West Virginia at Mississippi State
Florida at Kansas
Texas at Tennessee

SEC teams not playing this time
Kentucky
Mizzou
S. Carolina
Vandy
How do they decide the pairings? I would imagine Baylor is going to stomp Georgia.

Reaction Score
How do they decide the pairings? I would imagine Baylor is going to stomp Georgia.
I think it’s pretty random but I’m not seeing any info on how they do it. I wouldn’t be shocked if it was tweaked from random for TV, but clearly not based on rankings or conference standings from the previous season. Past results at wikipedia:

The first two years it only involved old SWC rivals + OU: A&M, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
the battle of the UT's and the WVU-MissState matchups are the only two matchups are the only intriguing ones I see at the moment.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Overall not a great slate of games. Baylor-Mississippi State would have been fantastic. Instead we get games that range from only mildly interesting to complete snoozers.

My picks in bold, commentary in italics.

Wednesday, December 4
Georgia at Baylor. "Some Bulldogs will be harmed in the making of this film."
Ole Miss at Texas Tech.

Thursday, December 5
Iowa State at Alabama. I don't think Iowa State will be very good next year, but I do think they'll still be better than Bama. (How does Kristy Curry still have a a job?)

Saturday, December 7
LSU at Oklahoma. Both teams should be better than last year (not that Oklahoma could be much worse).
Auburn at TCU. This one's kind of a toss-up. I think TCU loses more to graduation, so I'll go with Auburn for now.
Kansas State at Arkansas. Razorbacks should have the edge playing at home.
Oklahoma State at Texas A&M. This should be a blowout.

Sunday, December 8
West Virginia at Mississippi State. Another intriguing game. Both teams have question marks.
Florida at Kansas. Yikes.
Texas at Tennessee. The two-year anniversary of the game that first raised very grave questions about what the heck is going on at Texas.

Total tally: SEC 6, B12 4.

Reaction Score
They dropped the ball on a lot of these matchups.... Baylor vs Georgia?? They should’ve matched them up with A&M or Miss St for a premier matchup at least.
Tenn plays Texas every year so why is that a matchup? I could’ve easily seen Texas v Kentucky or Arkansas and Tenn versus Iowa St or TCU. I just don’t think the matchups will be fun to watch except WVU vs Miss St...

Plebe

Reaction Score
They dropped the ball on a lot of these matchups.... Baylor vs Georgia?? They should’ve matched them up with A&M or Miss St for a premier matchup at least.
Tenn plays Texas every year so why is that a matchup? I could’ve easily seen Texas v Kentucky or Arkansas and Tenn versus Iowa St or TCU. I just don’t think the matchups will be fun to watch except WVU vs Miss St...
I can't help but think that the conference office(s) caved to influence from coaches in some of these matchups. Otherwise the Baylor-Georgia game makes no sense at all.

The only other possibility I can think of is that it was each of Baylor's, A&M's, and MSU's turn to host, so Baylor couldn't play either of them?

Reaction Score
I can't help but think that the conference office(s) caved to influence from coaches in some of these matchups. Otherwise the Baylor-Georgia game makes no sense at all.

The only other possibility I can think of is that it was each of Baylor's, A&M's, and MSU's turn to host, so Baylor couldn't play either of them?

Seems A&M and Miss St hosts every year other than Miss St going to Texas last year. They also seem to be the teams that play in the challenge every year. I wonder how the selection process goes into picking these teams and the matchups?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Seems A&M and Miss St hosts every year other than Miss St going to Texas last year. They also seem to be the teams that play in the challenge every year. I wonder how the selection process goes into picking these teams and the matchups?
You can't really tell from these matchups, but in previous years I've been convinced they try to match up teams of like competitive ability. But part of the problem is that the Big 12 has become just so uncompetitive in general. There's Baylor, and then Texas in a *very* distant second, and then everyone else.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
huh? We’ve only played in 3/6 of these so far and only once at home. The first two years were “neutral” sites and we played Texas in Little Rock and Oklahoma in Oklahoma City. MSU has played 2x on the road and 1x at home.

A&M and Miss State both host in 2019 but it will only be the second time for each.

Reaction Score
You can't really tell from these matchups, but in previous years I've been convinced they try to match up teams of like competitive ability. But part of the problem is that the Big 12 has become just so uncompetitive in general. There's Baylor, and then Texas in a *very* distant second, and then everyone else.
I agree with this. My understanding of the challenge is that it is supposed to match up comparable teams for an event that is going to be intriguing matchups for ratings. I don’t understand how they are going to even market this slate of games. Baylor versus Mississippi State would have been at least an anchor game that even a casual women’s college basketball would have recognized. However anytime you have these pre-planned conference challenges (both men and women) there are going to be years when it is going to feel forced.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Tennessee plays Texas every year regardless. Matching the LVs up with Baylor would've made sense, but Tennessee actually schedules a non-conference schedule worth following so I can understand why they wouldn't want to load it up with both of the likely #1 and #2 teams in the Big 12.

Miss State or A&M (both are teams that could be anywhere from preseason #1 to #4 in the SEC) probably should've been matched up with the other top team that Tennessee didn't play. I actually don't think the WVU matchup is that bad for State (they will be a top 4 team in the Big 12 I think, which isn't saying a lot) but still, a matchup versus Texas or Baylor is much more comparable talent-wise. Ball dropped there.

They are really avoiding having A&M playing Texas and Baylor. The Aggies will be a top 3 team in the league next season.. why in the heck are they playing OK State? It's a terrible matchup. Slaughterhouse.

Baylor vs. Georgia will be an early season demolition.

I do think SC and Kentucky rotating off the schedule presented a challenge for scheduling top teams. I can almost guarantee you that SC would've been playing either Texas or Baylor had we been in this challenge. The only matchups I'm planning to watch are Texas/Tennessee (just to see how improved Tennessee is) and MSU/WVU (just because I think this game will be closer than expected).

Reaction Score
Tennessee plays Texas every year regardless. Matching the LVs up with Baylor would've made sense, but Tennessee actually schedules a non-conference schedule worth following so I can understand why they wouldn't want to load it up with both of the likely #1 and #2 teams in the Big 12.

Miss State or A&M (both are teams that could be anywhere from preseason #1 to #4 in the SEC) probably should've been matched up with the other top team that Tennessee didn't play. I actually don't think the WVU matchup is that bad for State (they will be a top 4 team in the Big 12 I think, which isn't saying a lot) but still, a matchup versus Texas or Baylor is much more comparable talent-wise. Ball dropped there.

They are really avoiding having A&M playing Texas and Baylor. The Aggies will be a top 3 team in the league next season.. why in the heck are they playing OK State? It's a terrible matchup. Slaughterhouse.

Baylor vs. Georgia will be an early season demolition.

I do think SC and Kentucky rotating off the schedule presented a challenge for scheduling top teams. I can almost guarantee you that SC would've been playing either Texas or Baylor had we been in this challenge. The only matchups I'm planning to watch are Texas/Tennessee (just to see how improved Tennessee is) and MSU/WVU (just because I think this game will be closer than expected).
Wonder if the ADs have a veto on the schedules. There were some hard feelings in Waco and Austin when we moved to the SEC. Aggies put this sign up in Waco after a lawsuit threat from the Bears.

Reaction Score
Wonder if the ADs have a veto on the schedules. There were some hard feelings in Waco and Austin when we moved to the SEC. Aggies put this sign up in Waco after a lawsuit threat from the Bears.

I would definitely like to see both in the Dallas regional this year! Aggies vs the Bears, Mulkey vs Blair, Carter vs Cox..... it really doesn’t get any better than that!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom