• No

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Too early to tell

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Bird also said she does not believe the 2020 WNBA season can begin without access to rapid COVID-19 testing that does not limit availability of testing for other sectors of the population.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I will be shocked if it happens. Several issues I see:

1. How can the league prevent any/all of it's players, staff, employees, broadcasters, etc. from getting Covid? Even with testing, you have several hundred employees that need to be present for games and all of them are likely grocery shopping, running errands, visit close friends/family, etc. It's going to be impossible to prevent employees from getting covid, even with testing.

2. Travel will have to be limited so I'd imagine the entire league would become based out of 1-2 cities and arenas. Where will players stay? Will they get everyone rentals for 3 months?

3. Even if they do ample testing, literally before every game, what happens when 1 or more WNBA employee tests positive? Does the league shut down? Are games canceled? Or are they postponed? How will make up games happen? Etc.

4. How do players get paid if there is no attendance? I know they'll likely draw well for TV games since nothing else is on but I'm not sure where the money comes from to pay these hefty new salaries.

5. Most important, do enough players even want to play in the current conditions? There's a good chance that many people associated with the league fall into higher risk categories (ex. Mike Thibault turns 70 this year) and many will have zero interest in coaching or working this summer while covid is still rampant.

Reaction Score
I am surprised at the poll so far, but mostly because I presume that for the WNBA or NBA initial games would clearly be in empty arenas for TV only. So if the leagues are not able or willing to do that then granted a season this year is unlikely. Seems like regular testing of players and limited staff would be easy to do, and it would probably be better if one city is involved so that travel can be minimized. Vegas would be good with plenty of unused hotel rooms.

Reaction Score
Seems like regular testing of players and limited staff would be easy to do, and it would probably be better if one city is involved so that travel can be minimized. Vegas would be good with plenty of unused hotel rooms.

I think the concern with testing is a legitimate one. I would suspect that the leagues whether basketball or football or even college football could obtain adequate testing for those on and around the team. The question is how would that look if that same testing was widely available throughout the US.

I think this is an important issue going forward. The NFL seems to have some internal strategy for opening. I do Wonder to what extent testing is involved in that plan.

As I said before I think there would be significant problems and backlash if leagues were able to test while the general public did not have access.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the concern with testing is a legitimate one. I would suspect that the leagues whether basketball or football or even college football could obtain adequate testing for those on and around the team. The question is how would that look if that same testing was widely available throughout the US.

I think this is an important issue going forward. The NFL seems to have some internal strategy for opening. I do Wonder to what extent testing is involved in that plan.

As I said before I think there would be significant problems and backlash if leagues were able to test while the general public did not have access.

I can only speak for myself but I do not think it is unreasonable to have targeted tests available for team leagues before we have enough tests or testing infrastructure to supply everyone in America. Sports is important for the National Psyche

Reaction Score
I can only speak for myself but I do not think it is unreasonable to have targeted tests available for team leagues before we have enough tests or testing infrastructure to supply everyone in America. Sports is important for the National Psyche
This is indeed a complex question that challenges competing interests. For example if there were not adequate testing for first responders, assisted care residents, and correctional officers as well as inmates I would guess there might be a number in the general population would question the wisdom of devoting testing resources to recreation and leisure.

I do give to weight to Sue Bird's view as a participant and a respected leader in the entertainment leisure field.

That said let's hope the widespread testing soon becomes available. Widespread testing was key I think to South Korea's success in addressing the pandemic.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pretty detailed Power Rankings of the 2020 WNBA season including roster analysis and budget
in the Atlhetic

Interesting little morsel

Players entering the second or third year of their contracts will get bumped up to the league minimum salary ($57,000 for those with 0-2 years of service in 2020) under the new CBA. Based on the rookie pay scale laid out by the CBA (and shown in the chart below), second- and third-year players will make less than their teammates selected in the first and second rounds in April, unless otherwise negotiated with their teams.

2020 Preseason Power Rankings

12. New York Liberty :(
11. Minnesota Lynx :eek:
10. Dallas Wings
9. Indiana Fever
8. Atlanta Dream
7. Chicago Sky
6. Las Vegas Aces
5. Phoenix Mercury
4. Connecticut Sun
3. Seattle Storm
2. Los Angeles Sparks
1. Washington Mystics

To give a flavor of a team analysis, Dallas which has the most competition perhaps. They think Karlie will be cut and unfortunately, that is the case.

Dallas Wings
What’s old?

Ironically, the young’uns. Dallas is a team built on youth, with Arike Ogunbowale, Allisha Gray, Kayla Thornton and Isabelle Harrison at the helm. Together, they have 11 years of WNBA experience — enough to equal that of a wily veteran.

What’s new?

Too much? Through free agency and the multiple picks they had at their disposal during the WNBA Draft (even after trading a couple away), the Wings have assembled an arsenal of young talent. The problem is there’s not enough space to keep them all. In the mix are sisters Karlie and Katie Lou Samuelson, first-round draft picks Satou Sabally, Bella Alarie and Tyasha Harris and second-rounder Luisa Geiselsoder. How are final cuts going to play out?

Starters

Arike Ogunbowale G
Moriah Jefferson G
Satou Sabally F
Isabelle Harrison C
Kayla Thornton F

I’m banking on Jefferson being ready to go after sitting out last season to continue rehabbing a knee injury. With Jefferson at the point, Ogunbowale can move back to her natural position at shooting guard. Sabally is WNBA ready and should be inserted into the starting lineup on Day One. Imani McGee-Stafford, who averaged 3.9 points per game off the bench for Dallas last season, announced in March she is taking the next two seasons off to pursue a law degree. The Wings placed her on the suspended list as a result.

Bench

Astou Ndour C/F
Allisha Gray G
Tyasha Harris G
Marina Mabrey G
Bella Alarie G/F
Katie Lou Samuelson G
Megan Gustafson F

Dallas’ training camp is going to be fiercely competitive, and we can only speculate who’s going to stand out from the pack. I think Gustafson earns the final roster spot over Kristine Anigwe. They had similar rookie seasons, but Gustafson has shown improvements to her game and I expect that to continue. She’s also a fan favorite.

Cuts

Kristine Anigwe F
Morgan Bertsch F
Luisa Geiselsoder C — sitting out
Karlie Samuelson F

Total cap before cuts: $1,320,729
Total cap after cuts: $1,089,979

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Pretty detailed Power Rankings of the 2020 WNBA season including roster analysis and budget
in the Atlhetic

Players entering the second or third year of their contracts will get bumped up to the league minimum salary ($57,000 for those with 0-2 years of service in 2020) under the new CBA. Based on the rookie pay scale laid out by the CBA (and shown in the chart below), second- and third-year players will make less than their teammates selected in the first and second rounds in April, unless otherwise negotiated with their teams.

10. Dallas Wings
9. Indiana Fever
8. Atlanta Dream
7. Chicago Sky
6. Las Vegas Aces
5. Phoenix Mercury
4. Connecticut Sun
3. Seattle Storm
2. Los Angeles Sparks
1. Washington Mystics

To give a flavor of a team analysis, Dallas which has the most competition perhaps. They think Karlie will be cut and unfortunately, that is the case.

Dallas Wings
What’s old?

Ironically, the young’uns. Dallas is a team built on youth, with Arike Ogunbowale, Allisha Gray, Kayla Thornton and Isabelle Harrison at the helm. Together, they have 11 years of WNBA experience — enough to equal that of a wily veteran.

What’s new?

Too much? Through free agency and the multiple picks they had at their disposal during the WNBA Draft (even after trading a couple away), the Wings have assembled an arsenal of young talent. The problem is there’s not enough space to keep them all. In the mix are sisters Karlie and Katie Lou Samuelson, first-round draft picks Satou Sabally, Bella Alarie and Tyasha Harris and second-rounder Luisa Geiselsoder. How are final cuts going to play out?

Starters

Arike Ogunbowale G
Moriah Jefferson G
Satou Sabally F
Isabelle Harrison C
Kayla Thornton F

I’m banking on Jefferson being ready to go after sitting out last season to continue rehabbing a knee injury. With Jefferson at the point, Ogunbowale can move back to her natural position at shooting guard. Sabally is WNBA ready and should be inserted into the starting lineup on Day One. Imani McGee-Stafford, who averaged 3.9 points per game off the bench for Dallas last season, announced in March she is taking the next two seasons off to pursue a law degree. The Wings placed her on the suspended list as a result.

Bench

Astou Ndour C/F
Allisha Gray G
Tyasha Harris G
Marina Mabrey G
Bella Alarie G/F
Katie Lou Samuelson G
Megan Gustafson F

Dallas’ training camp is going to be fiercely competitive, and we can only speculate who’s going to stand out from the pack. I think Gustafson earns the final roster spot over Kristine Anigwe. They had similar rookie seasons, but Gustafson has shown improvements to her game and I expect that to continue. She’s also a fan favorite.

Cuts

Kristine Anigwe F
Morgan Bertsch F
Karlie Samuelson F

Good read. Vegas seems low to me and Connecticut a step too high. Atlanta I'd have lower too.

It's an interesting year though with so much movement and so many great players back after sitting out. I think any of Washington, Chicago, LA, Vegas, Phoenix, Seattle and Connecticut have a shot to win it all if a season happens. Big question marks are if Euro players can play this year and how players like Bird, Parker, Stewart and DT rebound from injuries.

Reaction Score
in the Atlhetic

10. Dallas Wings
9. Indiana Fever
8. Atlanta Dream
7. Chicago Sky
6. Las Vegas Aces
5. Phoenix Mercury
4. Connecticut Sun
3. Seattle Storm
2. Los Angeles Sparks
1. Washington Mystics

Dallas Wings
What’s old?

What’s new?

Starters

Arike Ogunbowale G
Moriah Jefferson G
Satou Sabally F
Isabelle Harrison C
Kayla Thornton F

Bench

Astou Ndour C/F
Allisha Gray G
Tyasha Harris G
Marina Mabrey G
Bella Alarie G/F
Katie Lou Samuelson G
Megan Gustafson F

Cuts

Kristine Anigwe F
Morgan Bertsch F
Karlie Samuelson F

Thanks for posting this @eebmg, wish I could see the whole article without paying or signing up for the free trial lol

Reaction Score
Pretty detailed Power Rankings of the 2020 WNBA
10. Dallas Wings
9. Indiana Fever
8. Atlanta Dream
7. Chicago Sky
6. Las Vegas Aces
5. Phoenix Mercury
4. Connecticut Sun
3. Seattle Storm
2. Los Angeles Sparks
1. Washington Mystics

What surprises me the most is how low they have Minnesota. Of the teams they have in the bottom 7, only Minnesota has a documented MVP level player in Fowles. I didn’t like how Minnesota drafted, but they still have some solid depth on the team. There’s a good chance Sims could be back this season if she feels motivated enough to do so. If the Lynx were ranked #7, I wouldn’t grumble.

The Mystics deserve to be high, but I would put the Aces at #1. The Aces made significant improvements in roster (McCoughtry, DRob, Allen) without losing much (T Young, Park, Swords).

Ironically, the young’uns. Dallas is a team built on youth, with Arike Ogunbowale, Allisha Gray, Kayla Thornton and Isabelle Harrison at the helm.

I noticed Allisha Gray didn’t sign an extension like her fellow 2017 draft mates, Plum and Wiese. That means either Dallas didn’t offer her one, or they offered her one and she rejected it. Either way, it could be an early signal that she’ll be on a different team the following season. With the new CBA, you can’t afford to pay every bench players top dollar, but maybe another team would value her more.

Starters
Arike Ogunbowale G
Moriah Jefferson G
Satou Sabally F
Isabelle Harrison C
Kayla Thornton F

They gave Ndour a nice raise, so I’ll be a little surprised if they don’t have her as a starter. To me, Sabally is ideally a SF, so if they start her, that would put the other SF, Thornton, on the bench. Thornton has been with the team the longest and is most likely the team leader, so it will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out.

I think Gustafson earns the final roster spot over Kristine Anigwe. They had similar rookie seasons, but Gustafson has shown improvements to her game and I expect that to continue. She’s also a fan favorite.

Cuts
Kristine Anigwe F

That’s a tough one. They had Anigwe valued very high in the draft, but she’s not the consummate team and effort player like Gustafson. If Anigwe can improve her mindset, she probably has a higher ceiling than Gustafson.

Unless she’s joining camp, she should be on the suspended list, not the cut list.

Karlie Samuelson F

The cruel irony of having your sister join the team.

I would love to see their team analysis of Minnesota. I’m sure I would have plenty of stuff to point out.;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What surprises me the most is how low they have Minnesota. Of the teams they have in the bottom 7, only Minnesota has a documented MVP level player in Fowles. I didn’t like how Minnesota drafted, but they still have some solid depth on the team. There’s a good chance Sims could be back this season if she feels motivated enough to do so. If the Lynx were ranked #7, I wouldn’t grumble.

The Mystics deserve to be high, but I would put the Aces at #1. The Aces made significant improvements in roster (McCoughtry, DRob, Allen) without losing much (T Young, Park, Swords).

I noticed Allisha Gray didn’t sign an extension like her fellow 2017 draft mates, Plum and Wiese. That means either Dallas didn’t offer her one, or they offered her one and she rejected it. Either way, it could be an early signal that she’ll be on a different team the following season. With the new CBA, you can’t afford to pay every bench players top dollar, but maybe another team would value her more.

They gave Ndour a nice raise, so I’ll be a little surprised if they don’t have her as a starter. To me, Sabally is ideally a SF, so if they start her, that would put the other SF, Thornton, on the bench. Thornton has been with the team the longest and is most likely the team leader, so it will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out.

That’s a tough one. They had Anigwe valued very high in the draft, but she’s not the consummate team and effort player like Gustafson. If Anigwe can improve her mindset, she probably has a higher ceiling than Gustafson.

Unless she’s joining camp, she should be on the suspended list, not the cut list.

The cruel irony of having your sister join the team.

I would love to see their team analysis of Minnesota. I’m sure I would have plenty of stuff to point out.;)

Enjoy

Minnesota Lynx
What’s old?

Sylvia Fowles. So much has changed in Minnesota since Fowles joined the team in 2015 and the Lynx were in the middle of their glory years. Gone are Lindsay Whalen, Rebekkah Brunson (now a Lynx assistant coach), Augustus and Maya Moore — the pillars of the four championship teams. The new-look Lynx include reigning rookie of the year Napheesa Collier, second-year forward Jessica Shepard and veteran Damiris Dantas.

What’s new?

Fresh faces. Lynx head coach and general manager Cheryl Reeve addressed the Lynx’s biggest roster holes through the draft, selecting South Carolina forward Mikiah Herbert Harrigan with the sixth pick and UConn point guard Crystal Dangerfield at No. 16 and trading Stephanie Talbot to the Liberty for the 26th pick, Erica Ogwumike. Reuniting Dangerfield and Collier should only help team chemistry, and Herbert Harrigan has the tools to earn a starting job from Day 1.

Starters

Napheesa Collier F
Damiris Dantas F
Sylvia Fowles C
Mikiah Herbert Harrigan F
Crystal Dangerfield G

I would expect Reeve to start Herbert Harrigan alongside Fowles, Collier and Dantas, who started 26 games last season. The question is at point guard. Odyssey Sims has not committed to playing this season after giving birth to son Jaiden in early April. Sims’ absence, or delayed return, would open the door for Lexie Brown or Dangerfield to fill the starting role. I think Dangerfield will show enough in training camp to get the nod.

Bench

Kayla Alexander C
Rachel Banham G
Lexie Brown G
Jessica Shepard F
Odyssey Sims G
Karima Christmas-Kelly F/G
Shenise Johnson G

Reeve has plenty of cap space to work with, and I think she likes what she sees in Ogwumike’s game, but there’s likely not enough roster space to keep her. Banham, a hometown favorite the Lynx acquired in a sign-and-trade with the Sun in February, should make the cut.

Cuts

Linnae Harper G
Cecilia Zandalasini F
Erica Ogwumike G

Total cap before cuts: $1,193,627
Total cap after cuts: $1,068,627

Reaction Score
Minnesota Lynx
What’s old?
Sylvia Fowles. So much has changed in Minnesota since Fowles joined the team in 2015 and the Lynx were in the middle of their glory years.

She’s old like Candace Parker, but her league MVP wasn’t that long ago, and she looks to be in very good shape.

Gone are Lindsay Whalen, Rebekkah Brunson (now a Lynx assistant coach), Augustus and Maya Moore — the pillars of the four championship teams.

Whalen didn’t have the desire to stay in shape to the level of a Bird or Taurasi. Augustus couldn’t stay healthy. So they were both hurting the team by staying on those last couple of years. I’m relieved the Lynx have finally moved on from them. Maya was the main pillar, and I’m sensing she could be back in the future... although Reeve keeps adding these SF’s like Collier and MHH, so I’m not seeing how it all meshes together in the future.

The new-look Lynx include reigning rookie of the year Napheesa Collier, second-year forward Jessica Shepard and veteran Damiris Dantas.

This is a bad thing? I guess so, considering where he has them ranked.

trading Stephanie Talbot to the Liberty for the 26th pick, Erica Ogwumike.

Head-scratching move to me. Basically a dump of a player who is not that bad for a name-brand player that can’t possibly make the team unless a bunch of people don’t show up.

Herbert Harrigan has the tools to earn a starting job from Day 1.

No way. Dantas is the starter. Only way she’s not is if she doesn’t show up.

Starters
Napheesa Collier F
Damiris Dantas F
Sylvia Fowles C
Crystal Dangerfield G

Who is the SG in this lineup?

Odyssey Sims has not committed to playing this season after giving birth to son Jaiden in early April. Sims’ absence, or delayed return, would open the door for Lexie Brown or Dangerfield to fill the starting role.

If Sims isn’t back, I think it’ll probably be Banham in the starting role. Tough to be sure about this, but she has the most experience. Reeve likes experience.

Bench
Kayla Alexander C
Rachel Banham G
Lexie Brown G
Jessica Shepard F
Odyssey Sims G
Shenise Johnson G

I wouldn’t label Sims a bench player if she’s back. Either she’s deactivated or she’s a starter.

Banham, a hometown favorite the Lynx acquired in a sign-and-trade with the Sun in February, should make the cut.

I have her starting and he has her barely making the cut.

Cuts
Linnae Harper G
Cecilia Zandalasini F
Erica Ogwumike G

Zandalasini won’t get “cut”. I suppose there could be a possibility of her not showing up because of coronavirus, but that would be a suspension. It’s an important distinction. When you cut a player, you no longer have the rights to that player. Zandalasini has been participating in the team Zoom meetings. So I take that as she’s interested in showing up for the season.

Reaction Score
Enjoy

Minnesota Lynx
What’s old?

Sylvia Fowles. So much has changed in Minnesota since Fowles joined the team in 2015 and the Lynx were in the middle of their glory years. Gone are Lindsay Whalen, Rebekkah Brunson (now a Lynx assistant coach), Augustus and Maya Moore — the pillars of the four championship teams. The new-look Lynx include reigning rookie of the year Napheesa Collier, second-year forward Jessica Shepard and veteran Damiris Dantas.

What’s new?

Fresh faces. Lynx head coach and general manager Cheryl Reeve addressed the Lynx’s biggest roster holes through the draft, selecting South Carolina forward Mikiah Herbert Harrigan with the sixth pick and UConn point guard Crystal Dangerfield at No. 16 and trading Stephanie Talbot to the Liberty for the 26th pick, Erica Ogwumike. Reuniting Dangerfield and Collier should only help team chemistry, and Herbert Harrigan has the tools to earn a starting job from Day 1.

Starters

Napheesa Collier F
Damiris Dantas F
Sylvia Fowles C
Crystal Dangerfield G

I would expect Reeve to start Herbert Harrigan alongside Fowles, Collier and Dantas, who started 26 games last season. The question is at point guard. Odyssey Sims has not committed to playing this season after giving birth to son Jaiden in early April. Sims’ absence, or delayed return, would open the door for Lexie Brown or Dangerfield to fill the starting role. I think Dangerfield will show enough in training camp to get the nod.

Bench

Kayla Alexander C
Rachel Banham G
Lexie Brown G
Jessica Shepard F
Odyssey Sims G
Shenise Johnson G

Reeve has plenty of cap space to work with, and I think she likes what she sees in Ogwumike’s game, but there’s likely not enough roster space to keep her. Banham, a hometown favorite the Lynx acquired in a sign-and-trade with the Sun in February, should make the cut.

Cuts

Linnae Harper G
Cecilia Zandalasini F
Erica Ogwumike G

@eebmg can you post their team analyses of the Mystics & Sun too?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
@eebmg can you post their team analyses of the Mystics & Sun too?

Ok. Probably going to hear about this from the moderators but in this tough time, I will do it one last time. :oops:

Connecticut Sun
What’s old?

A pair of Thomases and a Jones. Jasmine Thomas, Alyssa Thomas and Jonquel Jones were three key players in Connecticut’s run to the Finals last season, starting all 34 games. And they’re back, along with bench players Natisha Hiedeman and Bria Holmes, on a team that also has a number of new faces.

What’s new?

A big-time free agent. The Sun won the DeWanna Bonner sweepstakes, signing the three-time All-Star as well as her former Mercury teammate Briann January. They also added forward Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and guards Jacki Gemelos and Jazmon Gwathmey to bolster their depth. Connecticut used their second- and third-round draft picks on Maryland shooting guard Kaila Charles and Baylor point guard Juicy Landrum.

Starters

DeWanna Bonner F/G
Alyssa Thomas F
Jasmine Thomas G
Jonquel Jones F/C
Briann January G

The Sun thrived last season on fast breaks from turnovers and defensive rebounds as well as shots from beyond the arc (they were second in the league with 254 3-pointers made). This starting five can maintain that speed and be even more dangerous from 3 with January and Bonner in the lineup.

Bench

Jacki Gemelos G
Natisha Hiedeman G
Bria Holmes G
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis F
Kaila Charles G/F
Brionna Jones F
Theresa Plaisance F

Gemelos is my surprise choice to make the final cut. After coming back from five — yes, five — ACL injuries over the course of her career since college, she’s never had a real shot at the WNBA. This could be it. Gemelos averaged 16 points per game with Olympiacos in Greece this past season and she has the skill to make the Sun.

Cuts

Jazmon Gwathmey G
Megan Huff F
Juicy Landrum G

Total cap before cuts: $1,303,150
Total cap after cuts: $1,246,150

Washington Mystics
Editor’s Note: The previous version of this story indicated Tina Charles was making the maximum salary in 2020 ($215,000), according to Spotrac. Winsidr reported last month, however, that Charles signed a one-year, $175,000 deal with the Mystics following the trade with the Liberty to make the transaction possible.

What’s old?

A championship-caliber team. Aside from Toliver and Walker-Kimbrough, the Mystics didn’t lose much in the offseason. The key contributors — Ariel Powers, Natasha Cloud, Ariel Atkins, Tianna Hawkins and LaToya Sanders — remain, including MVP Elena Delle Donne and Finals MVP Emma Meesseman.

What’s new?

A centerpiece. Washington landed one of the biggest players in free agency, albeit late in the game, when it acquired Tina Charles from the Liberty in a three-team blockbuster. The 6-foot-4 center fortifies the Mystics’ already dominant frontcourt and provides health insurance for Delle Donne and Meesseman. Washington also found a replacement for Toliver, signing former Mercury guard Leilani Mitchell, last season’s Most Improved Player.

Starters

Natasha Cloud G
Leilani Mitchell G
Elena Delle Donne F/G
LaToya Sanders F/G
Tina Charles C

I can’t imagine Mitchell, who started 27 games and averaged 12 points per game for Phoenix last year, not starting in Washington. She has the ability to fill the hole Toliver left almost seamlessly. How quickly Delle Donne and Charles are able to build offensive chemistry will go a long way toward the Mystics’ success.

Bench

Ariel Atkins G
Tianna Hawkins F
Myisha Hines-Allen F
Emma Meesseman F
Aerial Powers F/G

Washington’s bench remains almost fully intact. I can’t see how two late-round picks (second-rounder Jaylyn Agnew and third-rounder Sug Sutton) make the roster when the Mystics’ bench already is as deep as it is. The issue is salary cap. With two players — Delle Donne and Meesseman — earning the maximum salary ($215,000) and Charles $175,000, the Mystics are tight on cap space.

Cuts

Jaylyn Agnew F
Sug Sutton G
Kiara Leslie G

Total cap before cuts: $1,405,150
Total cap after cuts: $1,231,400

Reaction Score
Ok. Probably going to hear about this from the moderators but in this tough time, I will do it one last time. :oops:

Connecticut Sun
What’s old?

A pair of Thomases and a Jones. Jasmine Thomas, Alyssa Thomas and Jonquel Jones were three key players in Connecticut’s run to the Finals last season, starting all 34 games. And they’re back, along with bench players Natisha Hiedeman and Bria Holmes, on a team that also has a number of new faces.

What’s new?

A big-time free agent. The Sun won the DeWanna Bonner sweepstakes, signing the three-time All-Star as well as her former Mercury teammate Briann January. They also added forward Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and guards Jacki Gemelos and Jazmon Gwathmey to bolster their depth. Connecticut used their second- and third-round draft picks on Maryland shooting guard Kaila Charles and Baylor point guard Juicy Landrum.

Starters

DeWanna Bonner F/G
Alyssa Thomas F
Jasmine Thomas G
Jonquel Jones F/C
Briann January G

The Sun thrived last season on fast breaks from turnovers and defensive rebounds as well as shots from beyond the arc (they were second in the league with 254 3-pointers made). This starting five can maintain that speed and be even more dangerous from 3 with January and Bonner in the lineup.

Bench

Jacki Gemelos G
Natisha Hiedeman G
Bria Holmes G
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis F
Kaila Charles G/F
Brionna Jones F
Theresa Plaisance F

Gemelos is my surprise choice to make the final cut. After coming back from five — yes, five — ACL injuries over the course of her career since college, she’s never had a real shot at the WNBA. This could be it. Gemelos averaged 16 points per game with Olympiacos in Greece this past season and she has the skill to make the Sun.

Cuts

Jazmon Gwathmey G
Megan Huff F
Juicy Landrum G

Total cap before cuts: $1,303,150
Total cap after cuts: $1,246,150

Washington Mystics
Editor’s Note: The previous version of this story indicated Tina Charles was making the maximum salary in 2020 ($215,000), according to Spotrac. Winsidr reported last month, however, that Charles signed a one-year, $175,000 deal with the Mystics following the trade with the Liberty to make the transaction possible.

What’s old?

A championship-caliber team. Aside from Toliver and Walker-Kimbrough, the Mystics didn’t lose much in the offseason. The key contributors — Ariel Powers, Natasha Cloud, Ariel Atkins, Tianna Hawkins and LaToya Sanders — remain, including MVP Elena Delle Donne and Finals MVP Emma Meesseman.

What’s new?

A centerpiece. Washington landed one of the biggest players in free agency, albeit late in the game, when it acquired Tina Charles from the Liberty in a three-team blockbuster. The 6-foot-4 center fortifies the Mystics’ already dominant frontcourt and provides health insurance for Delle Donne and Meesseman. Washington also found a replacement for Toliver, signing former Mercury guard Leilani Mitchell, last season’s Most Improved Player.

Starters

Natasha Cloud G
Leilani Mitchell G
Elena Delle Donne F/G
LaToya Sanders F/G
Tina Charles C

I can’t imagine Mitchell, who started 27 games and averaged 12 points per game for Phoenix last year, not starting in Washington. She has the ability to fill the hole Toliver left almost seamlessly. How quickly Delle Donne and Charles are able to build offensive chemistry will go a long way toward the Mystics’ success.

Bench

Ariel Atkins G
Tianna Hawkins F
Myisha Hines-Allen F
Emma Meesseman F
Aerial Powers F/G

Washington’s bench remains almost fully intact. I can’t see how two late-round picks (second-rounder Jaylyn Agnew and third-rounder Sug Sutton) make the roster when the Mystics’ bench already is as deep as it is. The issue is salary cap. With two players — Delle Donne and Meesseman — earning the maximum salary ($215,000) and Charles $175,000, the Mystics are tight on cap space.

Cuts

Jaylyn Agnew F
Sug Sutton G
Kiara Leslie G

Total cap before cuts: $1,405,150
Total cap after cuts: $1,231,400
Thank you!

Reaction Score
The WNBA players will start being paid on June 1, regardless of whether a training camp will be possible. In all likelihood, WNBA teams will be trimming their rosters to 12 without the benefit of training camp. The WNBA CBA caps the number of players who can be paid as active players at 12, so it would take an amendment to pay more than 12. Consequently, look for many rookies and other hopefuls to be cut before June 1 without being able to report and compete for a roster spot. Such is life in sports during a pandemic. The vets will be paid. The question is for how long.

Reaction Score
No way Cece Zandalwhatever gets cut. That was a real bad write up on the Lynx. That would never be a starting line up as well. I don’t think they will be contenders but gee whiz author :eek:

Reaction Score
Enjoy

Minnesota Lynx
What’s old?

What’s new?

Starters

Napheesa Collier F
Damiris Dantas F
Sylvia Fowles C
Crystal Dangerfield G

Bench

Kayla Alexander C
Rachel Banham G
Lexie Brown G
Jessica Shepard F
Odyssey Sims G
Shenise Johnson G

Cuts

Linnae Harper G
Cecilia Zandalasini F
Erica Ogwumike G

Wouldn't be surprised to see Dangerfield raise her game to meet the challenges of playing at the WNBA level. However, will the Lynx really start two rookies for their first game?

Reaction Score
Agreed. But they’ll be duking (see what I did there) it out in training camp.
Haha but yeah with odyssey sims out for some time I see brown take a starting role

Reaction Score
Starters

DeWanna Bonner F/G
Alyssa Thomas F
Jasmine Thomas G
Jonquel Jones F/C
Briann January G
I think this lineup is spot on!

Bench

Jacki Gemelos G
Natisha Hiedeman G
Bria Holmes G
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis F
Kaila Charles G/F
Brionna Jones F
Theresa Plaisance F
Now the bench will be weak again in my opinion unless Kaleena & Brionna have breakout years, Holmes brings the same energy every game & Hiedeman improves & Charles gets some minutes and thrives as a backup to AT in terms of being a point forward. The Sun would be really dangerous then.

Starters

Natasha Cloud G
Leilani Mitchell G
Elena Delle Donne F/G
LaToya Sanders F/G
Tina Charles C
I’m sorry but Atkins shouldn’t be going to the bench for Mitchell even tho Mitchell brings that 3 point threat that Toliver was. Atkins is an excellent shooter as well plus she is athletic & gets to the rim. & If Meesseman isn’t starting after her finals MVP performance then they must want to lose her next season.. so I’d put her in over Sanders since they have Charles to protect the paint.
Bench

Ariel Atkins G
Tianna Hawkins F
Myisha Hines-Allen F
Emma Meesseman F
Aerial Powers F/G
Bench is thin but if they can get 11, Leslie makes the cut in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom