2023-2024 MPG Game | The Boneyard

2023-2024 MPG Game

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here we go. First stab at this with everyone healthy. I'm going with Newton, Spencer, Castle, Karaban and Clingan starting. Diarra, Johnson, Ball and Ross consistent rotation players. Stewart holding down spot #10. Romogulou and Singare getting spot minutes.

Newton-32 mpg
Spencer-26 mpg
Castle-27 mpg
Karaban- 32 mpg
Clingan-27 mpg

That's 144 minutes from the starters leaving 56 for the bench.

Johnson-18 mpg
Diarra- 11 mpg
Ball-11 mpg
Ross-11 mpg
Stewart/Singare/Romogolou/Walk-ons- 5

From the starters, I just don't see Clingan getting 30 mpg as a mean average. Yep, he'll go above 30 several times, but I also think he still will have some growing pain games with BE refs who park him for a few games.

Karaban and Newton will lead the team in minutes. Spencer and Castle are going to be on the court plenty. I think Johnson and Diarra's minutes will be most consistent for the bench players. Ball and Ross will yo-yo based on who has the hot hand.

Reaction Score
I agree think in a perfect world you would see a 25/15 split between Clingan and Samson. That would keep both hopefully out of foul trouble and keep DC fresh for the end of the season when you could push the minutes closer to 30.

Reaction Score
The more I look at your breakdown the more I wonder who will spend time as the backup 4? Do we think that will be Ross?
I haven't seen the guys in person yet but do we think Ross is built to hold up at that spot? He is listed 25 pounds lighter than Karaban.

Reaction Score
Newton 29- Diarra 11
Spencer 26- Ball 14
Castle 25- Ross 10- Stew 5
Karaban 31- Johnson 6- Stew- 3
Clingan 26- Johnson 14

31- Karaban
29- Newton
26- Spencer / Clingan
25- Castle
20- Samson
14- Ball
11- Diarra
10- Ross
8- Stew

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The more I look at your breakdown the more I wonder who will spend time as the backup 4? Do we think that will be Ross?
I haven't seen the guys in person yet but do we think Ross is built to hold up at that spot? He is listed 25 pounds lighter than Karaban.

Backing up the four will be the biggest variable. If you use Johnson at the 4, you are either playing him alongside Clingan or hopefully Singare can play 5 mpg at center. Otherwise, it will be a combination of small ball with Ross or Stewart playing the 4.

Dirty little secret is finding someone who can back up Karaban's spot and minutes is the biggest unknown for this season.

Reaction Score
Backing up the four will be the biggest variable.
Gotta assume based on skill sets that Stewart is most likely. He’s really the only one in that 3/4 mold. It’s gonna come down to his development especially since he’s missed some time. If he can defend, he’ll get minutes.

I’m sure Samson will also see minutes there given how much talk there is about him, and how important he could theoretically be next year if Clingan is a lottery pick.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gotta assume based on skill sets that Stewart is most likely. He’s really the only one in that 3/4 mold. It’s gonna come down to his development especially since he’s missed some time. If he can defend, he’ll get minutes.

I’m sure Samson will also see minutes there given how much talk there is about him, and how important he could theoretically be next year if Clingan is a lottery pick.

UConn snaked minutes out of Jackson at the four last year. No one on this roster is near Jackson's physical ability or basketball skills to mask being a bit undersized for the four spot.

Reaction Score
UConn snaked minutes out of Jackson at the four last year. No one on this roster is near Jackson's physical ability or basketball skills to mask being a bit undersized for the four spot.

Only guy who might pull it off is Castle. He could defend the 4 and play the 1. It's not ideal, but he is probably 215lbs and could stay in front of Hopkins. I'm not so sure Ross or Stewart will have the strength to pull that off until they get a full off-season with the strength coach.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Backing up the four will be the biggest variable. If you use Johnson at the 4, you are either playing him alongside Clingan or hopefully Singare can play 5 mpg at center. Otherwise, it will be a combination of small ball with Ross or Stewart playing the 4.

Dirty little secret is finding someone who can back up Karaban's spot and minutes is the biggest unknown for this season.
Castle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Only guy who might pull it off is Castle. He could defend the 4 and play the 1. It's not ideal, but he is probably 215lbs and could stay in front of Hopkins. I'm not so sure Ross or Stewart will have the strength to pull that off until they get a full off-season with the strength coach.

Castle is definitely the person who comes to mind, but man, that seems like an easy way for teams to get him in foul trouble. Other than minutes Johnson plays at the four with either Clingan or Singare playing the five, figuring out those last 4-5 mpg I think will be a game by game decision.

Reaction Score
Here we go. First stab at this with everyone healthy. I'm going with Newton, Spencer, Castle, Karaban and Clingan starting. Diarra, Johnson, Ball and Ross consistent rotation players. Stewart holding down spot #10. Romogulou and Singare getting spot minutes.

Newton-32 mpg
Spencer-26 mpg
Castle-27 mpg
Karaban- 32 mpg
Clingan-27 mpg

Johnson-18 mpg
Diarra- 11 mpg
Ball-11 mpg
Ross-11 mpg

From the starters, I just don't see Clingan getting 30 mpg as a mean average. Yep, he'll go above 30 several times, but I also think he still will have some growing pain games with BE refs who park him for a few games.
I think 20-25 is the best we will be able to hope for out of DC. 27 is a LOT of minutes. Same for Castle. Have to hope that Newton and AK can log the kind of minutes you've listed as well.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Castle is definitely the person who comes to mind, but man, that seems like an easy way for teams to get him in foul trouble. Other than minutes Johnson plays at the four with either Clingan or Singare playing the five, figuring out those last 4-5 mpg I think will be a game by game decision.
Alex struggled at first and came around. Steph will too. I also think that Solo can step into the 3 and we’d be okay in a pinch.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Newton 29- Diarra 11
Spencer 26- Ball 14
Castle 25- Ross 10- Stew 5
Karaban 31- Johnson 6- Stew- 3
Clingan 26- Johnson 14

31- Karaban
29- Newton
26- Spencer / Clingan
25- Castle
20- Samson
14- Ball
11- Diarra
10- Ross
8- Stew
I like this but expect Ball to get more than 14. Some may come at PG.

Reaction Score
I like this but expect Ball to get more than 14. Some may come at PG.

What end of the floor? Cam, Newton and Castle are our primary ballhandlers. That much was clear yesterday. Solo will defend plenty of PGs while playing with a bigger guard though.

Reaction Score
Alex struggled at first and came around. Steph will too. I also think that Solo can step into the 3 and we’d be okay in a pinch.

Solo will tons of mimutes as a 3 on offense. Anytime he's with two of Castle/Newton/Spencer.

2-3-4 are ultimstely practically interchangeable for us though. He pairs really nicely with Tristen and Castle on defense though. Solo is strong and fast enough to guard 1-3 and can allow Castle not to have to guard guards 6 inches shorter and 40lbs lighter than him.

Reaction Score
Castle.
I know Castle is 6'6 215 but does he have any experience guarding a guy that is going to attempt to post him up on the block because if that is the matchup other teams are going to absolutely go at him. I don't ask to be a jerk I just would expect alot if his HS game he is defending another guard.

Looking way ahead I want to see a potential Kadary Richmond/Castle matchup. I think that will be a great test for Castle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What end of the floor? Cam, Newton and Castle are our primary ballhandlers. That much was clear yesterday. Solo will defend plenty of PGs while playing with a bigger guard though.
Sure, but I can see him bringing the ball up as well. Injuries happen, fouls happen, his NBA role is as a physical, scoring PG, so Dan will find some way to let him showcase that in spurts. Mostly I just think that by January/February, he'll be more than a 14 minute a game guy.

Reaction Score
Sure, but I can see him bringing the ball up as well. Injuries happen, fouls happen, his NBA role is as a physical, scoring PG, so Dan will find some way to let him showcase that in spurts. Mostly I just think that by January/February, he'll be more than a 14 minute a game guy.

We need to find him 20 a game if he defends like we expect. His energy will be Andre-esque.

Reaction Score

Newton-32 mpg
Spencer-26 mpg
Castle-27 mpg
Karaban- 32 mpg
Clingan-27 mpg

Johnson-18 mpg
Diarra- 11 mpg
Ball-11 mpg
Ross-11 mpg

Karaban and Newton will lead the team in minutes. Spencer and Castle are going to be on the court plenty. I think Johnson and Diarra's minutes will be most consistent for the bench players. Ball and Ross will yo-yo based on who has the hot hand.
OK. I’ll play. Based on your projections, here are my bets:

Newton - Under
Spencer - Over
Castle - Under
Karaban - Over
Clingan - Under
Johnson - Under
Diarra - Over
Ball - Over
Ross - Over

Online statistics

Members online