3-day northern New England getaway | The Boneyard

3-day northern New England getaway

Reaction Score
Looking for an area in Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont for a 3 day getaway with my girlfriend from Sunday through next Wednesday. Not sure what's open. Suggestions on restaurants, places to stay, and other points of interest would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Reaction Score
Go hiking/camping on the Appalachian Trail. No better New England getaway. Just did it last weekend here in CT and it was amazing.

Reaction Score
Not exactly your area, but North Adams, MA is a lot of fun. The Porches is expensive, but a beautiful place to stay and Mass MoCA is my favorite art museum. Good food scene and also close to VT.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
We're considering a 4 day something, be it in NY or NE so this thread hit the spot.

I spent a couple days in a beach town in New Hampshire during a week trip to Boston, and it was a very fond memory. Strip of stores along the water front - can't remember the name but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Could have been Hampton Beach?

Reaction Score
North Conway, New Hampshire. Drive up the auto road of Mt. Washington, and there are awesome restaurants in that area (Tuckermans Tavern is my favorite restaurant ever). Some unbelievable hiking in the White Mountains too..both long and short hikes. Also really nice golf courses if you are into that

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mass MoCA is my favorite art museum. Good food scene and also close to VT.
Agreed, one should visit the incredible Mass MoCA whenever in the area. Plus, the Clark reopens this weekend.

Reaction Score
We're considering a 4 day something, be it in NY or NE so this thread hit the spot.
We had a big trip planned for our five year anniversary, but instead my wife and I booked a two-day trip to the Catskills with Getaway: https://getaway.house/catskills-west

Looks really cool and looking forward to it. We head up there the last three days of July. Love upstate NY.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Sounds like it. That where my parents met.

I have a bunch of cousins in the area on my side, and then my fiancee's side is mostly in Boston / MA area ... so we stayed with her family for a couple days then did a 2 day stay there ... I think Hampton it was.

Had some good grub, found a decent hotel for very cheap and only about a mile away, so we got 2 full days of beach time and some good time during the more touristy type food/ice cream/etc.

On the second day we found a pretty secluded section of the beach there that was gorgeous and not super busy with people. It all worked perfectly for a short little stay. With the virus, I have no idea how things are different but I'm sure it is.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
We had a big trip planned for our five year anniversary, but instead my wife and I booked a two-day trip to the Catskills with Getaway: https://getaway.house/catskills-west

Looks really cool and looking forward to it. We head up there the last three days of July. Love upstate NY.

That looks awesome and I've never actually been to the Catskills. I think we're going to rough it a bit more than that, but that doesn't seem too bad for a few nights.

Reaction Score
Looking for an area in Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont for a 3 day getaway with my girlfriend from Sunday through next Wednesday. Not sure what's open. Suggestions on restaurants, places to stay, and other points of interest would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Vermont is taking the virus very, very seriously. Even if you qualify to enter the state legally, or don't care, we just spent a week there and most restaurants and many stores remain closed. Unless you just want peace, quiet and scenery, I wouldn't recommend it at the moment.

Reaction Score
Lake Winnipesaukee area in New Hampshire is really nice. The area surrounding the lake, Laconia, hiking, FunSpot, Clark’s trading post...

Reaction Score
Interesting. If you don't mind me asking, what does it cost to have a girlfriend from Sunday through Wednesday?
Not as much as having a girlfriend for 50 years but nowhere near as rewarding. Especially when the grandchildren begin to surround you both. Highly recommended

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Leaving for two week stay on Sebago Lake outside of Portland. Go every year. Do recommend.

Reaction Score
About Vermont, you can't travel there without restriction unless you meet certain criteria on where you're coming from: Cross State Travel Information | Agency of Commerce and Community Development

Same with Maine to a lesser extent.

New Hampshire recently removed all quarantine requirements for out of state travelers if you're coming from New England.

Massachusetts has a blanket "urged to quarantine for 14 days" if you're coming from out of state, though I can't speak to how seriously that's enforced for people checking into hotels or Airbnbs.

Reaction Score
What do you like to do? Hike? Go to beaches? Check out a more urban area (like Portland, ME which is close to beaches and has a great restaurant scene)? Northern New England has all of these things. Do you want to try to do all of these things?

Reaction Score
Londerry/South Londonderry, VT. Near Stratton Mountain. My wife and I went up last year and rented a rustic barn AirBnB in South Londonderry that was freaking amazing. We hiked every day, did a gondola ride at Stratton (which is now open). Lots of great farm to table restaurants up there. JJ Hapgood's in Peru was fantastic, but I think it's takeout only right now. Main and Mountain in Ludlow has a fantastic outdoor bar. Eat at TacosTacos in Ludlow beforehand which also has outdoor seating. I can send you the AirBnB link if you'd like.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
North Conway, New Hampshire. Drive up the auto road of Mt. Washington, and there are awesome restaurants in that area (Tuckermans Tavern is my favorite restaurant ever). Some unbelievable hiking in the White Mountains too..both long and short hikes. Also really nice golf courses if you are into that

Will second this - one area of NE I truly miss being in Pgh. While it's not foliage season, drives on the Kancamagus and Bear Notch Rd are still beautiful in summer. A couple of good (relatively) short hikes are Mt. Chocura and Mt. Cannon, both have sweet lookouts, neither is more than 4 hours in and out. Sabbady Falls is another short but pretty hike. I've only golfed the Mt. Washington (Bretton Woods) course, but have seen the Waterville Valley layout enough times during hikes to want to play there.

It's been awhile since I've been up there, so can't do restaurant recos as most all my old stomping grounds are long gone, but down around Lincoln where the Kancamagus meets Rte 3, there were always some great breakfast spots (e.g. Flapjacks), and there are a bunch of new burger/brewpub places, so don't just stick to N. Conway. It's also a fairly short drive (90 mins) over to Sebago Lake if you wanted to check that out and Portland isn't much farther if you wanted to check that out (or LL Bean a bit up the road). Always fun to watch seaplanes taking off and landing there. I don't recall a ton to do beyond scenery, but I guess it's built up more now.

Reaction Score
Go hiking/camping on the Appalachian Trail. No better New England getaway. Just did it last weekend here in CT and it was amazing.

The heat/humidity have been brutal recently with bad storms, I've been doing sections of it this spring/summer and it's great when the weather is good but i would just be careful of the weather.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
About Vermont, you can't travel there without restriction unless you meet certain criteria on where you're coming from: Cross State Travel Information | Agency of Commerce and Community Development

Same with Maine to a lesser extent.

New Hampshire recently removed all quarantine requirements for out of state travelers if you're coming from New England.

Massachusetts has a blanket "urged to quarantine for 14 days" if you're coming from out of state, though I can't speak to how seriously that's enforced for people checking into hotels or Airbnbs.
Maine has no quarantine/test requirements for VT, NH,CT. NJ, NY

Reaction Score
We've always been able to snag a deal through Groupon for a suite @ The Pointe Hotel right at the base of Okemo in Vermont for like $115 a night.

Actually just looked at it again, but my wife said what's the point? We'll be able to do like 25% of what we would normally do up there.

So yeah, unless everything you're planning to do involves not being near people, if not, just gotta kinda stick a fork in these small vacations for a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom