21 Greatest winning streaks in sports history | The Boneyard

21 Greatest winning streaks in sports history

JS

Reaction Score
(Slideshow) - Only a couple of them from women's sports.

Check out #5.

Largely considered the greatest women's basketball coach of all time, Geno Auriemma led the Huskies to nearly three full seasons without a loss . . .​

Reaction Score
USATSI_9232948.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So remarkable. And so hard to rank how difficult each win streak was. But the level of dominance of all the teams listed was something special to see during the times they occurred...

Reaction Score
I'd put UConn's at #4, ahead of the Lakers. But the other three are as jaw-dropping as is UConn's and certainly deserve to be part of the top 4, IMHO. But Cleveland is making a real play to be included in that group. Just amazing....

Reaction Score
I'd put UConn's at #4, ahead of the Lakers. But the other three are as jaw-dropping as is UConn's and certainly deserve to be part of the top 4, IMHO. But Cleveland is making a real play to be included in that group. Just amazing....
If the number counts UConn should be #1. No one can beat 111.

Reaction Score
See #8: "De La Salle wins 151 consecutive high school football games"

That's about 15 consecutive high school football seasons, no?
What about U of Miami's Tennis team's 137 match unbeaten streak from 1957-1964....:)

OK, I get it. It's college tennis. Nobody cares...:(
My bad since I read from #1 and only up to #5 ....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
See #8: "De La Salle wins 151 consecutive high school football games"

That's about 15 consecutive high school football seasons, no?

Thats the All-time hs fb streak. LaSalle is a Private school. The All time football streak for public schools is 109 held by Charlotte Independence. Thats a little over 7 years here in NC.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I know it only covered mainstream sports, but Penn State volleyball should be on there. 109 matches spanning over 4 years in which they won 4 consecutive titles. They also had a single season where they won 110 straight volleyball sets (they won every match 3-0 besides an epic semifinal where they were nearly upset in 5 games).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I got tired of them winning all the time, but the PSU women's volleyball streak was very impressive. They were every bit as dominant in their sport as the Huskies were in women's bball.

Reaction Score
I see the focus here is on team winning streaks. If so, then how about Wayland Baptist Women's college basketball: 131 consecutive games, starting in 1954.

Individual winning streaks? Jahangir Khan:555 consecutive wins in professional squash. Jahangir Khan - Wikipedia

In any event, while these absolute numbers are certainly impressive and entertaining, they cannot tell us too much without knowing, among other things, the strength of the competition and parity among competitors. In this respect, all other things being equal, the Cleveland Indians' 21-game streak in 2017 is more impressive than, say, the Cubs or Giants streaks of decades past. The difference between the best and worst is demonstrably less today than 80+ years ago, while the overall quality of play has undoubtedly increased.

p.s. I disagree with the decision to place UCLA's 88-game streak at No. 1. No rhyme or reason why that would necessarily be more impressive than some of the other (longer) streaks, including UConn's 111 game streak.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What about U of Miami's Tennis team's 137 match unbeaten streak from 1957-1964....:)

OK, I get it. It's college tennis. Nobody cares...:(

isnt Trinity Squash Team in there too

Trinity Squash was at 252 over 13 years.

There is also Edwin Moses 122 consecutive wins in the 400M hurdles. Alexander Karolin who went undefeated in Greco-Roman Wrestling for 13 years (and at one point didn't give up a point for 6 years). But those are individual, not teams. But still pretty good streaks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When I was 12, I beat my friend Butch, matching baseball cards 23 times in a row. That was quite a streak. I should contact Guinness because I'm pretty sure that's a world record....:rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When I was 12, I beat my friend Butch, matching baseball cards 23 times in a row. That was quite a streak. I should contact Guinness because I'm pretty sure that's a world record....:rolleyes:
Did you also play Sundance? ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did you also play Sundance? ;)
I was way before arcade games like Sundance. We played Matchies, Leaners & Topsies for hours at a time for baseball cards. If you won you got to keep your opponent's cards, if you lost, bye bye cards.

I was always a Yankee fan, but my biggest triumph was winning Butch's lone Sandy Koufax card that he inadvertently tossed into a Topsies game. It was the only Sandy Koufax card I ever acquired.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was way before arcade games like Sundance. We played Matchies, Leaners & Topsies for hours at a time for baseball cards. If you won you got to keep your opponent's cards, if you lost, bye bye cards.

I was always a Yankee fan, but my biggest triumph was winning Butch's lone Sandy Koufax card that he inadvertently tossed into a Topsies game. It was the only Sandy Koufax card I ever acquired.
Sorry if my reference was unclear. Here are the Butch and Sundance I was referencing:

sundance_hed.jpg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sorry if my reference was unclear. Here are the Butch and Sundance I was referencing:

sundance_hed.jpg
That Sundance was definitely in my wheelhouse growing up. Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I know it only covered mainstream sports, but Penn State volleyball should be on there. 109 matches spanning over 4 years in which they won 4 consecutive titles. They also had a single season where they won 110 straight volleyball sets (they won every match 3-0 besides an epic semifinal where they were nearly upset in 5 games).
And they are still a good team, beat the #1 ranked team the other week.

Don't like Penn State. Its a Rutgers thing (I think), because I didn't like them long before any scandals broke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom