3 Scholarships Left | The Boneyard

3 Scholarships Left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And this is why you keep them open for now.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-riggs-florida-gators-plans-graduate-transfer

I'm not saying UConn should offer Riggs a scholarship. I'm saying there are going to more like him. Wait until after spring ball in case there's any injuries or attrition and plug and play with experienced players.

Cody Riggs, who started 12 games at safety for Florida last fall, intends to graduate this spring and then transfer, Gators coach Will Muschamp said Wednesday.
"Cody Riggs and his parents came to me and he's going to finish up in May and transfer to another school to finish his last year of eligibility," Muschamp said. "[He] wanted a fresh start. I appreciate his contributions to Florida."
Riggs, a 5-foot-9, 190-pound fourth-year junior, was fourth on the team with 51 tackles in 2013. He played cornerback his first three years at Florida and could be looking to return to his original position.

Reaction Score
And this is why you keep them open for now.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-riggs-florida-gators-plans-graduate-transfer

I'm not saying UConn should offer Riggs a scholarship. I'm saying there are going to more like him. Wait until after spring ball in case there's any injuries or attrition and plug and play with experienced players.

Cody Riggs, who started 12 games at safety for Florida last fall, intends to graduate this spring and then transfer, Gators coach Will Muschamp said Wednesday.
"Cody Riggs and his parents came to me and he's going to finish up in May and transfer to another school to finish his last year of eligibility," Muschamp said. "[He] wanted a fresh start. I appreciate his contributions to Florida."
Riggs, a 5-foot-9, 190-pound fourth-year junior, was fourth on the team with 51 tackles in 2013. He played cornerback his first three years at Florida and could be looking to return to his original position.

plus there are a few other unsigned players /athletes...and- aren't we looking for a punter???

Reaction Score
I keep seeing 3 scholarships open but my count brings me to 81 scholarship players which would mean 4 open......Someone help me with whom I am missing.......Did a punter get a scholly? (Wain or Feagles), or a lineman (vechary, bascilla, murphy) or our long snapper Mueller?

I've got:
QB: 5
RB: 6
FB: 2
TE: 5
WR: 9
OL: 15

DL: 14
LB: 11
CB: 7
S: 6
K:1
P:0

42+38+1= 81

I must be overlooking someone.....Anyone have any idea who?

Reaction Score
From a JB wrap-up on TOS:

>>On potentially adding to the class:

"I would say that there is room, but I would like to not [have to add anyone]. If something changed I reserve the right to add. We're not at this point at 85 [scholarships] if that is the question. What we have is walk-ons on the team that may be worthy of scholarship consideration. So we won't know that until we get a chance to work with the team. We always like to have the opportunity to reward players that have walked on and are part of the organization that are performing and in the two-deep to be sure that we're being fair to everyone. So we have some room there. Next year, 2015, is going to be a small group. There's not a lot of seniors leaving, and we sure hope that there's not attrition. We're working towards a zero attrition. We want and need everyone in the organization. So we like to think that we can recruit to a bigger number in 2015 by having a few extra scholarships.<<

My sense is he will add only if something overwhelmingly beneficial and unforeseen suddenly falls in his lap - but not a pressing priority. The reward carrot for walk-on's is a nice thought.

Reaction Score
From a JB wrap-up on TOS:

>>On potentially adding to the class:

"I would say that there is room, but I would like to not [have to add anyone]. If something changed I reserve the right to add. We're not at this point at 85 [scholarships] if that is the question. What we have is walk-ons on the team that may be worthy of scholarship consideration. So we won't know that until we get a chance to work with the team. We always like to have the opportunity to reward players that have walked on and are part of the organization that are performing and in the two-deep to be sure that we're being fair to everyone. So we have some room there. Next year, 2015, is going to be a small group. There's not a lot of seniors leaving, and we sure hope that there's not attrition. We're working towards a zero attrition. We want and need everyone in the organization. So we like to think that we can recruit to a bigger number in 2015 by having a few extra scholarships.<<

My sense is he will add only if something overwhelmingly beneficial and unforeseen suddenly falls in his lap - but not a pressing priority. The reward carrot for walk-on's is a nice thought.

It's great to hear some of the walkons may be developing into scholarship material. That's a nice way to add depth and its always good to promote from within.

Reaction Score
Need a Kicker and Punter on Scolly. We have no Punter and if Puyol goes down it's a problem.

Reaction Score
Need a Kicker and Punter on Scolly. We have no Punter and if Puyol goes down it's a problem.

On the roster, UConn has 2 punters, 1 kicker and 1 kicker/punter. Having only one on scholarship is not unusual for a college.

Reaction Score
3 open scholarships gives you flexibility in many ways. You could grab a 5th year graduated senior from another school. You could give scholarship to a deserving walk-on. You could sign another player late. You can have a larger recruiting class next year. Also, could there be an opening for one or more of the 3 academic casualties to earn their way back onto the team? (Probably only Norris or Hemingway.)

Reaction Score
On the roster, UConn has 2 punters, 1 kicker and 1 kicker/punter. Having only one on scholarship is not unusual for a college.

Yes, it is. can you name one year where we did not have at least 2 in the last decade? This is a primary area of concern for me. Special teams can swing field position bigtime.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is. can you name one year where we did not have at least 2 in the last decade? This is a primary area of concern for me. Special teams can swing field position bigtime.

I hear you, but I think one of the P or K on the current roster may get a scholarship, especially if someone wins the P job.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing 3 scholarships open but my count brings me to 81 scholarship players which would mean 4 open.Someone help me with whom I am missing..Did a punter get a scholly? (Wain or Feagles), or a lineman (vechary, bascilla, murphy) or our long snapper Mueller?

I've got:

42+38+1= 81

I think we have 8 corners.

Summers
Watkins
Jones
Williams
Hadley
Marder
Clark
Stevenson

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I keep seeing 3 scholarships open but my count brings me to 81 scholarship players which would mean 4 open.Someone help me with whom I am missing..Did a punter get a scholly? (Wain or Feagles), or a lineman (vechary, bascilla, murphy) or our long snapper Mueller?

I've got:

42+38+1= 81

I thought I read somewhere along the way - over the years - that Mueller was on scholarship now. If Mueller is on schollie, we have 3 spaces, if not, we have 4.

Its an interesting strategy for Diaco to leave 3 or 4 spaces open. Let the word spread and maybe a couple decent transfers will shake loose after spring ball from the P5. I'll take another Shakim Phillips please.

Reaction Score
I think we have 8 corners.

Summers
Watkins
Jones
Williams
Hadley
Marder
Clark
Stevenson

I have Marder as a Safety. So if he is a CB then we only have 5 Safeties which makes 81 still.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
3 open scholarships gives you flexibility in many ways. You could grab a 5th year graduated senior from another school. You could give scholarship to a deserving walk-on. You could sign another player late. You can have a larger recruiting class next year. Also, could there be an opening for one or more of the 3 academic casualties to earn their way back onto the team? (Probably only Norris or Hemingway.)
Hemingway failed to enroll for the Spring Semester. Non-students are ineligible for a current year scholarship.

Reaction Score
I have Marder as a Safety. So if he is a CB then we only have 5 Safeties which makes 81 still.
Marder played CB for us a little last season... but not during significant moments in the game.. With his size, I'm hoping he has developed a little more to contribute there. At least be in nickel coverage.

Reaction Score
This isn't that unusual a strategy for a new coach I don't think. He came in late, half the class aren't guys he recruited, and by the time he got on board, lots of guys he would have wanted were already committed. So it makes some sense to hold a couple of schollies to allow you to bring in a larger class next year, when you can be sure that everyone is your type of guy and you've been in there from day 1 recruiting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom