2023 Starting QB Debate | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2023 Starting QB Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't have a lot of hope for Tyler P or Roberson. It seems football players coming back from ACL injuries are never the same. See Terry Cauley.
True, but at least with a QB there is less reliance on the knee as opposed to a RB.

Reaction Score
Spring ball and preseason practices will determine who the starting QB will be, that being said, if Roberson is back 100% then it’s him.
LOL, can you complete a sentence without contradicting yourself?

Doubtful Robertson will be available in the spring, and no ACL is 100% in less than a year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LOL, can you complete a sentence without contradicting yourself?

Doubtful Robertson will be available in the spring, and no ACL is 100% in less than a year.
Umm……that’s why I said “IF” he’s back. Exceptional athletes can come back in 8 or 9 months and 6 months is not unheard of. He’s clearly the most talented QB on the roster. Only a Met fan could come up with your dumb stupid post.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I really want to see what Sophomore ZT looks like with healthy receivers, a shiny new toy at TE, and consistency in the backfield. My prediction is he’ll surprise people.
Lot of heart, but nope. Doesn’t have good vision, slow processor, inaccurate short/med range, not quick or elusive runner, slow and low release. We will be luck to be .500 with ZT under center.

Reaction Score
Umm……that’s why I said “IF” he’s back. Exceptional athletes can come back in 8 or 9 months and 6 months is not unheard of. He’s clearly the most talented QB on the roster. Only a Met fan could come up with your dumb stupid post.:rolleyes:

No, sorry, you contradicted yourself, at the beginning of your sentence you state it will be determined by performance in practice, but you conclude your sentence by saying they will just turn it over to Robertson if he is healthy. I agree with the former BTW.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
No, sorry, you contradicted yourself, at the beginning of your sentence you state it will be determined by performance in practice, but you conclude your sentence by saying they will just turn it over to Robertson if he is healthy. I agree with the former BTW.
Are you still on the Tyler Phommachanh train?

Reaction Score
Are you still on the Tyler Phommachanh train?

He showed a better pocket presence and displayed better decision making than any of our QB's this year. Not to mention superior running ability. Who knows if he still has the running ability, but if he can regain most of it he can be a terrific QB. He should still have 4 years of eligibility.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My original post where you say I contradicted myself is as follows……

Spring ball and preseason practices will determine who the starting QB will be, that being said, if Roberson is back 100% then it’s him.

Never said they would just turn it over to him. Now, do you know what an inference is? Well anyway, I inferred that if Roberson is back 100% then he would win the competition for QB again, the key to anyone with an IQ above 75 understanding my meaning is the phrase “that being said”. He’s easily the best QB option we have and if he’s healthy, and with what we have now for QB’s, he will win the preseason QB competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
He showed a better pocket presence and displayed better decision making than any of our QB's this year. Not to mention superior running ability. Who knows if he still has the running ability, but if he can regain most of it he can be a terrific QB. He should still have 4 years of eligibility.
So...yes?

Reaction Score
So...yes?
IMO the odds on favorite to be our starting QB game one is the Maine transfer, he appears to have everything we are looking for in a QB and as far as we know he is healthy. I'm assuming he will participate in the spring practice, he already knows Charlton's system and he has far more game experience and success than all of our other QB's combined.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My original post where you say I contradicted myself is as follows……

Never said they would just turn it over to him. Now, do you know what an inference is? Well anyway, I inferred that if Roberson is back 100% then he would win the competition for QB again, the key to anyone with an IQ above 75 understanding my meaning is the phrase “that being said”. He’s easily the best QB option we have and if he’s healthy, and with what we have now for QB’s, he will win the preseason QB competition.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
IMO the odds on favorite to be our starting QB game one is the Maine transfer, he appears to have everything we are looking for in a QB and as far as we know he is healthy. I'm assuming he will participate in the spring practice, he already knows Charlton's system and he has far more game experience and success than all of our other QB's combined.
Ah ok...so you don't think Tyler Phommachanh should be the starter. Previously, you had been a very strong supporter of Tyler P as the starter.

I agree with you...I would think Fagnone would have the edge.

Reaction Score
Ah ok...so you don't think Tyler Phommachanh should be the starter. Previously, you had been a very strong supporter of Tyler P as the starter.

I agree with you...I would think Fagnone would have the edge.

Previously all I ever did was defend Tyler Phommachanh from the people who said he didn't have the arm strength to help us, I think that is bullspit. I think Tyler Phommachanh displayed a very high QB IQ as a true frosh (tremendous pocket presence), great running ability, and a good enough arm to succeed at UCONN.

IMO Tyler Lorenzen is a good comp for Tyler Phommachanh as he was far from a strong armed gunslinger but he could run and had a great QB IQ. I'll take QB IQ over cannon arm every day of the week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Previously all I ever did was defend Tyler Phommachanh from the people who said he didn't have the arm strength to help us, I think that is bullspit. I think Tyler Phommachanh displayed a very high QB IQ as a true frosh (tremendous pocket presence), great running ability, and a good enough arm to succeed at UCONN.

IMO Tyler Lorenzen is a good comp for Tyler Phommachanh as he was far from a strong armed gunslinger but he could run and had a great QB IQ. I'll take QB IQ over cannon arm every day of the week.
Tyler was pretty close to 6-5. He came to UConn because Iowa State had moved him to TE.

Reaction Score
Tyler was pretty close to 6-5. He came to UConn because Iowa State had moved him to TE.

Yup, and people on this board have been advocating Tyler Phommachanh change positions.

TL was in his 4th college football season when he joined UCONN something Tyler Phommachanh will be starting in 2024.

Reaction Score

I remember Tyler Lorenzen a little differently, especially in his first year here. He threw for 2300 plus yards IIRC, and had some close TD pass wins in Big East play. If you want to compare him to someone named Phommachanh try Tyler’s brother.

Reaction Score
I remember Tyler Lorenzen a little differently, especially in his first year here. He threw for 2300 plus yards IIRC, and had some close TD pass wins in Big East play. If you want to compare him to someone named Phommachanh try Tyler’s brother.
Thought it was interesting that his brother was visiting UMass this past weekend.

Reaction Score
May the best man win the competition. I don’t care who it is.
Agree, but hopefully it’s a quality competition and/or one guy stands out. Too often, it’s seemed more like it’s the last week of August, and the HC saying, “well, they’re all pretty bad, but I think, at this point, anyway, that maybe X is the least bad. [but I could be wrong, so who knows?]”

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm on record saying Roberson will start if he is healthy and has the best camp.

If he isn't healthy enough or if someone does better than him, then there may be another starter at QB.

That's my take and I'm sticking with it. And don't try to refute it.

Reaction Score
I'm on record saying Roberson will start if he is healthy and has the best camp.

If he isn't healthy enough or if someone does better than him, then there may be another starter at QB.

That's my take and I'm sticking with it. And don't try to refute it.
I'll refute it by saying if he isn't healthy enough or someone is better than him, then it'll be someone else. Other than that, what's to refute?! :)

Reaction Score
Taison P just committed to UMass. Would be cool to see Tyler vs him next year.

Reaction Score
Lot of heart, but nope. Doesn’t have good vision, slow processor, inaccurate short/med range, not quick or elusive runner, slow and low release. We will be luck to be .500 with ZT under center.
So you're saying there's a chance...........

Reaction Score
True, but at least with a QB there is less reliance on the knee as opposed to a RB.
If Aaron Rodgers can play QB with a torn ACL in High School, College and the Pro’s then I’d say Roberson has a chance. Remember Joe Namath playing football with a knee held together with Duct tape, not very mobile but he got the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom