3-22-2021 Nika Muhl New York Times Article. | The Boneyard

3-22-2021 Nika Muhl New York Times Article.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Foreign players will play big roles as schools fight for top U.S. prospects. Colorado let Stanford “steal” two top instate prospects and relies on a Danish long shooter and a New Zealand post/forward to move into WNIT Sweet Sixteen. Oregon might have won a NC last year on the backs of foreign players.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While not flashy like some of the others. I liked 2 plays of Paige

1) Her step back 3 pt shot at the key. Just showing her being completely confident and in control
2) Her curl into the lane but before going up for her patented mid range, a subtle change of pace on her dribble let her drive in with her left hand. So economical but effective. I know she loves the mid range but I think mixing in a few more drives will make her even more dangerous.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Very interesting article on Nika that came out today. NYTimes link:

UConn's Nika Muhl, of Croatia, Highlights International Trend - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

and here is an Alternative Link:

Great article and it certainly provides a possible explanation for why Nika is a great battler. If anything I like her all the more after reading this article.

Reaction Score
Every time I see Nika on the court - I smile.

There are others who score more, are taller, shot better 3s - but every single time I see Nika play - I smile.

If women's basketball is looking for an icon representing sheer ferocity of play I believe it is she.

I'm certainly no pro, but I've watched some good teams for some years and every single time I see Nika on the court - I smile.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I liked this:

“There is a lot of emphasis on individual development,” said (coach Dean) Nemec, who is also team president, marketing manager and driver of the team van.

And the part about the UVA kid who lifts tree limbs and bags of flour because they don't have any weights. The players have to really love what they're doing to go through all that.

Reaction Score
Would love to know if Geno really focuses on Europe or sees the recruits there as fillers for specific short term holes. There were times in the past where we didn't know if there would be enough players for the 2019-20 team and magically Anna shows up. This year, we appeared to be short a guard and Nika comes in. Just curious where he sees international players on his radar (excluding Canada which has hit two home runs for the Huskies).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nika plays with an attitude and an edge. She goes full throttle. She runs the show like a master. And she is a great kid.

She will be playing tomorrow night. Bank on it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Would love to know if Geno really focuses on Europe or sees the recruits there as fillers for specific short term holes. There were times in the past where we didn't know if there would be enough players for the 2019-20 team and magically Anna shows up. This year, we appeared to be short a guard and Nika comes in. Just curious where he sees international players on his radar (excluding Canada which has hit two home runs for the Huskies).
I think probably where he sees US kids - he is always very selective and the reality is the best European and Asian players mostly go directly to professional status. Canadians are more likely to go the US college route.

So, there really isn't a wide pool of talented recruits at Uconn's level of primary interest that would replace the top of his US recruit interest.

Reaction Score
I liked this:

“There is a lot of emphasis on individual development,” said (coach Dean) Nemec, who is also team president, marketing manager and driver of the team van.

And the part about the UVA kid who lifts tree limbs and bags of flour because they don't have any weights. The players have to really love what they're doing to go through all that.
I know - her "pro" team in Croatia sounds pretty much like your typical AAU team, except with no shoe sponsorship.

Reaction Score
I liked this:

Must remind them of the women's weight rm at the bubble!

Reaction Score
5’10” ??
otherwise a “solid” article.
you can look it up

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member