3-13-21 Saturday Conference Championship Viewing Guide | The Boneyard

3-13-21 Saturday Conference Championship Viewing Guide

Reaction Score
Lots of games, most of which were not decided til yesterday. Here's the first installment, the remainder of which will be posted in early afternoon:

11 AM:
American East: #6 Umass-Lowell @ #4 Hartford - ESPN2:

Having La Salle transfer Traci Carter get another year of eligibility was huge for John Gallagher. With his two-way ability (11.4p, 3.5a, 2.5a), Carter is the team’s leader but what makes Hartford unique in the America East is their size: sophomore big Miroslav Stafl (10.4p) and sophomore stretch big Hunter Marks (9.5p) are both 6’9+.

UMass-Lowell is led by senior 6’4 guard Obadiah Noel (20.6p, 3.2a). After almost losing his job after the 18/19 season, John Gallagher has had an impressive two straight years in West Hartford. I'll be rooting for the locals.

1 PM:
MEAC: #N3 Morgan State vs #2 Norfolk State - ESPN2:

One of the covid affected championship games. Thanks to more attention and desire to play in HBCUs, the MEAC has benefitted by having more talent than a typical year and I expect this game to be a decent one. Both squads are tough, defensive teams that make it hard on the perimeter. Morgan State is a transfer-heavy team, led by former Jacksonville State 6’4 junior De’Torrion Ware (17.2p, 5.7r) and 6’9 senior UNLV/FGCU transfer Troy Baxter Jr (16.1p, 4.5r). Former Cincy wing Trevor Moore also starts for Morgan State.

Norfolk State is led by their physical backcourt of 6’3 210 senior lead guard Devante Carter (15.6p, 5.2r, 4a) and 6’1 225 junior Joe Bryant (11.3p, 4.3r, 2a, 38.6 3p%). For a low-major league, should be a solid game.

4 PM:
MAAC championship - #9 Iona vs #7 Fairfield - ESPNU:

Iona is not your typical #9 seed in the MAAC…you could argue they’re the best team in the conference. In Pitino’s first year in New Rochelle, Iona is one win away from making the tourney. In typical Pitino fashion, the Gaels make it really hard to take good shots. Senior 6’4 wing Isaiah Ross is their leading scorer (18.8p, 40.0 3p%) and freshman big Nelly Junior Joseph has been a huge surprise (11.3p, 7.4r, 1.4b). However, their most important player could be Asante Gist, the fifth year senior who provides the team a calming presence within a team that gives up a lot of turnovers on offense (327th in turnover rate). My personal favorite player to watch is the uber-athletic 6'5 junior wing Berrick JeanLouis.

With Fairfield, their season changed once Richmond transfer Jake Wojcik and Rice transfer Zach Crisler got their waivers approved in late December. Fairfield is led by their trio of upperclassman wings: Wojcik is the team’s leading scorer and provides the team a much needed outside threat(13.5p, 39.6 3p%) while seniors Taj Benning and Jesus Cruz are 6’5ish, 200lbish physical wings combining to average 20.8p, 8.5r, 2.6a, 2.1 st per game. I fully expect Iona to win this won handedly, but will be rooting for the local team.

Reaction Score
6 PM:
Big 12 - #12 Oklahoma State vs #13 Texas - ESPN:

No word yet whether or not Oklahoma State will play in the tourney, but 8-1 in their last nine, no one wants to play the Cowboys if they are allowed in. Cade Cunningham is my #1 pick in the NBA draft: 19.8p, 6.5r, 3.6a, 1.4s, 41.1 3p%. Texas is looking for their first Big 12 title. They have a potential lottery pick in Greg Brown (10.0p, 6.6r, 1.1b), but the leader of Texas is leukemia survivor Andrew Jones. The senior averages 14.7 points per game and along with Courtney Ramey and Matt Coleman III the Longhorns have that old backcourt that is often sorely needed for a March run.

Mountain West - Utah State vs #19 San Diego State - CBS:

Despite a freshman duo playing all the point guard minutes, Utah State has continued to impress this season, led by junior big Neemias Queta (14.8p, 10.0r, 2.7r, 3.0b) while 6’5 225 Virginia transfer Marco Anthony (10.2p, 4.8r, 3.0a, 36.4 3p%) is a matchup nightmare. San Diego State is an excellent shooting team and their heart and soul is senior forward Matt Mitchell (15.4p, 5.5r, 2.0a. 1.5s, 37.5 3p%). Should be a great one.

SWAC - #1 Prairie View A&M vs #3 Texas Southern - ESPNU:

I don’t know much about the SWAC as a whole, but Texas Southern is an interesting program to follow as a “last chance U” for some high profile recruits. Case in point, former Oklahoma State point guard Michael Weathers is Texas Southern’s best player, averaging 16.7p, 5.2r, 3.6a, 2.2s, 1.1b while John Walker III (Texas A&M), Galen Alexander (Georgetown) and Chris Baldwin (UMass) are other notable transfers. For PVA&M, former Nebraska guard Cam Mack is their two-way whiz, averaging 7.9 assists and 2.7 steals per game.

6:30:
Big East Championship - Some team vs Georgetown - FOX:

Go Hoyas!!! A win for them gets another Big East into the tourney and for a lot of other reasons, some basketball related, some “other”, will just make it feel awesome if the Hoyas win. The most excited I’ll be rooting for a non-UConn team in the championship game in a long, long time.

7:30:
MAC — #5 Ohio vs #2 Buffalo - ESPN2:

Can’t talk about Ohio basketball without mentioning Jason Preston. If you haven’t seen him play yet, he’s a ton of fun to watch, a 6’4 wiry point guard (16.3p, 6.9r, 7.2a, 40.6 3p%) who was a former walk-on and didn’t start for his high school team. No surprise Buffalo is in the title game, they have four players averaging 13+ ppg. Junior wing Jonathan Williams leads the squad w/ 17.8p, 7.0r, 2.5a, 37.9 3p% while junior point guard Ronaldo Segu is an electric spark plug that is a lot of fun to watch. Should be a good one!

8:00:
Big Sky #5 Montana State vs #2 Eastern Washington- ESPNU:

My wife and in-laws are pissed about this game. My wife is a Montana alum (so boo Montana State) and my North Dakota State in-laws dislike Eastern Washington (something about their red field). Eastern Washington is led by junior big Tanner Groves (16.5p, 7.8r) while Montana State plays three guys who average between 14-15 ppg.

Reaction Score
2021 Big East Conference Championship

6:00PM pre-game on FOX.
Tip-off @ 6:30pm

8 GEORGETOWN vs 2 CREIGHTON
Gus Johnson, Jim Jackson

Line: Creighton -8.5/143

Last edited:
Reaction Score
8:30:
ACC Championship - #4 Georgia Tech vs #2 Florida State - ESPN:

I tend to care less about the P5 conference tournaments compared to the mid-majors, but both of these teams have a lot to gain in this game. Florida State is on a bit of a mini-snide, 2-2 in their last four with losses against UNC and Notre Dame so an ACC team can do wonders to their mojo. On the flip side, Georgia Tech is HOT, winners of 7 straight and this is Pastner’s best offensive squad ever at Georgia Tech (29th in KenPom O after four straight years of 170+) thanks to three 15+ point scorers including senior big Moses Wright (17.5p, 8r, 2.3a, 1.5s, 1.6b, 41.4 3p%), junior wing Michael Devoe (14.9p, 4.4r, 3.3a, 39.9 3p%) and senior point Jose Alvarado (15.4p, 4.2a, 40.4 3p%, 2.9s). Alvarado missed some time Thursday with a knee injury, so is he fully healthy entering Madness?

9 PM:
Conference USA - W3 North Texas vs E1 Western Kentucky - CBSSN:

With five teams in the top-100 KenPom, the C-USA is arguably the most competitive it has been in its current formation. Western Kentucky is led by junior big Charles Bassey (17.7p, 11.7r, 3.2b) but their top-seven is one of the best amongst mid-majors. Senior guard Taveion Hollingsworth is a high-flying bucket getter and Carson Williams is one of my favorite players around, a 6’5 240 forward with a YMCA game. North Texas rosters four 10+ ppg players, but are more known for their strong D, both in making it hard to take good shots but also generating steals. Senior guard Javion Hamlet is their heart and soul (14.7p, 4.5a). A game worth watching, for sure.

9:30
Southland - #1 Nicholls vs #2 Abilene Christian - ESPN2:

While Nicholls is the #1 seed, Abilene Christian is the team that can steal a game in March Madness. Ranked the 45th best defense in the nation, ACU is #1 in causing turnovers with a whopping 26.9% rate. On the other hand, Nicholls is more balanced and a team built on transfers (three starters are transfers) and five players average double-digits.

10 PM:
WAC - #1 Grand Canyon vs #3 New Mexico State - ESPNU:

Great matchup between the two “blue bloods” of the WAC. Bryce Drew has been a “thunderous” hire for GCU and he’s brought back the tough defensive mindset that GCU used to be known for thanks to the 6th best defensive fg%. The Antelopes bring P5 size led by senior bigs Alessandro Lever and Wichita State transfer Asbjorn Midtgaard. Combined, they average 27.7p and15.5r with Midtgaard bringing power to the blocks while Lever stretches the D (41.9 3p%).

After finishing the 19-20 season with an eighteen game winning streak, the Aggies started the 20-21 without a home and the toll it took was evident after losing their first four D1 games of the season. They’ve finished the season winning five straight. For as long as Jans has been at the helm, the Aggies have been an elite rebounding team and they continue the case this season (15th in O rebounding rate and 82nd in D rebounding rate). Should be an excellent game.

10:30 PM:
Pac-12 - #5 Oregon State vs #3 Colorado
- ESPN:

Colorado is one of my elite eight dark horses: they’re old, slow and have a great bucket getter with McKinley Wright IV (15.4p, 5.6a). Tulsa grad transfer Jeriah Horne has been one of the best transfers in the nation, averaging 11.6p, 5.9r, 44 3p%. After a putrid start to the season, Oregon State is heating up, winning five of their last six thanks to their senior point leader Ethan Thompson (15.6p, 3.9a). Would be fun to see the Beavers steal a bid.

11:30 PM:
Big West -#1 UC Santa Barbara vs #2 UC Irvine - ESPN2:

Great matchup between the cream of the Big West. Both squads are top-100 KenPom teams with UC Irvine known for their aggressive defense (31 KenPom) led by its elite interior defense (5th overall). Their upperclassman bigs combo of stretch forward Collin Welp (14.8p, 7.8r, 36.5 3p%) and traditional big Brad Greene (9.6p, 7.6r, 2.0b) bring P5 size.

UC Santa Barbara is another team with good size between junior big Amadou Sow (13.7p, 7.5r) and Oregon transfer Miles Norris (9.2p, 38 3p%). The star of their squad is former Oregon State guard JaQuori McLaughlin (15.9p, 5.3a, 1.6s, 39.1 3p%). Should be an excellent game and the winner will be a tough opponent as a potential 12-14 seed.

Alright guys, it’s been a lot of fun doing these Saturday previews. It’ll be a mountain to try one for next Saturday but it's my spring break so I'll try to give it a go. Thanks again for reading!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom