2018 CONCACAF World Cup qualifying | The Boneyard

2018 CONCACAF World Cup qualifying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the US team that showed up last night shows up every night, they easily finish top 3 in the Hex and move onto Russia. That's been their problem though, showing up consistently game in and game out. Braldley was sharp, Cameron looked great, solid play all around really. There appeared to be an urgency and energy that's been lacking, now it needs to show up in matches where their back isn't against the wall. A win at SV&G on Sept 2 should clinch their place in the Hex (I'm assuming T&T will defend their home soil and beat Guatemala). Bradley's yellow card was silly, and now he will have to sit. Glad to see Pulisic get capped and officially become USMNT property (sorry Croatia, it was an extremely long shot for you to get him anyways).

T&T have all but secured their place, but does put some pressure on them to win or draw against Guatemala, as they won't want to play in the US in a must win/draw situation to advance.

Looks like it comes down to Canada, Honduras, and outside shot of El Salvador to advance with Mexico. Go Canada... anything to avoid playing in Honduras. Big match for the Canucks visiting Honduras on 9/2. A draw there and they're in great position. tough place for them to go get a point though.

Tico's are on to the Hex, and either Panama or Jamaica will come along. Their game on 9/2 in Panama will determine who advances.

If had to guess today, I'd say it will be US, T&T, Mexico, Honduras, CR, and Panama. The only surprise, from before this round began is maybe Panama over Jamaica, but that was a toss up.

IMO, the Hex and CONMEBOL are the two most competitive final competitions for teams to get thru in the world. No coincidence they're also the only two who pool all their teams in round robin to determine who advances. UEFA, AFC, CAF all split into groups and push a few winners from each group through (I don't count OFC, well, because it's New Zealand and nobody else).

Reaction Score
IMO, the Hex and CONMEBOL are the two most competitive final competitions for teams to get thru in the world. No coincidence they're also the only two who pool all their teams in round robin to determine who advances. UEFA, AFC, CAF all split into groups and push a few winners from each group through (I don't count OFC, well, because it's New Zealand and nobody else).

Good review and spot-on with the USMNT needing to consistently play well with energy. They may be barely able to get away without doing so in this round; but, if they lay eggs in the Hex, they are done. As for the Hex itself, the Europeans always complain that too many teams from the Americas, especially North America, get into the Cup as the area lacks skill. They maybe partially correct; but, I would rather play in Munich against Germany or Wembley against England a 100 times than deal with the hell (sometimes weather driven) that the teams and fans (and local administrators who allow this stuff to happen) put the USMNT through in Mexico City, San Jose, Kingston Panama City, etc.

Reaction Score
Great analysis. CONCACAF qualifying is really a catch 22. If you're the US/MEX/CR you are expected to qualify each cycle and they really should. But you get crucified when you hit one or two speed bumps. UEFA can be difficult depending on the luck of the draw. You can be a group with France, Netherlands, Sweden where one is definitely out...or you can draw a group like Portugal, Switzerland, Hungary - or England, Slovakia, Scotland. It really all depends.

Off topic, but I think in the next few WC cycles we will see an expanded WC. I'm curious to see how the Euros turn out this year with their expansion. Personally, I am all for more games and seeing new countries involved. Can't wait to see Wales, Iceland, Albania, N.Ireland, this summer. If the WC expanded by 8 to 40, I don't think it would necessarily make CONCACAF qualifying any easier. If anything, the race to qualify for the Hex would be even more intense.

Reaction Score
Yedlin is learning how to play the game. A lot can happen between now and 2018 -- but a back line of him, Cameron, Brooks and an emerging left back could be formidable. Add Miazga to that group and it's starting to come together

Reaction Score
Great analysis. CONCACAF qualifying is really a catch 22. If you're the US/MEX/CR you are expected to qualify each cycle and they really should. But you get crucified when you hit one or two speed bumps. UEFA can be difficult depending on the luck of the draw. You can be a group with France, Netherlands, Sweden where one is definitely out...or you can draw a group like Portugal, Switzerland, Hungary - or England, Slovakia, Scotland. It really all depends.

Off topic, but I think in the next few WC cycles we will see an expanded WC. I'm curious to see how the Euros turn out this year with their expansion. Personally, I am all for more games and seeing new countries involved. Can't wait to see Wales, Iceland, Albania, N.Ireland, this summer. If the WC expanded by 8 to 40, I don't think it would necessarily make CONCACAF qualifying any easier. If anything, the race to qualify for the Hex would be even more intense.

The World Cup expanding to 40 teams I think is a given considering that the platform that Gianni Infantino ran for FIFA President included such.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...-finals-expansion-plans-gianni-infantino-fifa

Reaction Score
Yedlin is learning how to play the game. A lot can happen between now and 2018 -- but a back line of him, Cameron, Brooks and an emerging left back could be formidable. Add Miazga to that group and it's starting to come together

What about Fabian Johnson? Play him in the Midfield, which is where he plays club, versus on the backline, where he sees the most time on the USMNT. Also, in last night's game, there was talk that due to the US's potentially crowded center back pool, which I won't believe until the name Ventura Alvarado is never heard from again, that Cameron could take-over the CDM role from Beckerman, who is 33 now and will be 35 in the 2018 Cup. Thoughts?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What about Fabian Johnson? Play him in the Midfield, which is where he plays club, versus on the backline, where he sees the most time on the USMNT. Also, in last night's game, there was talk that due to the US's potentially crowded center back pool, which I won't believe until the name Ventura Alvarado is never heard from again, that Cameron could take-over the CDM role from Beckerman, who is 33 now and will be 35 in the 2018 Cup. Thoughts?

Need a left back first, but that is the ideal. None of the young pool impresses as a possible LW in any alignment. Zardes is trending down imo. We'll need a RQ too, but that is an easier fill.

Reaction Score
Would love to see Fabian at left half, but he's stuck at left back until we have someone else who is competent to play that position, and I haven't seen that person yet.

I do think Cameron is a potential long term answer to replace Beckerman, but I don't see that happening before this summer's tournament. Other answers to playing behind Bradley include Jermain Jones, if he'd just stay there as he ages, or going off the current roster for either Kitchen or Dax McCarty (who may be the closest thing to a young Beckerman that the U.S. has), or not being behind Bradley but level with him and going with a Nguyen or Nagbe or Feilhaber (althought the last will never happen).

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Fabian play his natural position in Copa, left back be damned. Let him do his thing and be the offensive threat he is in Germany. And find a place for Darlington Nagbe, please

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And there is, and has been, one of the biggest problems for the US.

Reaction Score
Who is going to fill in for Bradley in the next game as he can't play due to accumulated Yellow Cards?

Reaction Score
Fabian has mostly played right back for the US, not left side. Both qualifiers this September should allow for an attacking line up so Yedlin on the right back and Fabian on left might be great. I do not remember us doing that ever.

GCam is fine either at CB or the 6. I do not trust Omar though and would like to see how Brooks and Besler look together, which I do not recall happening before either.

Reaction Score
If Fabian is in form this summer it'd be a crime if JK doesn't play him there. He's our best outfield player at 5 positions, so I understand playing him at a spot where he'd offer the most over the alternative -- but give the guy his chance to shine on the Copa stage!!

Reaction Score
Who is going to fill in for Bradley in the next game as he can't play due to accumulated Yellow Cards?

I'd put Bedoya in the hole behind the strikers where he's been really good for Nantes. He's struggled for the USMNT a lot for whatever reason, probably primarily because he's being played out wide a lot of the time. And then Beckerman behind him for a diamond midfield. But if we go to that 4-3-3 like on Tuesday, I'd probably put Nagbe in Bradley's spot.

Reaction Score
I'd put Bedoya in the hole behind the strikers where he's been really good for Nantes. He's struggled for the USMNT a lot for whatever reason, probably primarily because he's being played out wide a lot of the time. And then Beckerman behind him for a diamond midfield. But if we go to that 4-3-3 like on Tuesday, I'd probably put Nagbe in Bradley's spot.

I was thinking Bedoya, too, unless he is still injured then. I have not seen Nagbe enough to have an opinion on if he would do well in that role or not. Against St. Vincent, I also think giving Cameron a try at the CDM slot may make sense, too, because the USMNT will likely need someone in that role in 2018 and I doubt it will be Beckerman due to his age.

Reaction Score
I would play Nagbe for Bradley. I want Fabian on a wing, not as fullback or in the center.

What happened to Greg Garza? He usually looked solid and never looked poor.

Reaction Score
Agreed, Zoo. Get Nagbe his minutes and play our best player in his most comfortable and dangerous spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom