2025 FIFA Club World Cup | The Boneyard

2025 FIFA Club World Cup

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

I think it may happen if the clubs are compensated and it is held only every four years.

The interesting point is who would qualify and how many from each confederation/country.

My guess is that no more than four clubs will be allowed from one country.

32 spots:
One host club (from the country in question-defending domestic champion)
Europe: 11 (previous four-less if repeat champs-Champions League winners with UEFA coefficient determining remaining spots)
Oceania: 1 (playoff between previous four years' OFC CL winners)
South America: 6 (previous four-less if repeat champs-Copa Libertadores winners with CONMEBOL determining remaining spots)
Concacaf: 3 (playoff between 4 CCL winners with top 3 qualifying)
Asia: 5 (previous four AFC CL winners with AFC coefficient determining remaining spot)
Africa: 5 (previous four CAF CL winners with CAF coefficient determining remaining spot)

IMO, there should be no qualifiers other than the continental Champions Leagues themselves.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
img_0801.jpg

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
FIFA money grab for sure, but I would watch it. I just wonder how they would make scheduling work? There are already club champions leagues yearly, World Cup every 4 years, Euros every 4 years, CONCACAF every 2 years, etc. Not to mention all the league cups that happen yearly. That is a lot o tournaments and may water down the product with so many competitions the players will be participating in respectively.

Reaction Score
FIFA money grab for sure, but I would watch it. I just wonder how they would make scheduling work? There are already club champions leagues yearly, World Cup every 4 years, Euros every 4 years, CONCACAF every 2 years, etc. Not to mention all the league cups that happen yearly. That is a lot o tournaments and may water down the product with so many competitions the players will be participating in respectively.
I don't follow closely enough to know about all the various champions and league cups, but would this be a higher level of play than the World Cup? We all know about the World Cup but are the best club teams generally better than the national "all star" teams?

Reaction Score
Champions league is the highest competition

When in the calendar will they play this event?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It would be the year before the World Cup in the cycle.

2023- Women's World Cup, Gold Cup, UEFA Nations League
2024- Euro, Copa America, Olympics
2025- Club World Cup, Gold Cup, UEFA Nations League
2026- World Cup

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
I don't follow closely enough to know about all the various champions and league cups, but would this be a higher level of play than the World Cup? We all know about the World Cup but are the best club teams generally better than the national "all star" teams?

From a club standpoint UEFA Champions League is the highest competition. From a national team standpoint, World Cup is obviously king, but the Euro Cup is an extremely high level of competition as well.

The UEFA Champions League takes the top teams from each European football league and has them play in a similar tournament as the WC, with group and knockout stages. Each federation has their own iteration of this style of tournament.

But then each league has their own cup championship that typically runs during their regular scheduled matches. For example Italy has the Coppa Italia, England has the Carabao Cup and FA Cup, Portugal has the Taça da Liga, Spain has the Coppa del Rey, and so on. These are domestic tournaments for a large amount of club teams to participate.

European football always has some sort of club cup or tournament being played it seems. While the Club World Cup already exists expanding it may be at a detriment of the overall product as certain cup competitions will ultimately just become watered down.

Reaction Score

It’s been around for a while. Have you watched it in the past?

I’m guessing you didn’t even know that, It’s a nothingburger that most people ignore.

ColchVEGAS

Reaction Score
It’s been around for a while. Have you watched it in the past?

I’m guessing you didn’t even know that, It’s a nothingburger that most people ignore.

I mean adding the additional clubs. I believe the current format is only 8 clubs.

But I guess that is the point I am trying to make. The current format does not draw much attention and while adding to the field should create more interest and a better tournament, there are already too many club cups regionally for me to believe the players/clubs will look at this without a care.

If the regional club cups were reduced or eliminated (which will never happen) a tournament like this would be extremely interesting to watch.

Reaction Score
I mean adding the additional clubs. I believe the current format is only 8 clubs.

But I guess that is the point I am trying to make. The current format does not draw much attention and while adding to the field should create more interest and a better tournament, there are already too many club cups regionally for me to believe the players/clubs will look at this without a care.

If the regional club cups were reduced or eliminated (which will never happen) a tournament like this would be extremely interesting to watch.

It’s always an afterthought.

When would this even happen? We already have League, Domestic Cups, Champions League and Europa League.

The calendar is already too crowded. Nobody will give a crap about this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom