Kara Lawson (Connecticut Sun),
Angel McCoughtry (Atlanta Dream),
Renee Montgomery (Connecticut Sun),
Maya Moore (Minnesota Lynx),
Candace Parker(Los Angeles Sparks),
Cappie Pondexter (New York Liberty),
Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury),
Lindsay Whalen (Minnesota Lynx) and
Sophia Young (San Antonio Silver Stars).

Lots of quotes from Geno in the linked story. He's been kinda busy!

A little surprised that Vandersloot is not a finalist. The competition to make the team is gonna be fierce.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
1/3 Huskies

Jayne Appel (San Antonio Silver Stars),
Seimone Augustus (Minnesota Lynx),
Sue Bird (Seattle Storm),
Rebekkah Brunson (Minnesota Lynx),
Swin Cash (Chicago Sky),
Tamika Catchings (Indiana Fever),
Tina Charles (Connecticut Sun),
Candice Dupree (Phoenix Mercury),
Sylvia Fowles (Chicago Sky),
Brittney Griner (Baylor University),
Lindsey Harding (Atlanta Dream),
Asjha Jones (Connecticut Sun),
Kara Lawson (Connecticut Sun),
Angel McCoughtry (Atlanta Dream),
Renee Montgomery (Connecticut Sun),
Maya Moore (Minnesota Lynx),
Candace Parker(Los Angeles Sparks),
Cappie Pondexter (New York Liberty),
Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury),
Lindsay Whalen (Minnesota Lynx) and
Sophia Young (San Antonio Silver Stars).

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Will be a brutally competitive final cut, for sure.

RE: who is a "lock" and who must outperform at the trials in order to secure a spot..... let the [inevitable] debates begin :cool:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Without Katie, Tina, or Lisa, it feels like a changing of the guard.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Catchings is the only player born in the 70's.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I hate to belabor this point, but unless Cappie formally apologized for her incredibly insensitive and stupid comments after the tsunami stuck Japan last year, she does not belong on an Olympic team representing the United States of America.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I hate to belabor this point, but unless Cappie formally apologized for her incredibly insensitive and stupid comments after the tsunami stuck Japan last year, she does not belong on an Olympic team representing the United States of America.
Fair point. Only defense she has is that, IIRC, her comment was a tweet. Not sure how well known it is that she said it.

Why not ask Geno about it? Kind of a tough question and has nothing to do with UConn, but I would still like to hear his answer.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'd be curious to hear Geno's opinion on this as well, in addition to everyone else who has input into the selection process. Cappie would have had to try to make a comment less in the spirit of the Olympics. If I had input into the selection process, the only way I would have let Cappie on the team is if the formally apologized AND actually spent some time helping with the relief effort. But alas, I have no input. :)

Her comments were well-publicized enough to get play on ESPN.com and other news outlets, so I'm sure the selection committee is aware.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
several schools well represented in the final 21 with 2 or 3 kids as finalists, but no one has 33% of the total like UCONN does. simply amazing the sheer volume AND quality of UCONN players in the pros and eligible for the Olympics.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
to answer someone else's question, IMHO locks are Bird, Fowles, Parker, Charles, Taurasi. very likely in (or practically locks IMHO), Augustus, McCoughtry, Moore, and Catch. in my mind the final 3 will come from Brunson, Cash, Griner, Whalen, Pondexter, Montgomery. if i had to guess now i'd say the team would end up...

1 - Bird, Whalen
2 - Taurasi, Pondexter
3 - Catchings, Augustus, Mccoughtry
4 - Parker, Moore
5 - Charles, Fowles, Griner

the wild card is if Pondexter is eliminated due to whatever issues she may or may not have with the US National Team committee. If no Pondexter, i think they decide between Monty, Harding and Lawson (i do think both Renee and Lindsay are better than Kara), but there is so much flexibility with Taurasi able to play the "1" and Augustus able to play the "2" that they may decide Cash or Brunson should make the team.

by the way i looked at past Olympic rosters and in 2008 there were 11 players on the team. but the 2006 world championship team had 13. am i correct in that there will be 12 on the 2012 Olympic team?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I'm sure I will be alone with this opinion, but my feeling is there are only two locks, assuming everyone is healthy, and they are Sue and DT.

A couple of years ago I would have said Catchings is also a lock, but even if she is healthy, the committee might make a very tough decision and look more to the future and go with a younger group of wings, like Maya, Angel and/or Seimone and also load up on guards and posts. Not saying this is likely but it could happen. It will all depend on how things go in the trials.

And I really think the post situation will be especially competitive, with three of the world's best centers in Sylvia, Tina and now Griner. Plus Parker now in the mix added to Dupree who played so well last time around, Brunson maybe the best pure rebounder of all, and Jayne who is such a great competitor. Plus Asjha... so much post talent it's bewildering. And is Sophia Young, who played very well last year, a post or a wing?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Here's my "Trialology"as of 2/13 ..... :p

Locks - can afford to underperform and/or have a minor or moderate injury at the time of the Trials and still bank on an invite:

DT
CP3
Sue
Catchings
Big Syl
Seimone [I think she took a big step forward last season with the Lynx]
Tina
Angel [I think the Committee will remember what a nightmare matchup she was for most Int'l teams, even if she is 'off' or dinged up during the Trials]

2nd Group - must perform well at the Trials and not have anything more than a minor injury to ensure a spot:

Griner [sort of a 'tweener -- in one way she's a Lock, but if she really struggles it could be interesting. I just don't think she will struggle...]
The rest:
Maya [I think her position is too competitive for her to be a Lock, though I definitely expect her to make the team]
Swin
Ashja
Dupree
Whalen
Brunson

3rd Group - must be healthy and must consistently shine/outperform at the Trials to steal a spot:

Cappie [can still perform, but has other baggage]
Renee
Lawson
Appel
Sophia Young [a recent add, but still has to prove herself]
Harding

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ...
Locks:
Sylvia
Tina
Sue
Tamika
Candace
Diana

Almost locks:
Seimone
Angel

Likely:
Brittney
Maya
Cappie

And then ... who knows, but I would expect a pg.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Before pronouncing "locks", read what Geno said:

“When you’re trying to pick a team,” said Auriemma. “It’s important that you don’t just say, ‘ok, well, we’re just going to get the best player and that’s all there is to it.’ You’re trying to put together the Olympic team. So, you’re trying to find players that fit together very well, that are very compatible, they complement each other’s strengths, hide each other’s weaknesses. So, we’re going to have to decide: What kind of team do we want? What are the dynamics that we’re trying to achieve? In the end, are we prepared for anything the other countries are going to throw at us and do we have something for every occasion? As we’re picking the team, those things are going to be really crucial.”

Sue and DT are the best backcourt that women's basketball has ever seen, with a ton of experience playing together, and that's why I think they are locks. Not very sure about others that people are calling locks.

Reaction Score
With all the nice things that Geno has had to say about Griner, I get
the feeling that he would really like to have her on the team. Of course
he's not on the selection committee, but his input will be given great
weight I'm sure.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Obviously, injuries may shorten the list. I think, as Geno noted recently, some very, very good players will not make the team.

I largely agree with Eric's 12 picks. However, when I think about it, I cannot leave Swin off the team. Along with Maya, Catch, and Angel, she is the hardest worker (they all play pretty much the same position!).

I also largely agree with the longer list of locks. But I think, because it is not a "best players" list, one lock will be locked out. There will likely be a surprise or two.

Looking at it from a different perspective, who gets eliminated first? I think Appel is the easy answer. She was a great college player who has struggled with injuries. If she plays the 5, she is too far down the depth chart. Lawson is smart, a good teammate, and a good 3-point shooter. But she is also too far down the list. I think either Renee or Lindsay Harding may be next. Both are very good, but this is the best of the best.

As some have said, Maya is the future of USA Basketball. She makes it as a player, perhaps a 2, a 3, or a 4.

I have no idea what Cappie's status is. Based on talent, she makes it. Based on her tsunami statement and missing out last time, she does not.

CP3 makes it on talent. If she does not appear hungry or healthy, maybe not.

Diana and Sue are the most indispensable players. They are as certain as it comes.

Syl and Tina look like true locks. Tina is competing for "best player in the world" status.

Griner may be the future. Does the future start this summer? It may well.

Angel and Catch play too hard and are too good. Geno, having had experience with Bria last year and Kaleena this year, will not let Angel pout. He is a very good coach for her. If the committee senses pouting, Angel may slip.

Dupree, Asjha, and Sophia Young? Hmm. Close.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue's (partial) resume:

2 NCAA championships

2 WNBA championships

2 World Championship gold medals

2 Olympic gold medals, going for #3

Sweet!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This quote from Geno says it all....

“When you’re trying to pick a team,” said Auriemma. “It’s important that you don’t just say, ‘ok, well, we’re just going to get the best player and that’s all there is to it.’ You’re trying to put together the Olympic team. So, you’re trying to find players that fit together very well, that are very compatible, they complement each other’s strengths, hide each other’s weaknesses. So, we’re going to have to decide: What kind of team do we want? What are the dynamics that we’re trying to achieve? In the end, are we prepared for anything the other countries are going to throw at us and do we have something for every occasion? As we’re picking the team, those things are going to be really crucial.”

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
jaltavilla John Altavilla

Geno says he has the best point guard in the world "in Sue Bird."

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“The World Championship [the USA won gold in 2010] caused me the most pressure and left me the most tired I think I’ve ever been after a competition. But I am also more excited [than he has ever been]. When the energy level starts to rise and the adrenaline [begins to pump], I think all of us will be swept up in it.”

Geno is pumped.....

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
How come no Alana Beard? She beat out DT for 2004 WCBB Player of the Year.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller with more from Geno:

"It is going to be a very difficult decision," Auriemma said. "Getting down to 12 is going to be an arduous task to say the least. I am not looking forward to being in that room when that decision is made because it is going to be very difficult. Some people are going to be left out that is going to break your heart not to have them on the team."

LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger