2021 UConn Football Commit - Yakiri Walker (DeSoto Texas) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 UConn Football Commit - Yakiri Walker (DeSoto Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't remember Edsall having 2 OLs this early in the recruiting cycle. OLs are ususally camp guys or late bloomers that have quality senior tapes. UConn is getting pretty close to a potential all TX offensive line in a few years. Oforu-Nyadu, Rochester, Lundt, Walker and Sakiri are all TX kids.

Reaction Score
These are great pickups. If you want football players... kids that live and breath football and have learned fundamentals... this where you get them. My chief compliant has been picking up too many kids for speed with poor football skills and instincts. I’ll take the kids a step slower who can actually take an angle and still get there first.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't remember Edsall having 2 OLs this early in the recruiting cycle. OLs are ususally camp guys or late bloomers that have quality senior tapes. UConn is getting pretty close to a potential all TX offensive line in a few years. Oforu-Nyadu, Rochester, Lundt, Walker and Sakiri are all TX kids.
That pipeline used to come from Pennsylvania.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Please for the love of all things good in life, no one try to give them a gimmicky nickname like "Texas Rangers".

Reaction Score
This kid looks like a really nice get fwiw. Big, fast, good footwork. We seem to be recruiting Texas more than Florida these days.
Although Texas has 12 FBS schools and Florida has 7, it seems like the entire country descends on Florida for recruits, although Texas certainly attracts alot of recruiting competition. UCF and USF have become major players in a relatively short time, FIU and FAU are also raising their profile. Not sure what the numbers are in terms of the amount of kids playing football in Florida vs. Texas. Funny thing is we just left the AAC, which had a strong Texas presence.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Although Texas has 12 FBS schools and Florida has 7, it seems like the entire country descends on Florida for recruits, although Texas certainly attracts alot of recruiting competition. UCF and USF have become major players in a relatively short time, FIU and FAU are also raising their profile. Not sure what the numbers are in terms of the amount of kids playing football in Florida vs. Texas. Funny thing is we just left the AAC, which had a strong Texas presence.

Florida is much smaller geographically and talent more concentrated. You can take the I-4 corridor from Tampa to Daytona and recruit south of there. Probably 200+ within 5-6 hours. I'm in the far western Panhandle of Florida and there are 1-2 D1 players per team with about 5-6 high level D1 players in the county. South Florida? You may have 5-6 high D1 players per team.

Texas is a bit more spread out trying to find the talent, especially if you are out of state and don't have the contacts of all the HS coaches.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
it's ok to poke fun at yourself. It's not just Kansas..it's a bunch of FBS schools. I know...not P5. He is a 3 star coming to UConn from Texas. Give props when due.
That would be a first for him and the other haters.

Welcome to Storrs, Yakiri and show us all about Texas football

Reaction Score
Recruiting picking up steam. And my bias for OL after taking a couple of hits. Yakiri seems like a nice player.

Reaction Score
I looked at numbers a couple of years ago and Florida turned out the most players. If every Florida school only recruited in the state there would still be something like 100 d1 caliber kids available. Texas and California also turn out lots of players butCalifornia gets recruited by the rest of the PAC, plus the WAC. Not a ton of football players in Utah Wyoming or even Oregon. I assume we will bring in some Florida and Pennsylvania kids before all is said and done though. But Texas is a relatively new area for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom