2022 UConn Football Commit - Joden Nelson ( York PA) Decommitted 10/14/21 | The Boneyard

2022 UConn Football Commit - Joden Nelson ( York PA) Decommitted 10/14/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Funny that the 2 positions that I think offers don’t matter too much are oline and wide receiver. Linemen can be developed. And historically Edsall has been very good at it. Receivers are pretty hard to evaluate in high school because offenses (and defenses) aren’t that sophisticated and quarterbacks for the most part are not that good either. Remember there are almost 15,000 high school teams so most quarterbacks are nowhere near college caliber. For comparison there are only about 850 college teams in all divisions combined.

Reaction Score
50 years ago I played my high school football in PA before moving back to CT . It is the real deal and they take it very seriously. I hope this kid develops, he has the size and comes from a very good program. Will see. Man, I am getting really old.

Reaction Score
That clip makes him look fairly light on his feet. We’ve had some big boys in recent years that looked awkward and slow in high school. He certainly doesn’t.

Reaction Score

-> A 6-foot-4, 280-pound offensive tackle for York High, Nelson is being recruited by UConn as a center since he is slightly undersized to play tackle at the higher FBS level. <-

-> Nelson went through an offensive line workout in front of most of the Huskies coaching staff, including Edsall. Then he had a film session and was quizzed on techniques and blocking assignments by offensive line coach Frank Giufre.

"College workouts are no joke," Nelson said. "I had done some of those drills in high school, but it's different when there are 10 college coaches with their eyes solely on you. You have to give 100% and you can't mess up. That can be the difference in getting an offer right there."

Nelson's visit ended with an hour-long conversation with Edsall. The pair talked about growing up in York County and the transition of moving to a different environment in Connecticut.

Edsall finished the conversation by offering Nelson a full scholarship. "It was mind-blowing," Nelson said. "Not that I didn't earn my other offers, but this one was different because I had to go up there and shine to earn the offer. That made it more special. It felt like the stars were aligning."

Nelson felt ready to commit immediately, but he decided to wait a few weeks. While he could have spent the summer trying to field more FBS offers, he said he was confident that UConn was the right fit for him. <-

Reaction Score
Welcome big fella!!
I will double down on my theory that the pandemic helped our recruiting a bunch because this staff has always had to mine gems under the radar. This year with limited exposure to high school players, other schools had to do the same and probably aren’t as good at it. Five stars will always be fine. The twos and threes will have fewer offers and will value ours a bit more

Reaction Score
Welcome big fella!!
I will double down on my theory that the pandemic helped our recruiting a bunch because this staff has always had to mine gems under the radar. This year with limited exposure to high school players, other schools had to do the same and probably aren’t as good at it. Five stars will always be fine. The twos and threes will have fewer offers and will value ours a bit more
One thing is for sure, not playing last year has not hurt recruiting at all.

Reaction Score
Welcome!!

1625074452216.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members