OT: - 3 pt shooting | The Boneyard

OT: 3 pt shooting

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I watched the Houston Rockets shoot 54 3's last night in a regulation game. A win in Chicago without Harden. They also out rebounded the Bulls by 14. I looked at 3pt attempts among D1 schools. Nova is 30th and W. Virginia 25th. Uconn is 219th. There are many excellent teams below UConn. Kentucky is 342 out of 351. It seems the college teams have been reluctant to embrace the strategy. Thoughts? BTW, Rutgers 337, URI 310.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I watched the Houston Rockets shoot 54 3's last night in a regulation game. A win in Chicago without Harden. They also out rebounded the Bulls by 14. I looked at 3pt attempts among D1 schools. Nova is 30th and W. Virginia 25th. Uconn is 219th. There are many excellent teams below UConn. Kentucky is 342 out of 351. It seems the college teams have been reluctant to embrace the strategy. Thoughts? BTW, Rutgers 337, URI 310.

It's a math equation depends on what % a team can hit 3's. It was the big talk of the Sloan conference a few years ago.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
You have to take into account the extra minutes and shorter shot clock in the NBA. 48 minutes and a 24 second shot clock means a minimum of 60 possessions per team. 40 minutes and a 30 second shot clock means 40 possessions per team in the NCAA. Obviously those are minimums but it means there are probably about 33% more possessions per team in the NBA. 54 three point attempts works out to about 36 in an NCAA game. Nova averages about 26.5/game. Remember too that Nova probably has a lot more blowouts where they aren't hoisting threes early in the shot clock for a good part of the second half which will skew that stat down some.

Bottom line, I don't think the numbers show college teams are less likely to use a 3 point strategy.

Reaction Score
There are a lot more NCAA teams vulnerable around the rim than there are in the NBA. If you think your team can manufacture easy 2PA, you take it. There is also the fear that one off shooting night ends your tourney run, whereas 2PT% stays flatter from game to game.

Also, you have to play to your strengths. Kentucky is full of athletes, but not shooters. The only Rhode Island player who shoots great percentages across the board is Jared Terrell. Both teams/coaches play very physical defense and historically haven’t had that many finesse/touch guards. Roy Williams is the same way. Sean Miller has been trending into this mold too.

Jay Wright loves shooters. Brunson, Bridges, DiVincenzo, Booth, Hart, Arcidiacono... all can light it up. Personally, I love Wright’s approach. He doesn’t need to land 5* kids every year, but he recruits people who can shoot and defend. Since 2014, his teams have shot a ton of threes and been offensive powerhouses. You can see Woj trying to do the same at Marquette.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There are a lot more NCAA teams vulnerable around the rim than there are in the NBA. If you think your team can manufacture easy 2PA, you take it. There is also the fear that one off shooting night ends your tourney run, whereas 2PT% stays flatter from game to game.

Also, you have to play to your strengths. Kentucky is full of athletes, but not shooters. The only Rhode Island player who shoots great percentages across the board is Jared Terrell. Both teams/coaches play very physical defense and historically haven’t had that many finesse/touch guards. Roy Williams is the same way. Sean Miller has been trending into this mold too.

Jay Wright loves shooters. Brunson, Bridges, DiVincenzo, Booth, Hart, Arcidiacono... all can light it up. Personally, I love Wright’s approach. He doesn’t need to land 5* kids every year, but he recruits people who can shoot and defend. Since 2014, his teams have shot a ton of threes and been offensive powerhouses. You can see Woj trying to do the same at Marquette.
Thing is these coaches have systems and recruit to it. Ollie is recruits like it’s the 10th round of the fantasy draft going for highest ranked available players and then before you know it you know it he has 4 defenses and no QB

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom