1. Reminder: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

There’s a link in the top navigation bar for Amazon.com. Purchases made via this link help support The Boneyard. (Dismiss this notice by clicking the x at the top right of the box)
    Dismiss Notice

21 Greatest winning streaks in sports history

Discussion in 'UConn Women's Basketball' started by JS, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JS

JS Moderator

(Slideshow) - Only a couple of them from women's sports.

Check out #5.

Largely considered the greatest women's basketball coach of all time, Geno Auriemma led the Huskies to nearly three full seasons without a loss . . .​

RSHERMVIKES, bags27, EricLA and 3 others like this.
  2. Kaizen

Kaizen

3. EricLA

EricLA Cronus

So remarkable. And so hard to rank how difficult each win streak was. But the level of dominance of all the teams listed was something special to see during the times they occurred...

UCONNfan1, RSHERMVIKES and Kaizen like this.
  4. bags27

bags27

I'd put UConn's at #4, ahead of the Lakers. But the other three are as jaw-dropping as is UConn's and certainly deserve to be part of the top 4, IMHO. But Cleveland is making a real play to be included in that group. Just amazing....

RSHERMVIKES and Kaizen like this.
  5. Kaizen

Kaizen

If the number counts UConn should be #1. No one can beat 111.

6. j66kicker

j66kicker

See #8: "De La Salle wins 151 consecutive high school football games"

That's about 15 consecutive high school football seasons, no?

cockhrnleghrn, DaddyChoc and Kaizen like this.
  7. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

What about U of Miami's Tennis team's 137 match unbeaten streak from 1957-1964....:)

OK, I get it. It's college tennis. Nobody cares...:(

8. Kaizen

Kaizen

My bad since I read from #1 and only up to #5 ....

j66kicker likes this.
  9. triaddukefan

triaddukefan Tobacco Road Guest

Thats the All-time hs fb streak. LaSalle is a Private school. The All time football streak for public schools is 109 held by Charlotte Independence. Thats a little over 7 years here in NC.

10. bballnut90

bballnut90 LV Adherent. Topic Crafter

I know it only covered mainstream sports, but Penn State volleyball should be on there. 109 matches spanning over 4 years in which they won 4 consecutive titles. They also had a single season where they won 110 straight volleyball sets (they won every match 3-0 besides an epic semifinal where they were nearly upset in 5 games).

reno tony, drweo, DaddyChoc and 3 others like this.
  11. nwhoopfan

nwhoopfan

I got tired of them winning all the time, but the PSU women's volleyball streak was very impressive. They were every bit as dominant in their sport as the Huskies were in women's bball.

12. DaddyChoc

DaddyChoc His Chockishness

isnt Trinity Squash Team in there too

meyers7 and oldude like this.
  13. connie

connie

I see the focus here is on team winning streaks. If so, then how about Wayland Baptist Women's college basketball: 131 consecutive games, starting in 1954.

Individual winning streaks? Jahangir Khan:555 consecutive wins in professional squash. Jahangir Khan - Wikipedia

In any event, while these absolute numbers are certainly impressive and entertaining, they cannot tell us too much without knowing, among other things, the strength of the competition and parity among competitors. In this respect, all other things being equal, the Cleveland Indians' 21-game streak in 2017 is more impressive than, say, the Cubs or Giants streaks of decades past. The difference between the best and worst is demonstrably less today than 80+ years ago, while the overall quality of play has undoubtedly increased.

p.s. I disagree with the decision to place UCLA's 88-game streak at No. 1. No rhyme or reason why that would necessarily be more impressive than some of the other (longer) streaks, including UConn's 111 game streak.

drweo likes this.
  14. meyers7

meyers7 Smarty Pants

Trinity Squash was at 252 over 13 years.

There is also Edwin Moses 122 consecutive wins in the 400M hurdles. Alexander Karolin who went undefeated in Greco-Roman Wrestling for 13 years (and at one point didn't give up a point for 6 years). But those are individual, not teams. But still pretty good streaks.

15. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

When I was 12, I beat my friend Butch, matching baseball cards 23 times in a row. That was quite a streak. I should contact Guinness because I'm pretty sure that's a world record....:rolleyes:

MilfordHusky likes this.
  16. MilfordHusky

MilfordHusky Voice of Reason

Did you also play Sundance? ;)

17. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

I was way before arcade games like Sundance. We played Matchies, Leaners & Topsies for hours at a time for baseball cards. If you won you got to keep your opponent's cards, if you lost, bye bye cards.

I was always a Yankee fan, but my biggest triumph was winning Butch's lone Sandy Koufax card that he inadvertently tossed into a Topsies game. It was the only Sandy Koufax card I ever acquired.

18. MilfordHusky

MilfordHusky Voice of Reason

Sorry if my reference was unclear. Here are the Butch and Sundance I was referencing:

[​IMG]

19. oldude

oldude bamboo lover

That Sundance was definitely in my wheelhouse growing up. Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.

MilfordHusky likes this.
  20. KnightBridgeAZ

KnightBridgeAZ Grand Canyon Knight

And they are still a good team, beat the #1 ranked team the other week.

Don't like Penn State. Its a Rutgers thing (I think), because I didn't like them long before any scandals broke.