2023 UConn Football Commit - Amir Renwick (Baltimore, Maryland) | The Boneyard

2023 UConn Football Commit - Amir Renwick (Baltimore, Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Amir Renwick is a 6-2 210lb DB from Baltimore Maryland attending Coffeyville Community College in Coffeyville Kansas. Other offers from Buffalo, Colorado, Liberty, Kent State, Murray State, Nebraska, New Mexico State, North Texas, Rhode Island, Stony Brook, Texas State, Toledo, Towson, Troy, SMU and Washington State. Visited campus the weekend of January 20th.

Highlights

Reaction Score
So I find this interesting, in that this is our 3rd or 4th (depending on whether the transfer from Delaware was brought in to replace Swenson or as a Safety) DB transfer, added to a unit that had improved light years from the year before and returns 3 starters, the starting nickelback and a guy who started at corner to begin the season before getting hurt.

There is no other position where we brought in so many transfers to a position room that already looked settled. Either this is just how the numbers fell, Mora was happy enough with the returning starters but had no faith at all in the depth, or he was very dissatisfied with the play notwithstanding that we all saw tremendous strides forward.

Reaction Score
So I find this interesting, in that this is our 3rd or 4th (depending on whether the transfer from Delaware was brought in to replace Swenson or as a Safety) DB transfer, added to a unit that had improved light years from the year before and returns 3 starters, the starting nickelback and a guy who started at corner to begin the season before getting hurt.

There is no other position where we brought in so many transfers to a position room that already looked settled. Either this is just how the numbers fell, Mora was happy enough with the returning starters but had no faith at all in the depth, or he was very dissatisfied with the play notwithstanding that we all saw tremendous strides forward.
The Delaware transfer is a LB as is stated on his twitter bio and that he tagged the LB coach on his commitment post

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, I would say that Mora doesn't believe he has the talent in the secondary to run the type of defense he really wants to - high pressure with lots of 1 on 1 coverage with his corners. I agree that the unit made tremendous strides last season, but that was from the depths of disaster the last several seasons. Also, a lot of these DBs can be invaluable on STs.

Reaction Score

I think good DBs are gravitating to UConn because of Mora's extensive experience as a DB coach in the NFL. Also, UConn may have a plan to copy TCU of mostly playing a 3-3-5 defense where the safeties and linebackers are fairly interchangeable.

Reaction Score
At this point, DBs are not being added for depth. Mora has to believe he is an upgrade, or at least a serious contender to start.

Reaction Score

This guy is almost a mirror image of the Delaware transfer (height, weight, high tackle count, etc.). Might he also be a potential LB in the Swenson mold? Even if he isn't formally an LB, I think Mora likes versatile athletes in back that can come up into the box or deploy in coverage in a flexible manner that's hard to read pre-snap.

Reaction Score
I think good DBs are gravitating to UConn because of Mora's extensive experience as a DB coach in the NFL. Also, UConn may have a plan to copy TCU of mostly playing a 3-3-5 defense where the safeties and linebackers are fairly interchangeable.
The one that we tried to run the first year with Crocker…. We’re gonna need a good Defensive tackle to take up two bodies on the line for it to be effective. I am not oppose to running a 3 safety high defense, but our front 7 is gonna have to be immaculate, especially the linebackers

Reaction Score

Here's the math.

UConn lost 3 scholarship DBs: Wortham (graduated), McLean (portal), and Edwards (moved to RB) and 1 experienced WO Rosario.

UConn is bringing in 5 scholarship DBs: Bin-Wahad (transfer from WVU), Spears (transfer from Washington), Renwick (JUCO), Chadwick (HS recruit) and Hudson (HS recruit)

Noah Plack-Tallerico, the transfer from Delaware, is listed as a LB on the UConn roster.

Some other things to consider: Kaleb Anthony was injured in 2022 and Myles Bell had a very bad knee injury in 2021 and only played in 4 games in 2022. Last year, only 7 DBs played in more than 7 games and one has graduated. And, in the Marshall game, the 2 deep DB roster only included 6 players.

I think UConn was a little thin at DB last year and Mora is adding some additional depth and competition. Plus, you can use DBs on special teams.

Reaction Score
Wow we beat out some very impressive schools. The Mora effect. DB group going to be very competitive.

Yes, I think we are also seeing the effect of winning 6 games. Time will tell, but this recruiting class may end up being as good as we have ever had, certainly the best since the old Big East days.

Reaction Score
Welcome Amir! Take care of the island guy!

1675278790130.gif

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, I would say that Mora doesn't believe he has the talent in the secondary to run the type of defense he really wants to - high pressure with lots of 1 on 1 coverage with his corners. I agree that the unit made tremendous strides last season, but that was from the depths of disaster the last several seasons. Also, a lot of these DBs can be invaluable on STs.
These days the safety and linebacker positions are almost interchangeable. Need depth at those positions.

Reaction Score
He was crucified for having an atrocious defense.
Wasn’t his fault honestly. Previous regime wanted to show he could adapt but didn’t want to bring in guys from the transfer portal and then blame the kids for the system not working. When in reality we didn’t have the players to play that scheme at all

Reaction Score
These days the safety and linebacker positions are almost interchangeable. Need depth at those positions.
Not sure I agree. We brought in 2 linebackers who started and weighed around 230 235 . Both of them were outstanding and nice to have size there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom