2020 UConn Commit Jonathan Senecal to Univ. of Montreal | The Boneyard

2020 UConn Commit Jonathan Senecal to Univ. of Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yeah word is he was experiencing some medical conditions beyond his knee injury which also had been discouraging. I guess he decided to return to Canada, get healthy, do the training he wants to do at his pace in order to reload. And I guess maybe he'll stay there...who really knows.

Reaction Score
Good for Jonathan; completes some university courses, ideally the US gets its' collective stuff in order, and subsequently Jonathan potentially (?) transfers to UConn. Other than the NCAA being the NCAA, any reason enrollment in a Canadian or other non-US university prevents a student-athlete from transferring in with up to 4, maybe even 5 years of eligibility? @Medic @upstater @Exit 4 or others?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Good for Jonathan; completes some university courses, ideally the US gets its' collective stuff in order, and subsequently Jonathan potentially (?) transfers to UConn. Other than the NCAA being the NCAA, any reason enrollment in a Canadian or other non-US university prevents a student-athlete from transferring in with up to 4, maybe even 5 years of eligibility? @Medic @upstater @Exit 4 or others?
His clock to play under the NCAA rules has started. He has 5 years to play 4, which is soon to be 6 years to play 4. He arrived in Jan 2020, so I think this means he will have the ability to play 4 years in the US through 2025. That's a lot of time, so I kind of think he will try to play one or two years with Montreal, get his stock up and then look to return to the US. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he decided not to come to the US due to COVID. Best of luck to Jonathan.

J. Sénécal quitte la NCAA pour les Carabins

For the translation challenged (can’t blame him):

>>A big catch fell into the net for the University of Montreal Carabins on Thursday, when quarterback Jonathan Senecal confirmed his intention to continue his career with their program.

Senecal, 20, had been recruited by the University of Connecticut team and was scheduled to begin his NCAA career in 2020. The COVID-19 crisis, however, thwarted his arrival on American soil and eventually prompted him to reconsider his decision to continue its development in the United States.

"The pandemic and the cancellation of the season by the Huskies team made me think," Senecal said in a statement sent by the Carabins. The context is not at all the same as when I announced my decision. It made less sense for me to study off campus and not have the experience of playing football in the United States. On reflection, I felt it was better to come back close to my family. »

Senecal, a product of the Phoenix of André-Grasset College, is considered a prodigy in the small world of Quebec football. Our colleague Éric Leblanc recounted his career and looked at his future in a series of articles published last January.

Senecal and his new coach, Marco Iadeluca, will speak to the media in the early afternoon.<<

Reaction Score

No idea

I suspect it may be the lack of poutine in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I wonder if we start looking for a 2nd QB this class.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wonder if we start looking for a 2nd QB this class.
I think we should chill until we sign up round one and then decide if that second QB should be a transfer or second HS option. Tyler P is gonna be the man. Second is for depth.

Reaction Score
Nice to have Foerster there as a RS-freshman walk-on. Adds depth and seems to have some talent. Also very happy to already have a QB in this recruiting class. A surprise exit by Senecal does not sting as much when there is a QB commit in hand.

Reaction Score
I think we should chill until we sign up round one and then decide if that second QB should be a transfer or second HS option. Tyler P is gonna be the man. Second is for depth.
Not sure about. I don’t think Tyler had any P 5 offers. Not saying he won’t produce but the coach’s and talent evaluators didn’t love him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can't blame him once we cancelled the season.

C

Chief00

I said cancelling the season would hurt us and now it begins. The SEC and Big12 are just going to get stronger by playing and be less of a risk attending cuz the recruit knows they will have seasons.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
1597355112681.png

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not sure about. I don’t think Tyler had any P 5 offers. Not saying he won’t produce but the coach’s and talent evaluators didn’t love him.

Some thoughts
i) I think it was known he was a heavy UConn lean so the market didn’t move on him very quickly.
ii) Recruiting QB is very different than any other position. Schools go through their lists with precision this time of year and then start to get impatient and free wheeling only at the end of the recruiting period. I think Tyler would have climbed the ranks of many other prospect charts later this fall as other kids make decisions.
iii) Because he is a touch shorter than preferred, I think the P5 programs wanted to see some fall ball. He really has all the tools except ideal height.
iv) At the moment we aren’t really tracking any other QBs. Maybe that will change now, but its noteworthy that as of yesterday we were doing much of anything looking at other QBs.
v) You can't put too much stock in the recruiting rankings at the individual level. Just go back through the past ten years on rivals and 247. Its remarkable how at the individual level both sites routinely miss-evaluated our guys. Most of the guys with higher rankings have actually been non impact players for us and many of the lower rated guys have had an outsized impact. On a basket basis the recruiting rankings have some merit, at the individual level they are rather inaccurate.

I would want to get Tyler signed in December and then look at the options in the JUCO/transfer market for the Feb signing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I said cancelling the season would hurt us and now it begins. The SEC and Big12 are just going to get stronger by playing and be less of a risk attending cuz the recruit knows they will have seasons.
Senecal is going to the University of Montreal; is that SEC north?

Due the 25 man rule there are virtually no seats at the table at any of the few schools still playing ball. You can transfer to be a walk on, but you wont be playing until 2021.

B1G, P12, Mountain West (includes Boise State and Colorado State which we recruit against occasionally), the MAC, ODU, UMass, New Mexico State and UConn have cancelled on 2020 football. That's pretty good company. Its likely there are more cancellations coming.

We are going to have transfers, we always do. Will it be more than normal, because that is the question and I feel pretty good the answer is that it wont be more than the normal churn.

C

Chief00

We couldn’t have manned up and made a brand statement by playing - but didn’t.

Reaction Score
Oh brother. In this issue, I'd rather be one side of the Big 10 than the SEC. Also Indiana is reported had freshman OL with serious issues post Covid already. The sun will continue to rise without 1 season of CFB.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Lol! The biggest reason he didn't come down is because Canada knows what they're doing with containing COVID and we don't. That resulted in us cancelling and honestly, if I lived in Canada, I wouldn't wanna come here either.

I don't blame the kid one bit. However, to claim this as recruiting issue bc we cancelled, is a joke

Reaction Score
We couldn’t have manned up and made a brand statement by playing - but didn’t.
Have someone proof read what you post it would really help your cred. ;)
Then again with a lot of them not so much.Head bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger