2020 Recruiting: what's next? | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: what's next?

Reaction Score
very quiet on the recruiting front. How do you see our 2020 class filling out? Andre is a great addition and paired with Bouk will be a devastating combo that I can't wait ot see. But who is our big man? And how about the third 2020 scholly that several insiders say is a sure thing - who will that be? I''d love to hear your thoughts!

Reaction Score
Our big man will be Javonte Brown Ferguson (hopefully) and then our third scholly (if we have it) will be Cam Thomas once L$U gets nailed with NCAA sanctions.

I think the staff will be a lot more free to pursue our other possibilities once we are able to lock down a big.

Reaction Score
Hurley:
1572278217737.gif

Reaction Score
will be Cam Thomas once L$U gets nailed with NCAA sanctions.

even if L$U gets sanctioned we wouldn't suddenly become his second choice- he didnt even take his OV here. it would probably be auburn or ucla.

blind speculation:
1. Jackson
2. Javonte Brown Ferguson
3/4. Cliff and/or grad transfer combo guard

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A versatile, experienced scoring 6'7" wing would be absolutely ideal for 2020-21.

not arguing with the scoring need but isn't wing the deepest position next year? wouldn't someone that can play on the wing or handle the ball be more helpful? or is this a best available thing?

Ball Handler- Cole/Gaffney/Adams= 3 deep
Wing- Polley/Bouk/Jackson/Gaffney/Wilson/Adams= 6 deep (polley at SF seems for real)
Stretch- Akok/Polley/Jackson/Wilson= 4 deep
Big- Carlton/Javonte Brown Ferguson/Springs/Whaley= 4 deep

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we get a center (Javonte Brown Ferguson) then I see the next biggest need being PG.
AG is likely leaving and we have no idea if Gaffney can run the team. And even if he can, there’s no backup PG.
Next year we will have the most dynamic, deep, experienced team that we’ve had in 5 years and possibly no PG to run it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
not arguing with the scoring need but isn't wing the deepest position next year? wouldn't someone that can play on the wing or handle the ball be more helpful? or is this a best available thing?

Ball Handler- Cole/Gaffney/Adams= 3 deep
Wing- Polley/Bouk/Jackson/Gaffney/Wilson/Adams= 6 deep (polley at SF seems for real)
Stretch- Akok/Polley/Jackson/Wilson= 4 deep
Big- Carlton/Javonte Brown Ferguson/Springs/Whaley= 4 deep

I'm confused. Would a wing be more helpful than a wing?

I consider Bouknight a ball handler. Even Jackson can dribble. Hell, he's a big PG/point forward in some ways.

Guards: Cole, Gaffney, Adams, Bouknight
Wing/SF: Jackson, Wilson, Polley, Adams
PF: Akok, Polley, Springs, Whaley
C: Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson, Springs, Whaley

Towns is almost ideal. Does everything well. Shoots, handles, passes. He's the ideal Hurley player in many ways.

Reaction Score
Would a wing be more helpful than a wing?

i clearly said someone that can play on the wing or handle the ball meaning they should be able to do both, not one or the other. if towns can do that then yes he's ideal, but i'm slightly skeptical harvard has a 6'7 guy that can also play the point in stretches

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If we get a center (Javonte Brown Ferguson) then I see the next biggest need being PG.
AG is likely leaving and we have no idea if Gaffney can run the team. And even if he can, there’s no backup PG.
Next year we will have the most dynamic, deep, experienced team that we’ve had in 5 years and possibly no PG to run it.

Gaffney is the backup. Cole is likely the starter. I went back over UConn team rosters over the years and found no more than 1 or 2 seasons where he had more than 2 PG plus a combo. Cole, Gaffney, Adams. I see PG as critical for the 2021-22 recruiting season.

Now if Adams isn't ready for this level, that changes the math.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
i clearly said someone that can play on the wing or handle the ball meaning they should be able to do both. if towns can do that than yes he's ideal, but i'm slightly skeptical harvard has a 6'7 guy that can also play the point in stretches

He doesn't need to play the point. Look at the video I posted where Towns puts up 25 on Kentucky. He shoots, attacks the rim, passes, handles.

Reaction Score
i clearly said someone that can play on the wing or handle the ball meaning they should be able to do both, not one or the other. if towns can do that than yes he's ideal, but i'm slightly skeptical harvard has a 6'7 guy that can also play the point in stretches
Quite possible you thought you used an "and" instead of an "or".

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I'm confused. Would a wing be more helpful than a wing?

I consider Bouknight a ball handler. Even Jackson can dribble. Hell, he's a big PG/point forward in some ways.

Guards: Cole, Gaffney, Adams, Bouknight
Wing/SF: Jackson, Wilson, Polley, Adams
PF: Akok, Polley, Springs, Whaley
C: Carlton, Javonte Brown Ferguson, Springs, Whaley

Towns is almost ideal. Does everything well. Shoots, handles, passes. He's the ideal Hurley player in many ways.

1000+ Likes for Seth Towns

Reaction Score
Gaffney is the backup. Cole is likely the starter. I went back over UConn team rosters over the years and found no more than 1 or 2 seasons where he had more than 2 PG plus a combo. Cole, Gaffney, Adams. I see PG as critical for the 2021-22 recruiting season.

Now if Adams isn't ready for this level, that changes the math.
You go through all those seasons and we always had a stud at point guard and almoat always a second stud at point guard/second ballhandler. We just don't know if Cole or Gaffney will he ready, got to trust the staff.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is the backup. Cole is likely the starter.
I forgot about Cole. That at least resolves the backup PG issue. But he’s more a scorer than a distributor, right? So I’d still like to see a PG recruited if AG leaves.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You go through all those seasons and we always had a stud at point guard and almoat always a second stud at point guard/second ballhandler. We just don't know if Cole or Gaffney will he ready, got to trust the staff.

I thought that too, but it wasn't really the case. In 2011 we had Kemba sure, but his backup was a 4 star Freshman. Much like Gaffney this year behind AG (next year he'll be a Soph). Donnell Beverly was next in line.

2014 was rare, a senior and junior. But behind them? T-Sam and Sam Cassell.

2008-09 had strong guard, with Price, freshman Kemba, Austrie and Dyson plus Beverly.
But 2007-08 had just those same guys minus Kemba. With less experience.

2005-06, great team: Marcus Williams, freshman Austrie only PG. Anderson and Rob Garrison were the only other guards.

It's always a risk that the guys won't be good enough. I think Hurley is building dept the way that 2005-6 team was built, with versatile wings/SG/Sf who could handle. Guys like Denham. And yes, Jackson and Towns would fit that mold.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A grad transfer worth his salt is not gonna want to sit behind Cole and Gaffney.

Reaction Score
I thought that too, but it wasn't really the case. In 2011 we had Kemba sure, but his backup was a 4 star Freshman. Much like Gaffney this year behind AG (next year he'll be a Soph). Donnell Beverly was next in line.

2014 was rare, a senior and junior. But behind them? T-Sam and Sam Cassell.

2008-09 had strong guard, with Price, freshman Kemba, Austrie and Dyson plus Beverly.
But 2007-08 had just those same guys minus Kemba. With less experience.

2005-06, great team: Marcus Williams, freshman Austrie only PG. Anderson and Rob Garrison were the only other guards.

It's always a risk that the guys won't be good enough. I think Hurley is building dept the way that 2005-6 team was built, with versatile wings/SG/Sf who could handle. Guys like Denham. And yes, Jackson and Towns would fit that mold.
Yes but all those teams had stars at point guard and the one team that had no backup for Marcus had easily the best frontcourt in the country.

We just have to trust Cole can be really good at this level. He put up great stats at Howard but that is arguably the worst conference in the country. Gaffney will be good but our history has shown it's fairly rare here to have a sophomore lead us.

It's all moot because those will be our two points next year if AG leaves.

Reaction Score
Wasn't talking about Towns. Other people were talking about a grad transfer PG being more important. I'm saying the likelihood of getting a good one is low.

lower than the likelihood of getting a good wing? starting over polley and bouk next year wont be much easier than starting over cole, if at all

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom