2020-2021 UConnWBB Roster Updated | The Boneyard

2020-2021 UConnWBB Roster Updated

Reaction Score
I see the 6’3 Edwards is listed as a guard, does anyone think she will be the back up center? I think she’s UConn future starter at wing, and will slide in to play some 4 from time to time. I watched a few minutes of the Canada game vs USA, while Edwards did crash in for the boards, she played mostly facing the rim and from behind the 3 point line.
Paige/ Muhl
Westbrook/ Anna
Williams/Edwards
Griffin/Mir
Liv/Piath

Reaction Score
I see the 6’3 Edwards is listed as a guard, does anyone think she will be the back up center? I think she’s UConn future starter at wing, and will slide in to play some 4 from time to time. I watched a few minutes of the Canada game vs USA, while Edwards did crash in for the boards, she played mostly facing the rim and from behind the 3 point line.
Paige/ Muhl
Westbrook/ Anna
Williams/Edwards
Griffin/Mir
Liv/Piath

Notice that Gabriel is a forward. LOL Guess we DO have a big strong power forward after all. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I thought it was interesting that there were only 2 choices- G or F.... Also- I sort of remember Aubrey listed as a G last year and now a F. Should we read anything in those tea leaves? I can't believe how much I need live sports that I just wrote that...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I see the 6’3 Edwards is listed as a guard, does anyone think she will be the back up center?

Same thing happened during Napheesa Collier's freshman season when they listed her as a guard. Very odd.

Reaction Score
Same thing happened during Napheesa Collier's freshman season when they listed her as a guard. Very odd.
I believe Gabby and KML we’re both listed as guards at one point and then listed as forwards after that.

Reaction Score
As the game continues to evolve towards more of a position less status it will matter less and less who gets called what.

Many inside/back to the basket type players have learned the importance of being able to handle the basketball and work to develop this skill, just as how outside/guard type players are now physically stronger than in years past. Years ago UT listed Parker as a G/F/C and some posters on the old ESPN board gave some grief about it. I am not sure it matters much anymore who plays where because of the general versatility many top players have with respect to their skills.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Specifically on the Center position, today's players feel such a label is too limiting and I guess if there is ambiguity in being called a guard or forward, most players would rather see themselves described as a guard. Again, viewed as less limiting.

Reaction Score
Specifically on the Center position, today's players feel such a label is too limiting and I guess if there is ambiguity in being called a guard or forward, most players would rather see themselves described as a guard. Again, viewed as less limiting.
Agreed, this may be more of a players than coaches trend. It has little to do with how they will be used in college, but is more of a reflection of how the player wants to be portrayed. Calling yourself a center suggests a one position low post player. In addition quite a few players go smaller in position as they go up in competition. If they have WNBA or European ambitions they want to be viewed as a good prospect one position or more smaller than they played in college. In it's extreme you have a player like Gabby who played mostly PF at Uconn but also guarded the other teams C on occasions, and last year she rightly or wrongly was used at PG for the Sky.

Some SG's and SF's in the WNBA were probably their teams center in HS, for example. More trends in labeling are any big that can shoot from the perimeter wants to be called a stretch four or five, with traditional post players almost being viewed as limited. The 3 and D designation is so much more common as well, suggesting a possible good two way player, even if the offense is limited to spot up threes.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that coaches used to judge a player's best position on who they could guard, more from a defensive standpoint. That generally meant a closer match in size. Big differences there often produces more offense on both sides. The bigger player can't keep up with the smaller one on the perimeter, and the smaller one gets taken inside and posted up on the other side.

Over time the 3 ball has increased in importance tremendously. One or two three point shooters were enough. Now the best teams expect their SF to have three point range, and hope they can find a big that can do it as well.

Instead of lineups matched more for size and defense, more of an offensive skills match with less regard to size. The traditional C hasn't disappeared, at least for their traditional defensive stopper and rebounder role, which is still badly needed with small ball. The PF and SF roles, however, have evolved quite a bit with more emphasis on small player skills, and players want to be though of as having those skills in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Paige/ Muhl
Westbrook/ Anna
Williams/Edwards
Griffin/Mir
Liv/Piath

I don't think Edwards has much of a shot at all to be a SF at UCONN other than blowouts, and nearly none if UCONN gets Fudd. College ball is different. I see Edwards as more "Morgan Tuck-like."

Reaction Score
A roster of 10 is good and it is no good. On the good side, there are going to be opportunities for the young people to get plenty of playing time if Geno deems that they are worth it. However, 10 may not be very good if the are serious injuries.

I am really glad to see Jamelle listed as coach. She has the kind of fire, that motivates the right kind of aggression in these young players.

Reaction Score
I don't think Edwards has much of a shot at all to be a SF at UCONN other than blowouts, and nearly none if UCONN gets Fudd. College ball is different. I see Edwards as more "Morgan Tuck-like."
However, Edwards is 0.0147 Hartley units taller! ; )
Hopefully, Edwards will stay healthy throughout her entire career at UCONN, WNBA, & Canadian National Team!

Reaction Score
Hello to the Boneyard.

Concerning this roster, will this be the youngest roster/starting 5 of Auriemma's time at UCONN?

Reaction Score
Hello to the Boneyard.

Concerning this roster, will this be the youngest roster/starting 5 of Auriemma's time at UCONN?

Just going off the top of my head, maybe the 2003 roster is younger. That team also had no seniors and 2 juniors. Although Battle and Moore were red shirts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom