2022 UConn Football Commit - Nikko Pohahau (Redwood City, California) | The Boneyard

2022 UConn Football Commit - Nikko Pohahau (Redwood City, California)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Nikko Pohahau is a 6-5 290lb OL from City College of San Francisco (JUCO). Earlier offers from Buffalo, Hawaii, Houston Baptist, Maine, MTSU, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Northern Colorado, Northwestern State, San Diego State, Stony Brook, Towson and UMass.

Pohahau initially played for University of Colorado out of high school, then transferred to CCSF.

Nikko took an official visit to Storrs this past weekend.

Highlights

*Edit: added a couple of schools I missed in my haste/fixed weight

Reaction Score

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is sort of a nice little coup. Pohahau has solid frame, well built for the OT position. He has some nice offers last fall to stay on the west coast including Hawaii, San Diego and Nevada. I'm rather optimistic with him in the fold that between himself, Senn, Lundt and Brown we have OTs that will compete this year. And FWIW, I heard that Senn did well in practice last fall, there was just no way RVD was coming off the field to give Senn any opportunity.

Reaction Score
Love to see UConn land OL with other FBS offers. Competition is going to be fierce for a starting OL spot. I thought both guards last year were decent. Guidone looks like a stud. Barboza could be a RT or OG, now this kid. Plenty of younger guys got experience too, like Neidrowski, Rayonte Brown, Chase Lundt, Fortin. If they could improve this area, it could increase our competitiveness.

Reaction Score
Nice to see another addition to the OL. They should all expect to start and practice that way? I'll be interested to see the new depth chart with eligibility pre Spring ball.

Reaction Score

The City College website roster has Nikko at 290. To my way of thinking, that is a whole lot better to have him at 290 with good weight than 275 having to work to up his check in. That is one less thing.

I am certain that I am extrapolating ... but it helps US (UCONN Football) to have Mora + LB + Hilliard that know the culture and competition on Cali JuCo + then Pehrson, Davidson etc from Texas Tech knowing the backwater TX HS landscape & TX + Kansas JuCo. We just have more reach for recruits; which we needed this coming year and the future.

Reaction Score
Colorado 2019 bio: Nikko Pohahau, born Redwood City, CA, High School: St Francis Name pronounced: Knee-ko Po-huh-how (IF the Colorado bio's pronunciation is correct). Surname suggests family background from Tonga, or perhaps other Polynesian location. Size 18 feet.

Nikko's Colorado 2019 signing day description (from current Michigan St HC Mel Tucker, ex-Buffaloe's HC):

"Nikko is exactly what we are looking for. He has great initial quickness. He has a flat back. He has good hat speed. He comes off the ball and he is nasty. He is a finisher. We want guys that like to get on guys, move guys, finish them to the ground. He is going to finish with one violent shave at the end every single play. He is good at the point of attack. He is good on the second level. His initial quickness is outstanding. In pass pro, he great awareness and really good feet. This guy can range from 280 to 310 pounds. He has that type of weight flexibility. He has length. He loves to finish. That is what sticks out most about him."

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Cannot hurt adding future quality to the OL
Bring them on and welcome to the East Coast and Storrs - it will seem like paradise vs San Fran

Reaction Score
A little concerned there were no pass blocking highlights, but oh man is he a terror in the run game. Explosive out of stance, great knee bend, and plays to the whistle. I think he ends up earning a job at either right tackle or guard.

Reaction Score
With this guy in the fold, I am starting to feel pretty good about our line being up to division 1 standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom