2020 Schedule | The Boneyard

2020 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whole schedule (again, thanks to the UconnBlog)

Sep. 3: UMass

Sep. 12: at Illinois

Sep. 19: at Virginia

Sep. 26 Indiana

Oct. 3: Old Dominion

Oct. 10: Maine

Oct. 24: at Ole Miss

Oct. 31: Liberty

Nov. 7: at North Carolina

Nov. 14: at San Jose State

Nov. 21: Middle Tennessee

Nov. 28: Army

Looks like all future games are listed here: UConn football future opponents

Reaction Score
5 P5 games, 1 at home.
7 home games total.

About at good as could be expected on short notice.

Exactly. Do I love the schedule? No. But they have a schedule, and they got six home games plus one, and they didn't have to play a second FCS team. Nice job by the suits.

There are a good number of games in the schedule that I expect should be winnable if we play as well as we played in our more competitive games this year. I know many here would like to see Edsall gone, but I'd be surprised if it's even being seriously considered. He has failed the first three years. That schedule should allow us a shot at bowl eligibility. If we're not at least close to it, talk to me about firing coaches then.

Reaction Score
More power 5 opponents. More opportunities to get some actual wins. Put up or shut up time for Edsall next year. He should be able to get to 6 wins with that schedule in year 3.

Reaction Score
Note: 7 home + 2 additional reasonably drivable games from CT in easily accessible locations for lower Mid Atlantic to GA to FL recruits, parents, alumni, other fans (yes, UVA & UNC). SEC Ole Miss 90 min from Memphis airport, B1G Illini 2 1/2 hr from OHare or Midway. Bay Area long weekend destination.

Additional contractual tidbits:

Tip of the cap to DB & colleagues for working through logistical challenges to pull together the schedule in such a short time.

Reaction Score
Glad we got it complete, and added one more P5 school.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
What I like about independence is the variety of teams they are playing. I assume at some point there will be repeats with other independents, but it will be nice to play all conferences.

Reaction Score
UNC being a 1 and done is disappointing. Good schedule though.
2020 scheduling was a scramble where Benedict and company pulled as many strings as possible to 1) keep the fan base from having another reason not to show up, 2) get 7 home games, and 3) show the fan base, the media, and the AAC that the AAC deal sucked and that UConn made the right decision. To achieve those goals required some wheeling and dealing which had its costs.

The P5 home and homes will develop when there is sufficient time to negotiate and schedule out several years in advance. I think we will see 6 home games as the norm with a 7th played at a neutral site.

2021 scheduling will still be a challenge as UConn is playing Army and UMass away and has 2 pay games (UCF for $1M and Clemson $1.2M), so there are currently only 2 homes (Holy Cross and Purdue) and 4 aways on the schedule. Still lots of work for 2021.

Reaction Score
I know it is WAY in the future but not Marland games are listed as road games? That can’t be right? I actually like next year too. Getting back to what worked in the early 2000s. Mixture of majors and some lesser teams that will ideally let us get our feet under us.

Reaction Score
Its a pretty good balance of having a bunch of interesting opponents, but also a bunch of winnable games..

At some point we're going to need to get bigger names at home but for year 1 well done

Reaction Score
Bye week 10/14: Another likeable 2020 schedule fact is the Week 7 bye.

2 A games, 4 H with Maine at home 10/10. Then, a brief break 10/17 before traveling to Oxford to face the Rebs 10/24.

Advantage independence? Or, just worked out well?

Reaction Score
I have to say... there's not a single AAC team that I'm going to miss. (OK, maybe Navy...)
I feel an attachment to Temple (not sure why) and Navy as well. Navy, realistically, we will never play again. Playing vs Notre Dame, Army and Air Force doesn't leave room for UConn. The Temple AD already said he was interested in pursuing a series with UConn, so there's that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Very nice schedule. Great work by Benedict and company!

I'll be that guy and just say this: it would be nice if, in order to entice season ticket holders to stay on board, that we get the 7 home games for the standard price of 6...

... just sayin'...

Reaction Score
Although the home schedule is weak, getting 3 regional opponents (Army, UMass, and even Maine) is a positive for some added local interest. Some of those 7 home games could actually be winnable.

And consider this: this year we played 2 P5 schools; next year we play 5.

Maybe we'll be all right after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul