Updated - 2018 UConn Transfer Courtel Jenkins - New Jersey (transfer from Univ. of Miami) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Updated - 2018 UConn Transfer Courtel Jenkins - New Jersey (transfer from Univ. of Miami)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand the having to sit a year out if one transfers. I'm wondering if Courtel Jenkins automatically gets or can petition for an exemption to play immediately as media articles clearly state the Miami dismissed him from the football team.

Reaction Score
Dismissed for "breaking team rules".....

It depends, it looks like...on why dismissed. If dismissed for poor performance, there is precedent to not have to sit out the transfer year....if dismissed for "cause"...maybe not.

"Dorial Green-Beckham: The former OU wide receiver applied for a hardship waiver similar to Hickey’s after Green-Beckham was dismissed from the Missouri football team following allegations of domestic abuse. However, his request was denied.

Anthony Hickey: The senior OSU point guard spent three seasons at LSU before not being invited back on the team his senior season. Hickey applied and was granted hardship waiver known as the “run-off rule” that granted immediate eligibility because he was in good academic standing and was forced out by his former school.

Reaction Score
RULE...

In September 2012, the NCAA Division I Subcommittee for Legislative Relief adopted guidelines for waivers based on an assertion that the student-athlete was “run off” by their previous institution. The NCAA staff is directed to grant relief in cases where an athlete is ineligible for the one-time transfer exception due to playing a sport which does not have the exception or because it is their second (or more) transfer between four-year schools. The institution filing the waiver on behalf of the student-athlete has to include the following documentation:

1. Documentation demonstrating that the student-athlete would not have had the opportunity to return to the previous institution’s team for reasons outside the control of the student-athlete.
  2. A written statement from the applicant institution that the student-athlete is in good academic standing and meets all progress-toward-degree requirements at applicant institution.
  3. A written statement from the student-athlete’s previous institution indicating that the previous institution supports the request.

my note...the hinge, I would think, is whether the dismissal for breaking team rules is or is not deemed by the committee as being "outside the control of the athlete".

Reaction Score
RULE...

In September 2012, the NCAA Division I Subcommittee for Legislative Relief adopted guidelines for waivers based on an assertion that the student-athlete was “run off” by their previous institution. The NCAA staff is directed to grant relief in cases where an athlete is ineligible for the one-time transfer exception due to playing a sport which does not have the exception or because it is their second (or more) transfer between four-year schools. The institution filing the waiver on behalf of the student-athlete has to include the following documentation:

1. Documentation demonstrating that the student-athlete would not have had the opportunity to return to the previous institution’s team for reasons outside the control of the student-athlete.
  2. A written statement from the applicant institution that the student-athlete is in good academic standing and meets all progress-toward-degree requirements at applicant institution.
  3. A written statement from the student-athlete’s previous institution indicating that the previous institution supports the request.

I'm not so sure. You seemed to have left this out:

>>Kelly Brooks, a director of academic and membership affairs with the NCAA who oversees the legislative relief staff gave some background on these waivers. This waiver is designed for athletes who have not been kicked off the team for academic or disciplinary reasons. That would be within the control of the student-athlete. Athletic performance is not considered within the athlete’s control, whether the team is oversigned, the athlete was “recruited over”, or the coach mis-evaluated the athlete and they do not meet the standards of the program.<,

Reaction Score
You seemed to have left this out:

>>Kelly Brooks, a director of academic and membership affairs with the NCAA who oversees the legislative relief staff gave some background on these waivers. This waiver is designed for athletes who have not been kicked off the team for academic or disciplinary reasons. That would be within the control of the student-athlete. Athletic performance is not considered within the athlete’s control, whether the team is oversigned, the athlete was “recruited over”, or the coach mis-evaluated the athlete and they do not meet the standards of the program.<<

I was typing as you posted....see above clarification

Reaction Score
RULE...

my note...the hinge, I would think, is whether the dismissal for breaking team rules may not be deemed by the committee as being "outside the control of the athlete".

Thanks for the clarification. Hope all works out in the lad's best interest (& UConn's, of course!)

Reaction Score
I, as I stated, think that the dismissal for breaking team rules will be the hinge on which the request for the waiver will hinge...will it be deemed to be outside the control of the athlete?

Reaction Score
And that will depend largely on Miami's information that they provide the Committee...if a waiver is requested by UConn.

Reaction Score
He enrolled in the summer of 2014, so he should be either a RS Jr or a true Sr, right? Academically, he would be Freshman 2014-2015, Sophomore 2015-2016, Junior 2016-2017, Senior 2017-2018.

I think he'll sit his transfer year this year, and play next year.

Reaction Score
He passes the eye test (#92).

kamalu-jenkins-heurtelou-defensive-line-miami-hurricanes-1000.jpg

Reaction Score
Appears Jenkins has changed his mind regarding his destination...

Reaction Score
OT but whatever happened to the guy that was supposedly transferring here from Kent State?

Reaction Score
As far as Jenkins, the guy looks 350lb+ doubt he could rush the passer much. I'm confident we'll be able to bring in guys who can stop the run that's never been an issue. We need a big man that can scoot a little.

Reaction Score
Just looked it up, guess he went to Texas Southern.

Yeah, originally a JUCO. ... Didn't ring a bell @ all all. I went looking and checked "search" and can't find him mentioned here...

Reaction Score
As far as Jenkins, the guy looks 350lb+ doubt he could rush the passer much. I'm confident we'll be able to bring in guys who can stop the run that's never been an issue. We need a big man that can scoot a little.
If that ain't the most hater-aid comment in awhile on this board, I'm Ray Charles driving down I95 South in Bridgeport in the middle of rush hour traffic at 7 in the morning. Reality, he was in The U"s DL rotation before he messed up... What makes you think he couldn't have been a dominant force up front for us????? Bought that's a woulda coulda shoulda comment now... and that too sucks that it had to be a woulda shoulda coulda comment....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom