2023-24 UConn Huskies Shot Quality Team Preview | The Boneyard

2023-24 UConn Huskies Shot Quality Team Preview

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Hey everyone - as the season is nearing I put together a video to look at the production we lost from last season and how we can fill the holes left by Hawkins, Sanogo and Jackson.

I'm partnering with Shot Quality for my opponent pregame breakdown videos.

For those who aren't familiar with Shot Quality, they are an analytics provider for many NCAA and all 30 NBA teams. They use a variety of data points - closest defender, defender height, shot distance, shooter stat profiles, etc. - to project point per possession shot outcomes (aka, shot quality).

Dan Hurley and the staff relied on them last season as an important resource on their march to the title. Shot Quality wrote a cool white paper about it, I'll try to dig it up...

Anyways, here it is for those interested:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
P.S. if you have any questions on future opponents or stats on the Huskies you want to see, please ask! I will try to incorporate them into the opponent preview shows.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I supported last season's heckling of the metric's forward posters during the NCAAT run. I'm quite positive all of the calling out of those who presented the "math" and the "science" behind what we all knew was magic led to the championship.

However, last season was last season. Can't use last year's mojo for this season's team. So, only 3 days left to use this one.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Haha I joked with the Shot Quality team that UConn fans have a love hate relationship with them…

The data is great for coaches to understand how to build an offense to maximize quality shots and good for casuals like me who is curious to see how an opponent looks on paper.

But keep in mind that data results vs actual results, especially in the context of a single game is mostly meaningless. But still interesting…

A perfect example is Hawkins game last night. The data said to keep shooting, which is why the Pelicans kept him out there and let him keep shooting, even though he finished the game 4-19 shooting.

Reaction Score
Some constructive criticism... you should probably explain what SQ PPP is, especially in the first episode, since it's not just straight PPP.

Some of this data seems... hmm. I would be shocked if Karaban really took 88 off the dribble 3's last year (or that it was our 5th most common playtype). I wonder what they count as off dribble. Another data source says he was assisted on 95% of his 3-point attempts last season and I don't recall him dribbling instead of catch and shooting very often.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Some constructive criticism... you should probably explain what SQ PPP is, especially in the first episode, since it's not just straight PPP.

Some of this data seems... hmm. I would be shocked if Karaban really took 88 off the dribble 3's last year (or that it was our 5th most common playtype). I wonder what they count as off dribble. Another data source says he was assisted on 95% of his 3-point attempts last season and I don't recall him dribbling instead of catch and shooting very often.
I appreciate that! And you're right, at the very minimum I should post a dictionary of what the shot types are for people to reference.

Off dribble 3 just means he put it on the floor once before shooting, not that it was a self-created shot. Pass, one dribble, shot would qualify (also an assist).

I'll work on getting something together.

Reaction Score
Off dribble 3 just means he put it on the floor once before shooting, not that it was a self-created shot. Pass, one dribble, shot would qualify (also an assist).
Yeah he only took 164 3's last season. I'd be very shocked if he dribbled before more than half of his attempts (graphic said 88 possessions, which would be 54% of his total attempts). Does not pass the smell test for me.

There's a highlight video with all Karaban makes and I just watched it on 2x speed with some +10 skipping and I saw him make 1 3 off any dribbles in the whole video. The other 50 or whatever I saw were just straight catch and shoot with no dribbles. Make are different than attempts, but he wouldn't be at 1.08 SQ PPP if he missed all his dribble attempts.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yeah he only took 164 3's last season. I'd be very shocked if he dribbled before more than half of his attempts (graphic said 88 possessions, which would be 54% of his total attempts). Does not pass the smell test for me.

There's a highlight video with all Karaban makes and I just watched it on 2x speed with some +10 skipping and I saw him make 1 3 off any dribbles in the whole video. The other 50 or whatever I saw were just straight catch and shoot with no dribbles. Make are different than attempts, but he wouldn't be at 1.08 SQ PPP if he missed all his dribble attempts.

If you want to put your face on camera to bring something interesting to the UConn fan base ,then do it. I respect you man, and DM me if you want to talk to the SQ guys about this with me. Happy to set that up.

Reaction Score
If you want to put your face on camera to bring something interesting to the UConn fan base ,then do it. I respect you man, and DM me if you want to talk to the SQ guys about this with me. Happy to set that up.
I appreciate the content. Liked the video, my intellectual curiosity sometimes comes across poorly despite my intent. I'll shoot you a DM so as not to clutter the thread with negativity about a dumb Shot Quality stat you have no control over!

Reaction Score
This is great. I think we are gonna be surprised out how good the shooting is this year. We have gotten used to poor shooting over the years. Thanks man, and let's watch a few games together this season.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I appreciate the content. Liked the video, my intellectual curiosity sometimes comes across poorly despite my intent. I'll shoot you a DM so as not to clutter the thread with negativity about a dumb Shot Quality stat you have no control over!
Sorry I bit your head off on that - I don’t control the data, I’m just the messenger. But you are right that a dictionary/ reference guide of some sort would be helpful for people to understand what I’m talking about. I am going to work on putting that together.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Hey everyone - as the season is nearing I put together a video to look at the production we lost from last season and how we can fill the holes left by Hawkins, Sanogo and Jackson.

I'm partnering with Shot Quality for my opponent pregame breakdown videos.

For those who aren't familiar with Shot Quality, they are an analytics provider for many NCAA and all 30 NBA teams. They use a variety of data points - closest defender, defender height, shot distance, shooter stat profiles, etc. - to project point per possession shot outcomes (aka, shot quality).

Dan Hurley and the staff relied on them last season as an important resource on their march to the title. Shot Quality wrote a cool white paper about it, I'll try to dig it up...

Anyways, here it is for those interested:

Good stuff. Maybe we cross pollinate sometime with The Sliders & Curveballs Pod. Dropped our Annual Preview show today.

Good job.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Sorry I bit your head off on that - I don’t control the data, I’m just the messenger. But you are right that a dictionary/ reference guide of some sort would be helpful for people to understand what I’m talking about. I am going to work on putting that together.
More Content! More Apologies! Better Boneyard!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

The mistake was mine, I apologize for that. It was a typo on the graphic. 88 attempts from Karaban were guarded catch & shoot shot attempts, not off the dribble.

Reaction Score
The mistake was mine, I apologize for that. It was a typo on the graphic. 88 attempts from Karaban were guarded catch & shoot shot attempts, not off the dribble.
Turn it into a "MediocreDan" challenge. Every episode there's 1 stat that's wrong. First viewer to spot gets a Bleeding Blue for Good shirt.

Reaction Score

98.5% of Karaban's 3-point made shots were assisted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom