2019 Wish Lists & Reasoning | The Boneyard

2019 Wish Lists & Reasoning

Reaction Score
With 2018 somewhat in the books and many of our primary 2019 recruits identified, who would you see as the best mix of commits or the most likely mix. Right now we would have 4 open spots for 2019 absent recruiting over somebody. My own preference would be to not have more than 1 player that sees himself as leaving after 1 yr.

I would want 1 strength post player from among Cockburn, Tre Mitchell, or Charles Coleman (who it doesn't seem we are pursuing). I see Kofi Cockburn as a real difference maker because his low post scoring would really open up the court for penetrating guards. I would hope to get 2 years from him and would lower my interest if he perceives himself as 1 & done. Tre Mitchell seems like a good post player who also has the advantage that we could build around for more years than Cockburn. I liked video of Coleman but I sense people who have seen him are not as impressed in person. Mariel I sensed we have missed on, but he would be my second choice. The game he played on TV a year or two ago was awesome.

I would want 2 guards from amongst Lecque, Mulcahy, Quinones, and Bouknight, And I don't really have a preference which 2, because each has some real different strong points.

I haven't heard us mentioned as much with Lester Quinones but I would covet him as a 3 pt marksman and really really would want him. Without stats to back me up, I don't think any of the other players match him as a spot up shooter. His shooting might get him to the league early, but he seemed to have average athleticism, (think Steve Kerr).

Lecque is a 1 year difference maker at guard with Diallo type athleticism. At this point with 5 guards plus Sid Wilson, I would rather have Lecque in 2019 playing with other freshman talent that might get us farther in the tournament, (which we will make). He is listed as a point guard but after watching video, it seems to me he is listed that way because he has the ball a lot. He doesn't seem to be a traditional distributor. He just puts a team on his back and is a highlight reel that puts excited people in the stands.

Mulcahy would be good because he is likely a 4 year excellent big guard that distributes. Seems to me very much the Nova type player.

Bouknight I really liked on video because he seems very athletic, has size, scores, plays hard, plays defense, and seems a lot like Sid Wilson with a better shot. Also likely to be 3-4 years to build around.

With 1 Center and 2 guards, that only leaves me 1 spot for the great forwards we are involved with such as Achuiwa, Akok, and Delaire. 2 Spots if we whiff on my Centers, in which case I would want Akok + 1.

Achuiwa is a stud forward who could also be 1 and done. I wouldn't sell my soul for both he and Lecque unless, as Hurley, I felt I could replace at least 1 of them in the 2020 class.

Delaire looks to me as a multi year player that may not be an impact freshman but has diversified skills a la Giffey. He seems like a solid program player to me.

Akok is a skinny, get pushed around, rim protector with the ability to hit an outside shot a la Donyell Marshall when he came aboard. I would prioritize him if we don't get Cockburn, (ha).

With cross the fingers optimism: How about Cockburn, Lecque, Quinone, + Akok as my first choice. Substitute Mulcahy for Quinone as the more likely mix. This is a wish list not a prediction.

What's your preference. Add anybody you want that we have a connection to.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the rundown Ricker. I have probably allowed myself to lapse into the realm of casual fandom with virtually all of my opinions of recruits coming from this sight (and I really appreciate your breakdowns). Lacking any independent insight I'll just say that I would be pretty happy if we even got two of the players you listed. That would seem to be a step-up in our recruiting. We certainly could use an outside shooter and an inside presence.

Reaction Score
Let's assume that Alterique gets healthy and delivers on, say, 80% of his promise, that our one open scholarship for this year gets filled with a postgrad, that we lose no transfers out this spring, and that Kwintin stays this year then does a postgrad year elsewhere.

Going into 2019/20, that leaves us with this:

PG: Alterique (RS-Jr), B. Adams (So)
SG: Vital (Sr)
SF: Polley (Jr), Wilson (RS-So)
PF: Whaley (Jr)
C: Carlton (Jr), Diarra (RS-Jr)

I want three guards and two bigs out of the class.

PG: Mulcahy (big PG who can distribute and will be a 4-year player)
CG: Lecque (5-star CG who is likely to stay just one or two years)
SG: Quinones (4-star SG who shoots the lights out – though I don't love his low release)
F: Delaire (big & long 6-foot-9 SF who shoots the lights out but whose upside is limited because of average athleticism; think Cam Johnson at UNC)
C: Cockburn (borderline 5-star; huge, throwback center)

Others in the mix:

PG: Wong (4-star, borderline top 100 who's maybe more of a combo guard than PG)
SG: Bouknight (4-star, athletic SG who's maybe not as productive as he should be at high school & AAU levels but looks the part)
SF: Achiuwa (long, athletic and smooth 5-star SF who will be a one-and-done somewhere)
PF: Akok (bouncy and long but thin 4-star PF who's local)
C: Mitchell (below-the-rim 4-star C who's strong fundamentally; reminds me of Carlton in a lot of ways)

Pretty much any combination from those 10 would be good-to-great. I just really want us to get Delaire because I love having Connecticut kids on the team.

Reaction Score
I think a good and reasonable class would at least consist of Quinones, Delaire and one of Cockburn/Akok. Obviously getting a guy like Achiuwa or lecque would be amazing but with Hurley's connection to St. Benedicts and our need for an outside shooter he should push hard to get Quinones, then Delaire should be very gettable because he is a CT guy, then we have enough connections to NYC to get Cockburn and Akok is also gettable. We get those three guys and maybe throw in one more ball handling guard and that is a very good class.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking in priority order to pursue:

1) Jalen Lecque - he is the game changing guard that a guard oriented team has to have and brings back memories of Kemba and Shabazz. Plus it would be great to steal a player out of Duke and UNC's backyard.

2) Kofi Cockburn - he has size (6-11/248) that we currently don't have and can throw some weight around by the rim. Also, he is a NY boy and that will help establish those local ties that Hurley is talking about.

3) Jaiden Delaire (yes I know I doubted him in the past) - he is a local CT boy and I hate seeing the best players in the state leave. Plus he has more weight to him than our current forwards and he seems to be more athletic then Ollie's guys.

4) Akok Akok - no real reason to put him below Jaiden other than that whole weight factor. I am 6-1 and weight 182 lbs...Akok is 6-8 and weighs 185 lbs...we need to stop recruiting twigs and get some trees. However, he has the talent and the desire with the added benefit of being a CT boy.

5) James Bouknight - this is my "don't land Lecque" pick. Of course there are better guards out there but he is in our backyard (MA), has a lot of upside, and can still bring our game up significantly.

6) Khalif Battle - another guard back-up pick but really a solid player from what I've read about him. If we sign Lecque and/or Bouknight he would drop off my list in favor of the next few guys.

7) Tre Mitchell - sure he is listed as a center at 6-9/245 but if he played PF next to Cockburn, we would have a solid front court. And once again he is a homegrown boy.

8) Paul Mulcahy - I don't know much about him but there is a bunch of hype around him.

9) Tyrese Samuel - The kid can play basketball and he is interested in coming but he is way out in Utah...not sure Hurley will even send him an e-mail....

Of course if any other 4-5 star listens to Hurley's pitch then I'd take them but I am trying to be realistic. I would love to get some love from the following guys (making their final 4/5 teams):

- Precious Achiuwa (#10 national player from Bronx, NY)

- Chol Marial (#11 national player formerly from Chesire, CT)

- Aidan Igiehon (#39 national player from Woodmere, NY)

- Lester Quinones (#67 national player from Huntington Station, NY)

Reaction Score
With 2018 somewhat in the books and many of our primary 2019 recruits identified, who would you see as the best mix of commits or the most likely mix. Right now we would have 4 open spots for 2019 absent recruiting over somebody. My own preference would be to not have more than 1 player that sees himself as leaving after 1 yr.

I would want 1 strength post player from among Cockburn, Tre Mitchell, or Charles Coleman (who it doesn't seem we are pursuing). I see Kofi Cockburn as a real difference maker because his low post scoring would really open up the court for penetrating guards. I would hope to get 2 years from him and would lower my interest if he perceives himself as 1 & done. Tre Mitchell seems like a good post player who also has the advantage that we could build around for more years than Cockburn. I liked video of Coleman but I sense people who have seen him are not as impressed in person. Mariel I sensed we have missed on, but he would be my second choice. The game he played on TV a year or two ago was awesome.

I would want 2 guards from amongst Lecque, Mulcahy, Quinones, and Bouknight, And I don't really have a preference which 2, because each has some real different strong points.

I haven't heard us mentioned as much with Lester Quinones but I would covet him as a 3 pt marksman and really really would want him. Without stats to back me up, I don't think any of the other players match him as a spot up shooter. His shooting might get him to the league early, but he seemed to have average athleticism, (think Steve Kerr).

Lecque is a 1 year difference maker at guard with Diallo type athleticism. At this point with 5 guards plus Sid Wilson, I would rather have Lecque in 2019 playing with other freshman talent that might get us farther in the tournament, (which we will make). He is listed as a point guard but after watching video, it seems to me he is listed that way because he has the ball a lot. He doesn't seem to be a traditional distributor. He just puts a team on his back and is a highlight reel that puts excited people in the stands.

Mulcahy would be good because he is likely a 4 year excellent big guard that distributes. Seems to me very much the Nova type player.

Bouknight I really liked on video because he seems very athletic, has size, scores, plays hard, plays defense, and seems a lot like Sid Wilson with a better shot. Also likely to be 3-4 years to build around.

With 1 Center and 2 guards, that only leaves me 1 spot for the great forwards we are involved with such as Achuiwa, Akok, and Delaire. 2 Spots if we whiff on my Centers, in which case I would want Akok + 1.

Achuiwa is a stud forward who could also be 1 and done. I wouldn't sell my soul for both he and Lecque unless, as Hurley, I felt I could replace at least 1 of them in the 2020 class.

Delaire looks to me as a multi year player that may not be an impact freshman but has diversified skills a la Giffey. He seems like a solid program player to me.

Akok is a skinny, get pushed around, rim protector with the ability to hit an outside shot a la Donyell Marshall when he came aboard. I would prioritize him if we don't get Cockburn, (ha).

With cross the fingers optimism: How about Cockburn, Lecque, Quinone, + Akok as my first choice. Substitute Mulcahy for Quinone as the more likely mix. This is a wish list not a prediction.

What's your preference. Add anybody you want that we have a connection to.

I would love Lecque but yes he may be a one-and-done type guy...AKA sign with UK or Duke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom