2021 commit Amari DeBerry explains why she chose UConn, players she looks up to, and how she’s trying to elevate her game | The Boneyard

2021 commit Amari DeBerry explains why she chose UConn, players she looks up to, and how she’s trying to elevate her game

Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Money quote

“I think for UConn, it was definitely seeing how the coaches and the players interact and how the players interact with each other,” DeBerry said. “They have alumni coming back. When you have so many people coming back to a college, that means something. ... How close the players have told me that they are with the coaches, and that they can talk to them about a lot of stuff, [was] important.

But proximity to her family was also very important.

Shows how complex recruiting is. Many factors need to be weighed,

More details inside.

Reaction Score
I don't know a better recruiting tool then just reprinting that interview and sending it to every top recruit UConn is interested in (if NCAA approves that is)......... ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know a better recruiting tool then just reprinting that interview and sending it to every top recruit UConn is interested in (if NCAA approves that is)......... ;)
The NCAA would not. Although Amari has verbally committed to UCONN, The UCONN staff is forbidden from even mentioning her until she signs her NLI about 11 Months from now.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Interesting lines:

"DeBerry says her recruitment took off around the seventh grade. By that time she was already over 6 feet and playing with and against 17- and 18-year-olds. UConn’s coaching staff first saw her play, DeBerry’s mom told her recently, the summer before eighth grade. "

Like mom kept UConn interest hidden?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Interesting lines:
"DeBerry says her recruitment took off around the seventh grade. By that time she was already over 6 feet and playing with and against 17- and 18-year-olds. UConn’s coaching staff first saw her play, DeBerry’s mom told her recently, the summer before eighth grade. "
Like mom kept UConn interest hidden?
Keep in mind that Amari was playing HS varsity ball in 8h grade and that UCONN was not the first to contact her. Louisville was her first letter- shocking I know.
Amari breaks it down here.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Amari was playing HS varsity ball in 8h grade and that UCONN was not the first to contact her. Louisville was her first letter- shocking I know.
Amari breaks it down here.

So, the UConn letter made her cry. Funny how our tiny little white letter envelope was more attractive than the gaudy ND, MD, Louisville packets. :D

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Compared to other high-school athletes I’ve seen interviewed or who have posted similar pieces on social media, Amari seems especially well-spoken and thoughtful.

In the future, I can see her as a steadying force for other players, both on the court and in the locker room.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Compared to other high-school athletes I’ve seen interviewed or who have posted similar pieces on social media, Amari seems especially well-spoken and thoughtful.

In the future, I can see her as a steadying force for other players, both on the court and in the locker room.

but I hope she develops a good mean streak. Paige's influence in that area should be invaluable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom