2023 bracket screw job | The Boneyard

2023 bracket screw job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On top of this year’s bracket being a screw job, let’s not forget that last year’s bracket was also a total screw job for UConn.

First of all, UConn was ranked #4 in Pomeroy coming into the tournament, but still got a #4 seed.

Second of all, we drew Iona, which remained the highest ranked #13 seed in Pomeroy even after we routed them.

Third of all, we drew St. Mary’s in the second round. St. Mary’s ended up as the nation’s highest rated #5 seed in Pomeroy even after we beat St. Mary’s by 15 points, one #5 seed (Miami) made the Final Four and another #5 seed (San Diego State) made the national championship game.

Fourth of all, our region had the highest ranked #2 seed (UCLA) and the highest ranked #3 seed (Gonzaga) in Pomeroy.

Fifth of all, our bracket was set up so that we presumably would play Houston in their home city in the Final Four. Furthermore, the #2 seed in that region was Texas, which would have only slightly less of a home town advantage in the Final Four than Houston would.

Just because we ended up winning the championship doesn’t change how much of a screw job that bracket was.

Reaction Score
On top of this year’s bracket being a screw job, let’s not forget that last year’s bracket was also a total screw job for UConn.

First of all, UConn was ranked #4 in Pomeroy coming into the tournament, but still got a #4 seed.

Second of all, we drew Iona, which remained the highest ranked #13 seed in Pomeroy even after we routed them.

Third of all, we drew St. Mary’s in the second round. St. Mary’s ended up as the nation’s highest rated #5 seed in Pomeroy even after we beat St. Mary’s by 15 points, one #5 seed (Miami) made the Final Four and another #5 seed (San Diego State) made the national championship game.

Fourth of all, our region had the highest ranked #2 seed (UCLA) and the highest ranked #3 seed (Gonzaga) in Pomeroy.

Fifth of all, our bracket was set up so that we presumably would play Houston in their home city in the Final Four. Furthermore, the #2 seed in that region was Texas, which would have only slightly less of a home town advantage in the Final Four than Houston would.

Just because we ended up winning the championship doesn’t change how much of a screw job that bracket was.
Pomeroy is a predictive metric, not an accomplishment metric. In no way did we deserve the fourth #1 seed last year. Frankly, no sane human being would even make that argument. We lost too many games and didn’t have nearly enough wins against top teams. You’re impressed by how much we won many games by. Many others are less concerned about margin of victories.

Reaction Score
Pomeroy is a predictive metric, not an accomplishment metric. In no way did we deserve the fourth #1 seed last year. Frankly, no sane human being would even make that argument. We lost too many games and didn’t have nearly enough wins against top teams. You’re impressed by how much we won many games by. Many others are less concerned about margin of victories.
He's just complaining that the #4 team on KP was seeded 12-16, not that they should have been one of the top 4 seeds.

Reaction Score
He's just complaining that the #4 team on KP was seeded 12-16, not that they should have been one of the top 4 seeds.
We finished fourth in the Big East and didn’t reach the finals of our conference tournament. Being a 4 was not at all a ridiculous seed. There is no one right way to seed and people need to accept that there are ranged within which you can disagree but it’s not unfair.

Reaction Score
Total screw job for me.... I bleed UConn blue... class of 75... Yale grad degree in 76... have lived in San Diego since 1980... and the committee put all 3 of my teams in the same 8 team bracket! On the plus side, I will have at least one winner in the Yale / SDSU game. But I would rather have 3 games with a team to root for. And after the sweet sixteen, I can only have one team left. I liked it better last year when two of my teams didn't meet until the NC game... of course, I was rooting for our Huskies!

Reaction Score
Total screw job for me.... I bleed UConn blue... class of 75... Yale grad degree in 76... have lived in San Diego since 1980... and the committee put all 3 of my teams in the same 8 team bracket! On the plus side, I will have at least one winner in the Yale / SDSU game. But I would rather have 3 games with a team to root for. And after the sweet sixteen, I can only have one team left. I liked it better last year when two of my teams didn't meet until the NC game... of course, I was rooting for our Huskies!
Yale grad in San Diego eh? What company do you own? Want to hire a young and talented husky alum?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We finished fourth in the Big East and didn’t reach the finals of our conference tournament. Being a 4 was not at all a ridiculous seed. There is no one right way to seed and people need to accept that there are ranged within which you can disagree but it’s not unfair.

I checked, and UConn won the National Championship last season so maybe the OP is right.

Reaction Score
I checked, and UConn won the National Championship last season so maybe the OP is right.
What, that’s brilliant!!!! Let’s use the NCAA tourney results to seed the NCAA tournament! Why has no one ever thought of that?

One question. Do you own the time machine?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Geez, Now I'm wondering, "How many of the 68 teams chosen, plus the teams left out have a forum topic, "We Got Screwed!"?" My guess is 60 about 40 in the tournament and another 20 left out. What do you think?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
LOL, I've got one for you, my cousin (who I am very close with, we both swam in college, me at UConn) grew up/lives in San Diego, Yale undergrad, Northwestern medical school. She rooted hard for the Huskies in the natty last year because she's not a fan of SDSU (practices at UCSD hospital). And of course, she misses New Haven pizza!

PS I saw there have been UConn game watches at a bar in Rancho Penisquitos. My plan is to fly to SD, drive to Glendale in 2 weeks.

Reaction Score

Lol St. Mary's blows dude. Don't care that they were high in Kenpom they play as slow as molasses because their players aren't good and their metrics are boosted by a joke of a conference. I take issue with everything else you say but I don't want to hurt the mojo. Watch games instead of refreshing Kenpom. Sorry that the selection committee allowed Texas teams in when the final was being played in Texas. Go Huskies.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
PS I saw there have been UConn game watches at a bar in Rancho Penisquitos. My plan is to fly to SD, drive to Glendale in 2 weeks.
I'm void of any artistic abilities, but would love to see someone's rendering of what Penisquitos look like. Maybe the brand rancho singes into their cattle? Any takers?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whatever.
Amazon Football GIF by NFL On Prime Video

Reaction Score
Highest seed we had to play last year was a 3. The rest of the world thinks we had a cake walk to the chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom