3 point shooting. | The Boneyard

3 point shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At one point in the middle of the second half, the difference was 3 point shooting only, and the Oregon lead was 15 points. They were shooting 60%, 9-16. UConn was 3-14.

A small swing in these numbers, say 6-16 for Oregon, and 5-14 for UConn, and the 15 point deficit becomes a 3 point lead.

Reaction Score
Some of it was bad luck. I doubt Boucher will hit 5 in a row again. But its a lot easier to get in a rhythm when your first few looks are completely uncontested.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I had the same thought. But if we're being honest, some of our 3 point attempts were ill advised and out of rhythm. We also have to do a better job of closing out on opposing shooters.

Our freshman will continue to grow and those numbers will improve...

Reaction Score
It is crazy how good teams shoot the 3 ball against us
But it is not by accident.....when you're completely wide open, how much harder than a foul shot is a 3? It's the uncontested 3s that are killing us because there are usually more than ten per game. That's just plain unacceptable at this level.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have gone from not liking our offense to outright hating it.

I missed the first half. There must have been 3 fastbreaks in the second half where we got two guys even or possibly behind their last defender, and the UConn guy pulls up at the 3 point line looking to take a jumper. Vital doesn't come up with that on his own, Ollie must be coaching them that way. If UConn's players are even or behind the last defender, or in a 2 on 1, UConn needs to be attacking the basket, not pulling up for a 3. We can get 3's anytime.

Virtually all the off the ball screening is for long, looping flex cuts to players running away from the basket. Hey Kevin, you don't need to screen the guys running away from the hoop. How about some screens for guys running to the hoop?

How many times did Adams or Purvis get all the way to the hoop and then kick out for a 3? If the guard gets that deep, he should only be kicking out if the defense has completely sold out to stop penetration. We are just kicking out because...I have no idea.

Someone has to crash the boards if we are playing 4 out, 1 in on offense.

On defense, I like the pressure. I think we have some mediocre man to man defenders, but when the other team is making long passes, it creates opportunities for steals that we won't get in a vanilla half court defense..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom