2021-22 and 20222-23: A Comparison | The Boneyard

2021-22 and 20222-23: A Comparison

Reaction Score
First time in a long time. With the season loss of two players in the expected rotation for this season and seeing the injuries during it thus far, it occurred to me that there is a great deal of similarity between the last two basketball years.

2021-22 rotation - (10) Bueckers, Ducharme, Edwards, Fudd, Griffin, Juhasz, Muhl, ODO, Westbrook, Williams (Griffin out all season, thus 9). Rarely, if ever, were all nine healthy and able to play. The Huskies got to the national championship game with several walking wounded and Juhasz out with hand injury.

2022-23 rotation - (10) Bueckers, Brady, Ducharme, Edwards, Fudd, Griffin, Juhasz, Lopez-Senechal, Muhl, Patterson (Bueckers and Brady out all season, thus 8 players).

Two areas (and there are more) of comparison between the two classes are front court strength and backcourt 3-point shooters. The power position players last season were Edwards, Juhasz, and Olivia Nelson-Ododa and this year Edwards, Juhasz, and Patterson. On the surface, it would appear that the shot blocking ability of ODO gives last year the edge. It is possible, however, that Patterson’s rebounding ability and the improved play of Edwards might well tip the scales in the other direction. When Dorka’s was injured, Griffin has filled in and played extremely well.

Three point shooters last year were Bueckers, Ducharme, Fudd, Westbrook, and Williams and this year Azzi, Ducharme, and Lopez-Senechal. Am not including those who occasionally launch threes like Griffin, Juhasz, and Muhl. Last year led in quantity, but his year may lead in quality. Azzi started out playing extremely well, Lou has already shown that she can shoot, and we can hope that Ducharme regains her shooting touch, so it is a distinct possibility that the 3-point percentage will be better this year than last. If UConn has any hopes for a national championship, it will depend on maintaining a healthy eight and solid outside shooting.

Unfortunately, however, the injury bug has come again was Juhasz out for several games and Ducharme still facing neck issues, although her play recent play provides grounds for optimism. Azzi Fudd was injured in the game against Notre Dame, the same team when Paige’s injury occurred, and will probably be back in January, although it may well take some time before she gets to early season playing shape.

One advantage this team possesses is that it is quicker than last year’s squad due in considerable part to all the injuries the 2021-22 squad suffered. Azzi, when healthy, is a lot quicker than last season and the return of Griffin could well be a difference maker - her quickness, defense ability, and improved shooting. Lou Lopez-Senechal brings a shooter’s mentality to the team and if the first few games are representative, she represents an upgrade from the inconsistent Christyn Williams on the offensive end.

If the basic eight can regain its health and remain healthy, the team will match up decently with all opponents except for South Carolina and Stanford and another trip to the Final Four is a distinct possibility. If, however, more disabling injuries occur, the team will likely fall short.

Reaction Score
Both SC and Stanford have point guard issues. That could be their Achilles Heel.

Reaction Score
I think this year's team is almost as good as last year's as regards both front court and guard play- I'm calling it a wash for the sake of this thread.

While it would be nice this year to have Ono, Juhacz is an equally good replacement. In my opinion, Juhacz is better offensively but I'd give edge to Ono on defense. Aaliyah is definitely better this year. Not sure yet what Ayanna will provide but she is strong and a good rebounder, she doesn't play many minutes but hopefully will keep learning the systems and how to play within her abilities. If I were coaching her, I'd get her to stop trying to block shots (she fouls because she leans too much into the shooter) and instead keep hands up and block out to get rebound.

Seeing an improved Azzi (when she returns to full health soon), having Senechal to fill in for Paige, hopefully seeing an improved Ducharme, and an improved Nika who is shooting more, will substitute pretty well for last year's guard group. No Paige hurts but that's what the dice rolled- what a pickup to get Lou! Not having Christyn or Evina is a fact, but I always felt they were inconsistent. This year's guard group provides great shooting, and we won't lose games because our guards are not playing well.

The big difference between last year's team and this year's team(besides Paige's injury) is the availability of Aubrey. Both on defense and also on offense, I feel that she is the key to how far this year's team will go. Her ability to score on fast breaks, get rebounds and score inside on drives, make the occasional three, and be a defensive clamp on other teams' forwards, will be the difference. There are a lot of good teams in women's basketball, and UConn will soon have all the pieces available this year to keep humming along.

Reaction Score
I think 22-23 is not quite as stocked with ball handlers as 21-22. Christyn Evina Nika as a group were stronger than Nika Lou Azzi.

No slight to Azzi, she's as good a ball handler as there is, i.e. as good as Christyn. How many times did we see Christyn last year dribble through a crowd and no one ever threatened her ball control? Azzi's got some of that spirit.

And Nika is still Nika, or perhaps even more so.

But Evina was something special, not so much because of her handles but because of her smarts. Lou is not really comparable to E, though she is capable, and is a better shooter. But I wouldn't want her to be the pg. Maybe Inês develops into a first class ball handler, but she's not there yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom