2023 UConn Football Commit - John Neider (Milford CT) | The Boneyard

2023 UConn Football Commit - John Neider (Milford CT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Alternate access link <<

-> The UConn football program has secured the Connecticut Gatorade Player of the Year in back-to-back seasons.

Law's John Neider, this year's player of the year and the New Haven Register First Team All-State quarterback, announced on Friday that he will be joining his predecessor, running back Victor Rosa of Bristol Central, in the UConn locker room next fall.

Neider led Law to the SCC Tier III championship and to its first ever CIAC state tournament victory this season. He was involved in 55 of his team's 75 total touchdowns on the year. <-

-> "UConn actually reached out to us and one of their recruiters came down and met with him," Haley said. "It was a fast process once they came down and met him. They reviewed his film and within 48 hours they got back to us with good news. It was on their 'Connecticut Blitz' day that they first came down."

"He had a couple other schools that were on his radar but UConn just came in recently," Haley added. "I think he wanted to be able to go there and be a part of what coach Mora is doing. That put him over." <-

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I need to ask this delicately... because people on here are very sensitive...but...he was the CT player of the year and the only schools who expressed interest were Stonehill and Sacred Heart? This late in the process? His stats look great...good size. Seems like a good add to the team. Just trying to understand his recruitment.

Seems odd...am I missing something?

Reaction Score
I need to ask this delicately... because people on here are very sensitive...but...he was the CT player of the year and the only schools who expressed interest were Stonehill and Sacred Heart? This late in the process? His stats look great...good size. Seems like a good add to the team. Just trying to understand his recruitment.

Seems odd...am I missing something?
In short…plays multiple sports, switched positions to help the team, and plays at a school with minimal football success. Sometimes flying under the radar, is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Could be a Tyler Davis type player. Davis came in at 195 and a Qb. Ended up w/ a TE at 250. He is 6’2” and 200 lbs w/o full focus on football. Is he a PWO?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like a Max Duggan type qb. Potential as a te also. Great addition!

Reaction Score
His HUDL film reminds me a lot of Tyler Davis who is now an NFL tight end.

Welcome aboard John! Go Milford! (my current hometown)

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
In short…plays multiple sports, switched positions to help the team, and plays at a school with minimal football success. Sometimes flying under the radar, is a good thing.
That makes sense. I know that players sometimes slip through the cracks for reasons that you listed. I don't think they usually win state player of the year...but Connecticut is generally poorly recruited. So I can see how it could happen

I hope we continue the trend of keeping the best kids home.

Reaction Score
Is there a forty or 100 meter time on this kid? 6-2, 200 is a prototype wide out and his coach said he was on the road to being an all state WR before the switch to QB.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seems like he would be a great QB in the Army option system.

Looks country strong; has good balance, good vision, see the lanes and can reverse direction pretty well to initial runs. Of course the competition is low in that footage - not sure he ever encountered a real LB or S on those long scampers.

The options are many here.
-QB; looks like an option QB ideal for Army; does UConn put him here for now to get his feet wet?
-TE; could put him on a shelf for two years to bulk up, might work. Many have done this in the past. Is that wasting his natural speed some? IDK
-WR; probably the fastest way to the field. Has natural strength suggests he could high point the ball and win contested catches. Looks like he would be a deep threat guy or someone to feature on underneath routes a couple times a game given his YAC potential.
-RB; can a 6'2 guy find holes at the FBS level on a regular basis? IDK. HIs running style is a bit upright and I'm not sure he took too many real hits in HS blowing passed everyone repeatedly. Running the ball in college is nothing like HS.

UConn only has 5 scholarship RBs and one known WO RB at the moment. I could see him redshirting with the RB unit next fall and then going from there depending on his physical development.

There is also the question of what he wants to do. If I where him I would want to start with the WR unit.

No matter what his arm will get some use in college.

PS - I don't have a strong opinion here on any of this - pretty much everything is on the table here.

Reaction Score
Is there a forty or 100 meter time on this kid? 6-2, 200 is a prototype wide out and his coach said he was on the road to being an all state WR before the switch to QB.
According to this post-sophomore camp he was at 4.66.

We've been thinking offense because of his success on that side of the line, but I keep reverting to adding 30 lbs to become an awesome linebacker. It's always interesting to see where the athletes end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom