22 Seasons and For the 1st Time Just Unenthused | The Boneyard

22 Seasons and For the 1st Time Just Unenthused

Reaction Score
I’ve been with program since 98 buying season tickets, and religiously enjoying UConn football game days. I have always been hopeful (even when you shouldn’t be) and excited coming into a new season. But for some reason this year, I am having trouble even trying to care. Is it the lost year? The lack of progress with RE? Going Indy? Anybody else feel the same way? Even through PP, Red Pants, and RE2 season 1 and 2, the belief was there. I don’t get it.

Reaction Score
I’ve been with program since 98 buying season tickets, and religiously enjoying UConn football game days. I have always been hopeful (even when you shouldn’t be) and excited coming into a new season. But for some reason this year, I am having trouble even trying to care. Is it the lost year? The lack of progress with RE? Going Indy? Anybody else feel the same way? Even through PP, Red Pants, and RE2 season 1 and 2, the belief was there. I don’t get it.
I've pointed it out several times before, but look at Edsall 1.0's first 5 years and compare it to Edsall 2.0's first 5 years. Factoring in the fact that the AAC is light years better than the Yankee Conference, Edsall is on a near identical pace in terms of progress. 4-6 wins is a successful season this year and we are an upset or 2 away from winning 7-8 this year. Spanos has a proven track record of greatly improving defenses through his first 3 years as DC. I think the biggest questions mark will be QB. If whoever is selected can make plays (especially with possibly the greatest receiving corps this program has seen at DI level), then we have a great chance at stringing together some wins. I think we will see Edsall's signature run heavy and PA pass offense he loves to run, but I think we will have to Oline and RB's to really ground and pound this year.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a broader issue, and not tied to UCFB. Personally, I’m not interested in going to certain sporting events just yet. Min capacity, diff vibe, mask, etc. it’ll be back, but it’s not back yet, at least for me.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to the season and going to a few away games like Army, UMass and Clemson or Vandy. Prefer the indie schedules, filled with the type of teams that drew many into the program. Had no expectation for a fast turnaround with Edsall. I did expect it would be similar to his first time here . I like to believe we will be seeing it this year. But either way...til death do us part.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wait till UConn sports gets a corporate sponsor. The LA Rams are showing the world the NFL is intent on adding ads to their jerseys.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think it’s a broader issue, and not tied to UCFB. Personally, I’m not interested in going to certain sporting events just yet. Min capacity, diff vibe, mask, etc. it’ll be back, but it’s not back yet, at least for me.
Like most things....it isn't just one thing...it's many things.

For me....sports in general is just not the same due to the pandemic. Different energy without fans.

But....I also think it's hard to be connected to this team when you haven't seen them play in over 1.5 years. That's why I pushed for streaming a scrimmage. Try to keep the fans connected to the team. As I have said...I don't think Edsall is fan friendly.

The OPs comment about going independent iemthe opposite for me...i love the diverse schedule. Another AAC schedule would be boring.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Football season? I'll be totally jacked for it come August. Yeah things seem down at the moment, but there is a decent chance here we surprise in Fresno and that has me quietly enthused for fall.

The boys are truly bigger. Watch all the spring tape, physically its a different squad. The situation is such that its actually going to put pressure on the staff to use the talent they have with schemes because physically the players are going to be there. No one will be able to blame size/strength for failure in 2021.

I do see a few areas of concern:
i) Need a QB to step up and deliver B+ football. I dont care which one.
ii) The entire OL unit will need to step up. There are pieces there and maybe come this summer they are more on par with the DL. Look for us to try to get a grad transfer to help out.
iii) LB depth; Fortt, Swenson, Mitchell and Morgan look primed to excel. I am concerned with depth beyond those four, but I really like Tui Brown and Fogle for the future after they get a season in. Maybe this is the year for Hunter Webb and WO Justin Bryant.
iv) Offensive scheme - Guifre had decent creativity and balance in 2019....but the bar was low....can they turn it up another notch for 2021 is certainly an unknown. I think its well known we plan to get the ball to Ross as frequently as possible, but that alone wont work, we need something more. Guys like Drayton, Jeffreys, Heron M will need to get their touches...look for Marion as well. Rose and Medlock will need to have their moments...I like Heatherman to have an impact in 2022 rather than 2021. Look for an RB beyond Mensah to bust out this year too. I like Carter and Houston, but I wouldn't count out Gillespsie and Brewton either to have opportunities.

Anyway, its the doldrums now ....I just want to enjoy our short summer first and then turn up the football energy come August...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Between the poor recent performance, the loss of last season, and the lack of marketing not to mention the impact of COVID on everyone's life, I think it is understandable that the OP feels this way. I do think that Edsall is doing a good job of rebuilding the roster, but we won't see if that is a true statement until September. Hopefully, one of the QBs on the roster can take the reins and be successful. If not, Edsall has to be criticized for not taking advantage of the transfer portal as there were ~112 3* or higher QBs available. UMass got a 3* from Colorado, URI got a 4* from Tennessee, Syracuse got a 4* from Miss. St., and Temple got a 4* from Georgia.

Reaction Score
Hard to get excited for this. Really should downgrade the team, getting out of fbs, while painful cold lead to a competitive program.

Reaction Score
Between the poor recent performance, the loss of last season, and the lack of marketing not to mention the impact of COVID on everyone's life, I think it is understandable that the OP feels this way. I do think that Edsall is doing a good job of rebuilding the roster, but we won't see if that is a true statement until September. Hopefully, one of the QBs on the roster can take the reins and be successful. If not, Edsall has to be criticized for not taking advantage of the transfer portal as there were ~112 3* or higher QBs available. UMass got a 3* from Colorado, URI got a 4* from Tennessee, Syracuse got a 4* from Miss. St., and Temple got a 4* from Georgia.
The only comp that is fair is UMASS IMO. Maybe URI, David Summers left SU any mutual interest

Reaction Score

who you kidding ... whiny b*tch

Reaction Score
Any chance URI upgrades to FBS?
Really don't see that that is feasible for them. They almost dropped football about 10 years ago. No stadium or support for one.

Reaction Score
Really not kidding. Carried over 2020 season tickets. It just feels like the program is aimless.
I think it’s because we haven’t played and also we don’t have any interviews or inside info yet. I’m assuming once practice starts on June 1st and they finally allow the media in you will cheer up.
Im excited to see something in June!!

Reaction Score
Football season? I'll be totally jacked for it come August. Yeah things seem down at the moment, but there is a decent chance here we surprise in Fresno and that has me quietly enthused for fall.

The boys are truly bigger. Watch all the spring tape, physically its a different squad. The situation is such that its actually going to put pressure on the staff to use the talent they have with schemes because physically the players are going to be there. No one will be able to blame size/strength for failure in 2021.

I do see a few areas of concern:
i) Need a QB to step up and deliver B+ football. I dont care which one.
ii) The entire OL unit will need to step up. There are pieces there and maybe come this summer they are more on par with the DL. Look for us to try to get a grad transfer to help out.
iii) LB depth; Fortt, Swenson, Mitchell and Morgan look primed to excel. I am concerned with depth beyond those four, but I really like Tui Brown and Fogle for the future after they get a season in. Maybe this is the year for Hunter Webb and WO Justin Bryant.
iv) Offensive scheme - Guifre had decent creativity and balance in 2019....but the bar was low....can they turn it up another notch for 2021 is certainly an unknown. I think its well known we plan to get the ball to Ross as frequently as possible, but that alone wont work, we need something more. Guys like Drayton, Jeffreys, Heron M will need to get their touches...look for Marion as well. Rose and Medlock will need to have their moments...I like Heatherman to have an impact in 2022 rather than 2021. Look for an RB beyond Mensah to bust out this year too. I like Carter and Houston, but I wouldn't count out Gillespsie and Brewton either to have opportunities.

Anyway, its the doldrums now ....I just want to enjoy our short summer first and then turn up the football energy come August...
Is there any word on how Hunter Webb has done at practice?

Reaction Score
Really not kidding. Carried over 2020 season tickets. It just feels like the program is aimless.
No attack, I get your sentiments but you gotta stop running from a biplane, stop quick and it will pass you by. Eleven years of only one 500% season will wear anyone down. The reasons have been hashed to a point of stating again here would be silly.
You are suffering from what is known as LPBIS ( lost pointy ball interest syndrome ) which can happen to many a fan. The only known cure is to start thinking about the victory at Fresno St, and tailgating at home for Holy Cross! The power of positivity pill or an abundance of the beverage of your choice will help. ;)

See you at the game, I rolled my tickets also and don't regret it for a minute. Can't wait for the day I have to ask the band wagoners to let me have my seat, it's been awhile.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom