2019 UConn Commit - Darrin (DJ) Smith (Frisco Texas) - Decommitted 6/17/18 | The Boneyard

2019 UConn Commit - Darrin (DJ) Smith (Frisco Texas) - Decommitted 6/17/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Darrin (DJ) Smith is a 5-9 185lb RB/APB from Lone Star High School in Frisco Texas.

Other offers besides UConn are from Air Force, Abilene Christian, Ark State, Colorado, FAU, Hawaii, Howard, Illinois State, Miami (Ohio), Nebraska, New Mexico, New Mexico State, San Diego State, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Tulane, Toledo and ULM.

Highlights

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Is it just me or does the way this article is worded make it seem DJ is coming in this season?

"Smith’s announcement also brings depth to a position that saw four-year starter Arkeel Newsome graduate. As sophomores Nate Hopkins, a fellow Texan, and Kevin Mensah blossom and continue to grow, not to mention the newly shifted Zavier Scott to the position, Smith will be an addition that will challenge the group, along with incoming Capital Prep standout Khyon Gillespie"

Darrin Smith, Talented Texas Running Back, Commits to UConn | This is UConn Country

Reaction Score
Commentary about Darrin Smith from Under Armour Camp in Texas back @ the beginning of April:

>>Frisco Lonestar running back Darrin Smith was definitely one of the quickest running backs in attendance. The speedy back proved that he can catch the football on the day as he won plenty of 1-on-1 battles against linebackers and safeties. Smith has a very quick burst and seems to get to his top speed in just a few steps. Although he isn’t the biggest of backs, he could be lethal in a spread offense that utilizes backs in the running and passing game.<<<

Reaction Score
Rivals Texas: Darrin Smith looking to make history with UConn commitment

>>“I just talked with the offensive coordinator and everyone’s really excited,” he said. “He basically told me that I am going to go out there and play right off-the-bat because they really need offensive weapons. He said that they’re going to play me everywhere like I did this past year - play a lot of running back but be able to change to a different spot and be a guy that can spread the field.”<<

>>Smith admitted that he would take a look at other programs that could potentially offer him a similar situation to what he feels awaits him at UConn, but for now, he said that he’s ‘locked-in’ and excited for his future there. As far as he’s concerned, he’s serious about being the face of a program that is looking to find its way back to formidability.

“I want put my name up there and get everything going,” he said. “I want to do something different than what everyone else is doing because everyone thought I was going to commit to TCU and stay close to home, but with this I can change the game and bring something new.”<<

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
He reminds me of Terry Caulley with his quickness and better than average that he shows when taking on a tackler.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think the potential is very high with DJ Smith. He has a quick step through traffic, good vision, ideal frame/ size, good hands and looks like he can make blocks. He also displays what looks like a high football IQ the way he puts himself in position on pass plays.

This maybe Edsal 2.0 best get to date.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Aside from his burst, this is what stood out time in his tape.
Absolutely. Those blocks must have jumped off the screen to the staff that this was a coachable kid that is going to do the other things that get the job done. A details, max effort and athletic kid in one.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg