #1 (taken from here -- note: these are advanced settings, so if you screw something up don't blame me :))
  1. In the address bar, type "about:config" (with no quotes), and press Enter.
  2. Click "I'll be careful, I promise"
  3. In the search bar, search for "javascript.enabled" (with no quotes).
  4. Right click the result named "javascript.enabled" and click "Toggle". JavaScript is now disabled/enabled.

I toggled Javascript.enabled and it went from False to True, but still displays (on my current page) "JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding" in a box beneath where it shows Forums -> UConn Athletics-> UConn Men's Basketball.

@CL82, @temery, @RoderickSpode If I turn off Tracking Protection, don't I then get tracked? Seems like it. If that's the case, I'd leave it on because I access Boneyard far more frequently from my phone.

Reaction Score
I toggled Javascript.enabled and it went from False to True, but still displays (on my current page) "JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding" in a box beneath where it shows Forums -> UConn Athletics-> UConn Men's Basketball.

@CL82, @temery, @RoderickSpode If I turn off Tracking Protection, don't I then get tracked? Seems like it. If that's the case, I'd leave it on because I access Boneyard far more frequently from my phone.
Tracking protection doesn't really do anything. It just sends a request to the website that says "please don't track me." Some websites say "oh ok" and others say "lolno"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom