2022 UConn men's soccer season | The Boneyard

2022 UConn men's soccer season

Reaction Score
I’ll state the obvious: because of history and new commitment made to facilities, men’s and women’s soccer is on the clock. 8th and 6th in the BE won’t cut it in this athletic department. Rooting hard for both programs this year to move to the upper half of the league.

Reaction Score
UConn men's soccer had a home exhibition game scheduled for yesterday. Absolutely nothing has been written about the game on the UConn athletics website or on the UConn men's soccer twitter feed.

Reaction Score
There was an announcement of the 2022 class posted at UConnhuskies.com with a list of names but with no bios. Not very helpful or engaging.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's just not UConn to be so silent on soccer considering the past successes of both programs in the past
They need to bring back The Friends of Soccer
However, after talking to AD David Benedict about the soccer programs last year, I clearly see that both programs are not anywhere near his heart or his mind. I spoke with Ray Reid after a Hartford Athletic match and his remarks were revealing but not surprising.
Sorry Chris and Jen but you have a huge wall in front of you
My best wishes to both programs despite DB
I'll be out there watching and cheering
Just love UConn soccer

Reaction Score
It's just not UConn to be so silent on soccer considering the past successes of both programs in the past
They need to bring back The Friends of Soccer
However, after talking to AD David Benedict about the soccer programs last year, I clearly see that both programs are not anywhere near his heart or his mind.

Speaking of silent, I wonder how many soccer games WHUS will broadcast this fall.

Reaction Score
3 exhibitions, 2 regular season games this week. New coach, new facilities, zero coverage, zero hype. The men’s program has as much history and interest (as it exists in their sport) as any program in the department. What gives? I’m sure the 3,000 or so fans that will be at Morrone next Sunday would be interested in what the team looks like.
This kind of stuff is discouraging - that despite all the $ invested and loss leader benefit sports brings to the University, we never get it right. Subpar.

Reaction Score
3 exhibitions, 2 regular season games this week. New coach, new facilities, zero coverage, zero hype. The men’s program has as much history and interest (as it exists in their sport) as any program in the department. What gives? I’m sure the 3,000 or so fans that will be at Morrone next Sunday would be interested in what the team looks like.
This kind of stuff is discouraging - that despite all the $ invested and loss leader benefit sports brings to the University, we never get it right. Subpar.
Dom Amore's fluff piece in the Courant today says it all. He thinks Ray Reid had a 'long spectacular run' at SCSU and Uconn and that's what Chris Gbandi hopes to achieve. God help us.

Reaction Score
and it is not like men’s and women’s soccer Twitter pages are blowing up with much content - can’t make the old vs. new media argument. Strange given that the new facilities on that side of campus (except hockey) wouldn’t have happened without a soccer alum. Hope they climb regardless, women had a good day today.

Reaction Score
In UConn's home opener, Charlotte with a 3-1 victory over the Huskies. Last season Charlotte got an at large bid to the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In UConn's home opener, Charlotte with a 3-1 victory over the Huskies. Last season Charlotte got an at large bid to the NCAA tournament.
I was at the game. A couple of bad defensive break downs on our part. The keeper hesitated on the second goal, offensive is a work in progress.

Reaction Score
I was at the game. A couple of bad defensive break downs on our part. The keeper hesitated on the second goal, offensive is a work in progress.

I have the suspicion that it is going to be a long season for the men's soccer team. As mentioned during the game broadcast, Chris Gbandi is going to need some time to rebuild the team from the ashes that were left for him.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Couldn't make the match but some of my soccer buddies did
It's a work in progress - I am sure HCCG is installing his own style of play
Be above .500 in the NBE is important -

Reaction Score
Well I thought it would be an even match. Winner would probably come from a break of some kind. A few BE teams lost yesterday so they won't be getting off to a strong start either.
The BE is different because recruiting is different. The idea UConn was just going to walk through their schedule was off base.
The radiated heat coming from the turf must have been wicked hot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So is Holy Cross terrible? I really don't know what to expect. Like others, I find the lack of interest in the program very sad. It was a must attend event back in the mid 80s. So many good times there.

Reaction Score
So is Holy Cross terrible? I really don't know what to expect. Like others, I find the lack of interest in the program very sad. It was a must attend event back in the mid 80s. So many good times there.
Nice crowd last night:

The game was a sellout, standing room only. From listening to the video stream, it was said that there was a large student turnout on the night before classes started.

I'm inclined to think Holy Cross is not all that good. UConn seemed to dominate possession of the ball, but I would have liked to have seen more in the way of better chances to score. Maybe that will come in time. However, I'm also interested to see how UConn fares against better quality non conference opponents, plus see how much offense they generate in Big East play. Still, also to remember that this is the first season for the new coach, and he is mostly working with players who came into the soccer program under Ray Reid.

WHUS did not carry either soccer game yesterday. Now that the students are back on campus, it will be interesting to see if they start providing coverage of UConn sporting events, especially the soccer games. By the way, WHUS still does not list a Sports Director for the station on its website, hoping that will change soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom