2019 AAC Football Media Days - July 15th/16th in Newport RI | The Boneyard

2019 AAC Football Media Days - July 15th/16th in Newport RI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
have to imagine this will be the last trip to newport for the motley crew operating under an AAC banner

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
have to imagine this will be the last trip to newport for the motley crew operating under an AAC banner
Have to imagine there's no reason to be in Newport at all anymore for the AAC. Not that UConn was what held them here. Why keep the old BE offices and Media grounds when the conference, outside Temple and Cincy, is in the South. Move it somewhere down there.

I always thought it was weird that they kept it in Newport like to old BE did. Now there's zero reason to do it seeing how they have lost their major school in the north

Reaction Score
Aren’t they moving the headquarters to Dallas next year or the year after?

Lease ends next summer (2020)...

Up until the recent events... they planned on keeping the event in Newport after the move to Dallas.

>>Aresco said the American still plans to leave marks up north with its media days and signature clambake scheduled to stay in Newport, R.I., and the women's basketball conference tournament continuing at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., to draw ardent support from UConn's popularity.<<

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The lobster fest will continue on in Newport, even though the conference HQ is moving to Dallas, because everybody in the conference loves it, and far more importantly, the media all love it. This is the one crowning achievement of Aresco's tenure as AAC commissioner.

I suppose they could move it to Dallas, which is fairly convenient travelling distance for a few other schools. The drawback is anybody who has spent any appreciable time living or working, as I have, in DFW during the summer, will tell you that Dallas is excruciatingly hot and unbearably humid. I'm kinda glad Aresco's going there for good. Miserable in summer and occasionally below freezing cold with ice and snow in the winter. Have fun, Mike!

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The lobster fest will continue on in Newport, even though the conference HQ is moving to Dallas, because everybody in the conference loves it, and far more importantly, the media all love it. This is the one crowning achievement of Aresco's tenure as AAC commissioner.

The fact he didn’t leave Newport for media days? Wow. What a visionary.

Remember when people like Palatine used to moan about Newport because NYC is where the media is. As if anyone important spends a second in Manhattan in July.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
The fact he didn’t leave Newport for media days? Wow. What a visionary.

Remember when people like Palatine used to moan about Newport because NYC is where the media is. As if anyone important spends a second in Manhattan in July.

I'm sure you picked up on my over the top sarcasm, and I agree that NYC can at times be as brutal as, let's say Dallas, in July and August.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sure you picked up on my over the top sarcasm, and I agree that NYC can at times be as brutal as, let's say Dallas, in July and August.

It actually doesn’t read sarcastic - although I know you get it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Lease ends next summer (2020)...

Up until the recent events... they planned on keeping the event in Newport after the move to Dallas.

>>Aresco said the American still plans to leave marks up north with its media days and signature clambake scheduled to stay in Newport, R.I., and the women's basketball conference tournament continuing at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn., to draw ardent support from UConn's popularity.<<
So do they plan on keeping it at Mohegan after this upcoming season?? Can't imagine they'll sell any tickets and most likely, the Big East would like to use the arena.

Recall the tournament being held at Gampel or Rutgers during BE days. Not sure where the Women's tourney is held now.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It would be friggin hilarious if on Friday Aug 30th at 5pm the AAC issued a press release stating a deal has been made to keep UConn football. I don’t want to stay unless we get 4M per annum and no production cost non sense. Even then, do we want to stay because I hate the 12 year contract.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Granted, NLI day is not for another 5 months, but UConn has 8 verbals for 2020 at the moment. They have to be comfortable with what Edsall is selling. My guess is Basketball leaves for 20/21, but football stays. All of UConn's opponents need another opponent too and under the same short notice.

Reaction Score
It would be friggin hilarious if on Friday Aug 30th at 5pm the AAC issued a press release stating a deal has been made to keep UConn football. I don’t want to stay unless we get 4M per annum and no production cost non sense. Even then, do we want to stay because I hate the 12 year contract.

When fans comment on what TV terms they'd accept, you know fandom has jumped the shark.

The new big east is on a 12 year deal.

I know this will be an unpopular hot take but UConn's exit will help the AAC achieve certain benchmarks, and I think they are giddy over the prospects of a smaller 11-team league.

UConn's drag on various conference metrics, such as Massey and RPI, was counterproductive to the leagues goals.

Mike Aresco has wanted to scrap divisions for awhile to tighten the conference's grasp on New Years day and an 11-team formation has given that to him.

Even though it was down, Basketball was UConn's contribution that allowed for the teams that produce in FB to accept a super-struggling team.

I think if DB feels he can get 4 million for it, from some entity, he should take it. Without stopping to holla at Father Carmine and Val Anchorman.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When fans comment on what TV terms they'd accept, you know fandom has jumped the shark.

I know this will be an unpopular hot take but UConn's exit will help the AAC achieve certain benchmarks, and I think they are giddy over the prospects of a smaller 11-team league.

UConn's drag on various conference metrics, such as Massey and RPI, was counterproductive to the leagues goals.

Mike Aresco has wanted to scrap divisions for awhile to tighten the conference's grasp on New Years day and an 11-team formation has given that to him.

Even though it was down, Basketball was UConn's contribution that allowed for the teams that produce in FB to accept a super-struggling team.

I think if DB feels he can get 4 million for it, from some entity, he should take it. Without stopping to holla at Father Carmine and Val Anchorman.

#freejimmy

Reaction Score

If you could do Math, you’d gather that UConn is going to make more money leaving the AAC than your University.

That our move to the BIG EAST is universally lauded by the folks that matter to us - Basketball writers. The Fanbase is energized. The best you can do is whine about some Catholic Church subconscious anger you were taught.

We will have poorer November football schedules & our baseball won’t be as challenged. But the UConn AD will have more National Championships. And Fans we wouldn’t have playing y’all.

POSTSCRIPT- the Big East is 5 years in on a 10 year deal that will be RE-negotiated with UConn’s inclusion. We will be on TV in New York City not bumfrick Tennessee

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Steve what you keep missing is that UConn will come out ahead either way. Football either stays for a certain min price tag or we leave or achieve the same or better on our own. We win either way. Either path is fine. The only question is the dividing line on that value of leaving football in the AAC. If you have 7m fake annual dollars to give out for all sports, what do you give for football only.

Also, if we are such a *y program, why do you hang here? Doesn't Memphis have a fan site?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

right, because nobody in pro sports talks about salary differences (evil empire, anyone)? Salary caps just appeared out of thin air, too.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
So do they plan on keeping it at Mohegan after this upcoming season?? Can't imagine they'll sell any tickets and most likely, the Big East would like to use the arena.

Recall the tournament being held at Gampel or Rutgers during BE days. Not sure where the Women's tourney is held now.

I think the NBE has been holding their women's tourney at DePaul. They have a beautiful, brand new arena that seats almost exactly what Gampel does.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Mohican Sun is pretty much a perfect location for a woman's BB tourney. The arena is the right size.; there are plenty of close hotel rooms for teams and fans, and a lot of places to eat. I'd be surprised if the NBE doesn't put it into the rotation.

UConnNick

Reaction Score

I think the chances of FB staying in the AAC are slim and none. Even if the slim chance presents itself, I think they'll absolutely try to reem us financially, if it's only for one year. If it's multiple years, who knows?

What I'm really worried about is the six year period where we'd owe $30m if we leave the NBE? Where does that time period come from? When does it begin and end? Is it based on the assumed timetable for another round of CR? Why not make it 10 years?

The NBE knows we're out the door no matter what, the moment we hang up from the P5 phone call. The buyout could be $50m and we wouldn't care. That's why the six year term bothers me. The parties may have some unwritten, under the table side agreement. What if we have six years left of FBS and then we have to drop the sport or drop down to FCS?

As recently as two years ago, Val Ackerman wasn't real interested in us and specifically said we'd have to definitely "do something with football." I think her message was pretty clear...either drop down to FCS or kill the program. She has either changed her mind or something else is in the works

Does the NBE need more cash and this is the only way they can prop up their finances? Has that kind of made them a little desperate for a big BB name and they're now more lenient with their "no FBS football" terms? Maybe she thinks the six years ends CR and we're staying in the NBE for good?

Lots of moving parts to ponder here.

Reaction Score
I think the chances of FB staying in the AAC are slim and none. Even if the slim chance presents itself, I think they'll absolutely try to reem us financially, if it's only for one year. If it's multiple years, who knows?

What I'm really worried about is the six year period where we'd owe $30m if we leave the NBE? Where does that time period come from? When does it begin and end? Is it based on the assumed timetable for another round of CR? Why not make it 10 years?

The NBE knows we're out the door no matter what, the moment we hang up from the P5 phone call. The buyout could be $50m and we wouldn't care. That's why the six year term bothers me. The parties may have some unwritten, under the table side agreement. What if we have six years left of FBS and then we have to drop the sport or drop down to FCS?

As recently as two years ago, Val Ackerman wasn't real interested in us and specifically said we'd have to definitely "do something with football." I think her message was pretty clear...either drop down to FCS or kill the program. She has either changed her mind or something else is in the works

Does the NBE need more cash and this is the only way they can prop up their finances? Has that kind of made them a little desperate for a big BB name and they're now more lenient with their "no FBS football" terms? Maybe she thinks the six years ends CR and we're staying in the NBE for good?

Lots of moving parts to ponder here.

Lots of bad takes here.

Reaction Score
As recently as two years ago, Val Ackerman wasn't real interested in us and specifically said we'd have to definitely "do something with football." I think her message was pretty clear...either drop down to FCS or kill the program. She has either changed her mind or something else is in the works.

No minds have been changed. UConn as much as stranded its football team on a desert island with no food, no water, no communication, and no transportation. There is only one way this ends, and it isn't the BYU solution. I suspect the NBE is quite satisfied with UConn football being an independent.

Reaction Score
No minds have been changed. UConn as much as stranded its football team on a desert island with no food, no water, no communication, and no transportation. There is only one way this ends, and it isn't the BYU solution. I suspect the NBE is quite satisfied with UConn football being an independent.

Shrug

While not my first opinion ... I think we are going to be fine. The money - quite frankly - will be better with the NBE. I’m certain of that. Our Fanbase & our Brand will come back strong.

Adios Long Texas trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall