2019 UConn Commit - Juan Rosario (Stamford CT) | The Boneyard

2019 UConn Commit - Juan Rosario (Stamford CT)

Reaction Score
Welcome Juan. You had a great mentor in Coach Thomas at St. Lukes. With his son as exhibit A,
I think he knows a thing or two about what makes a great receiver! Can't wait to see you on the field.

Reaction Score

Defensive back Juan Rosario is latest St. Luke’s product to commit to UConn football program

>>Rosario will follow in the footsteps of record-breaking receiver Noel Thomas Jr., starting safety Omar Fortt and reserve offensive lineman Brendan Casey as St. Luke’s products who have decided to suit up for the Huskies.

“He’s been recruited as a defensive back, his natural position,” St. Luke’s coach Noel Thomas Sr. said. “He can play receiver, running back. It is a walk-on opportunity. I think he has the ability to, hopefully in the future, earn a scholarship.<<

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Gonna be a d--k here. I'm not really thrilled about a football player being called a "sweetheart".

Even less impressed that a coach would ever use that phrase to describe a football player.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Gonna be a d--k here. I'm not really thrilled about a football player being called a "sweetheart".

Even less impressed that a coach would ever use that phrase to describe a football player.
Honestly I had the same thought. No disrespect to the kid. Just weird choice of words.

Reaction Score

I prefer pumpkin pie.

Reaction Score

Does it matter that Bob Diaco said it?

Reaction Score
Don't remember if anyone posted something like this, but with couple of instate PWO was wondering what the "cost" to them might be. UConn in state tuition and fees are $15,730 (out of state $38,098). So not as good as free but not like BCU which is $55,478.

Was wondering what NCAA rules were so couldn't just give athletes academic scholarships and be done with it. To keep from the PWO being counted as in scholarship player total the aid must:

"Federal and state financial aid based on need is exempted. Academic scholarships for freshman may be exempted if the students meets one of the following conditions depending on the division:

Division 1

• Top 10% of the high school graduating class
  • Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
  • Score 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105

The schools also have to certify that athletic information was not required as part the application process although students may voluntarily list athletic achievements."

So seems like with the above lot of instate kids could put together some good financial packages that cover most or all of costs (especially 1st year) if either have financial need or good student.

Hopefully this is good economic deal each year for some good potential in state kids who for whatever reason aren't ready to grab a freshman scholarship but have some good potential (and want a chance to show).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't remember if anyone posted something like this, but with couple of instate PWO was wondering what the "cost" to them might be. UConn in state tuition and fees are $15,730 (out of state $38,098). So not as good as free but not like BCU which is $55,478.

Was wondering what NCAA rules were so couldn't just give athletes academic scholarships and be done with it. To keep from the PWO being counted as in scholarship player total the aid must:

"Federal and state financial aid based on need is exempted. Academic scholarships for freshman may be exempted if the students meets one of the following conditions depending on the division:

Division 1

• Top 10% of the high school graduating class
  • Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
  • Score 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105

The schools also have to certify that athletic information was not required as part the application process although students may voluntarily list athletic achievements."

So seems like with the above lot of instate kids could put together some good financial packages that cover most or all of costs (especially 1st year) if either have financial need or good student.

Hopefully this is good economic deal each year for some good potential in state kids who for whatever reason aren't ready to grab a freshman scholarship but have some good potential (and want a chance to show).

Thanks to Bob Diaco for inventing the Preferred Walk-On... but who was the last one who contributed?

The great student mediocre football player gambit isn’t going to move the needle.

Get good coaches, get good players, coach them well = winning.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thanks to Bob Diaco for inventing the Preferred Walk-On... but who was the last one who contributed?

The great student mediocre football player gambit isn’t going to move the needle.

Get good coaches, get good players, coach them well = winning.
It’s been a while since UConn has had an effective WO. Donald Thomas is the last big name I can remember. Mason Donaldson at WR would be a more recent player. That said, I think you can run a better practice and be more comfortable scrimmaging with the right WOs to help out. Plus other programs seem to have some limited success at this game- so we ought to be trying too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It’s been a while since UConn has had an effective WO. Donald Thomas is the last big name I can remember. Mason Donaldson at WR would be a more recent player. That said, I think you can run a better practice and be more comfortable scrimmaging with the right WOs to help out. Plus other programs seem to have some limited success at this game- so we ought to be trying too.

I don’t know if Donaldson was a PWO, but he did have a great performance in a ridiculous loss.

Thomas was recruited by football players.

Good info.

Reaction Score

This will forever make no sense to me. Let's take two students who could potentially live 5 miles apart. One in state, one out of state. They both choose to live on campus. Why would this matter to the tune of nearly $24,000.?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom