2017 UConn Pro Day/UConn in 2017 NFL Draft/UDFA Contracts | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Pro Day/UConn in 2017 NFL Draft/UDFA Contracts

Reaction Score

3 cone drill time was middle of the road for S/DB's at the combines, and as mentioned above the 60 yard shuttle time would be second of all positions and the fastest among S/DB's. Just keeps getting better for Obi.

Glad Thomas improved his 40 time.

Reaction Score

>Bobby Puyol was there to kick some long field goals and he was on target with all of them while also doing some kickoffs. He said he will be taking part in a workout run by the Miami Dolphins on April 7 and has heard from some other teams as well.<<

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
A heavy defensive coaching presence was felt at UConn's pro day as the Jets sent their defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach, the Lions sent their defensive backs coach, as did the Panthers. They were part of an NFL contingent represented by 25 teams on hand to watch an indoor workout on FieldTurf by 10 players, including one who has a shot at the first round.

» CB Obi Melifonwu was not measured but did weigh in at 219 pounds. He stood on all of combine numbers, with the exception of the short shuttle (4.30 seconds) and three-cone (7.06 seconds). This is a really smooth player who makes everything look easy. he has a chance to get into the first round.

» WR Noel Thomas (6-0 5/8, 201) ran the 40 in 4.49 and 4.50 seconds, had a 33-inch vertical and a 9-foot-10 broad jump. He pulled a hamstring on his second 40 and his day was finished.

» OL Andreas Knapp (6-8 1/2, 311) ran a 40 in 5.25 seconds, had a 30-inch vertical, an 8-10 broad jump, and added 23 lifts on the bench press. Like Thomas, he also pulled a hamstring running the 40 and did not work out. He's now on the NFL's radar and is going to have a lot of teams wanting to work him out. He's projected as a late-round pick or priority free agent.

I think three might get drafted with Knapp being a possible late round pick. I do think a couple of others will get looks and calls to come in for tryouts and camp invites.

Reaction Score
A heavy defensive coaching presence was felt at UConn's pro day as the Jets sent their defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach, the Lions sent their defensive backs coach, as did the Panthers. They were part of an NFL contingent represented by 25 teams on hand to watch an indoor workout on FieldTurf by 10 players, including one who has a shot at the first round.

» CB Obi Melifonwu was not measured but did weigh in at 219 pounds. He stood on all of combine numbers, with the exception of the short shuttle (4.30 seconds) and three-cone (7.06 seconds). This is a really smooth player who makes everything look easy. he has a chance to get into the first round.

» WR Noel Thomas (6-0 5/8, 201) ran the 40 in 4.49 and 4.50 seconds, had a 33-inch vertical and a 9-foot-10 broad jump. He pulled a hamstring on his second 40 and his day was finished.

» OL Andreas Knapp (6-8 1/2, 311) ran a 40 in 5.25 seconds, had a 30-inch vertical, an 8-10 broad jump, and added 23 lifts on the bench press. Like Thomas, he also pulled a hamstring running the 40 and did not work out. He's now on the NFL's radar and is going to have a lot of teams wanting to work him out. He's projected as a late-round pick or priority free agent.

I think three might get drafted with Knapp being a possible late round pick. I do think a couple of others will get looks and calls to come in for tryouts and camp invites.

If 3 guys got drafted I would be ecstatic. That would put UConn in a position to have 22-23 guys on NFL rosters Week 1. Incredible.

Reaction Score
CBS Sports: Wednesday Pro Day Roundup: Interest in UConn’s Obi Melifonwu continues to rise

>After his remarkable numbers at the NFL Scouting Combine, senior safety Obi Melifonwu was the star of the show at UConn’s pro day on Wednesday. He stood on most of his eye-popping combine numbers, but saved the cone drills for the pro day, recording a 4.09 20-yard shuttle, 10.69 60-yard shuttle and 7.05 three-cone drill. At the combine, Melifonwu clocked a 4.40 40-yard dash, 44-inch vertical jump and 11-foot-9 broad jump – all among the best results in this class, regardless of position.

Melifonwu (6-foot-4, 224 pounds) was impressive during the positional workouts, displaying his loose athleticism in every direction. His speed and twitch are why several teams are looking at him as a cornerback. Melifonwu presents an intriguing test case because his testing numbers are first-round worthy, but his tape isn’t.

After meeting with the Detroit Lions last night, Melifonwu will earn plenty of frequent flier miles with numerous visits set up, including with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Seattle Seahawks and New Orleans Saints. <<

Reaction Score
Pro Day March 22 Update: USC | Draft Analyst

>>Combine star Obi Melifonwu is understandably resting on his combine numbers but will participate in position drills. I’ve been told about 40 percent of the teams interested in the college safety are looking at him as a cornerback at the next level and are expected to put him through more corner-specific drills (heavy footwork/backpedal, hip turn/transition) both today and in the coming days when they fly into UConn for private workouts.

Melifonwu met extensively with the Detroit Lions yesterday, a team he’s had several meetings with since the Senior Bowl. After the workout, he’ll be spending time with the Carolina Panthers.<<

>>UConn - Huskies pro day has ended and it was another solid workout for Obi Melifonwu.

The defensive back ran the short shuttle (4.09s) the 60-yard shuttle (10.69s) and the three-cone (7.05s). The fastest 60-yard shuttle time recorded at the combine was 10.71s by West Virginia receiver Shelton Gibson.

Melifonwo then worked defensive back drills and looked terrific. He moved incredibly well around the field, displayed quick, fluid footwork moving in reverse and easily flipped his hips. Scouts were impressed with the explosion and acceleration he displayed out of his transition.

Tomorrow the Tampa Bay Bucs come to UConn for a private workout with Melifonwu.<<

Reaction Score
Times Herald Record: Myers impressive before NFL scouts

>>Mikal Myers worked out in front of a New England Patriots scout Wednesday. When Myers was finished with his Pro Day at the University of Connecticut, a scout from the Giants spoke with the 2012 Newburgh Free Academy graduate. Myers, a 6-foot, 326-pound defensive tackle, is on the radar of the Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Kansas City Chiefs. He may not hear his name called during the NFL draft on April 27-29 in Philadelphia. But Myers certainly could be signed as a free agent following the draft. "I think I have a good chance," Myers said. "I think I'll be able to get an opportunity and I just have to try my best, see what happens from there and put my best foot forward. I've been playing since I was 5. I probably wanted to play for the Giants then."

Twenty-five NFL scouts came out to watch Myers and his UConn teammates at the Pro Day. Myers benched 225 pounds 29 times and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.34 seconds. By comparison, Alabama 310-pound defensive tackle Dalvin Thompson, a projected second- to third-round pick, put up 225 pounds 22 times at a Pro Day and ran a 5.19 at the NFL Combine.<<

>>Scouts are projecting Myers as a nose tackle or a 1-technique lineman, which plays between the center and guard. Growing up, Myers dreamed of playing running back or linebacker. "I kind of ate my way out of that though," Myers jokes.

Myers plans on staying at UConn to train and perfect his technique until the draft. Staying near home and playing for the Giants would fulfill his childhood dream. But all Myers is asking for is a shot from one of the NFL's 32 teams.<<

Reaction Score
Pro Day March 22 Update: USC | Draft Analyst

>>Combine star Obi Melifonwu is understandably resting on his combine numbers but will participate in position drills. I’ve been told about 40 percent of the teams interested in the college safety are looking at him as a cornerback at the next level and are expected to put him through more corner-specific drills (heavy footwork/backpedal, hip turn/transition) both today and in the coming days when they fly into UConn for private workouts.

Melifonwu met extensively with the Detroit Lions yesterday, a team he’s had several meetings with since the Senior Bowl. After the workout, he’ll be spending time with the Carolina Panthers.<<

>>UConn - Huskies pro day has ended and it was another solid workout for Obi Melifonwu.

The defensive back ran the short shuttle (4.09s) the 60-yard shuttle (10.69s) and the three-cone (7.05s). The fastest 60-yard shuttle time recorded at the combine was 10.71s by West Virginia receiver Shelton Gibson.

Melifonwo then worked defensive back drills and looked terrific. He moved incredibly well around the field, displayed quick, fluid footwork moving in reverse and easily flipped his hips. Scouts were impressed with the explosion and acceleration he displayed out of his transition.

Tomorrow the Tampa Bay Bucs come to UConn for a private workout with Melifonwu.<<

Eric Edholm‏ @Eric_Edholm 2m 2 minutes ago
UConn DB Obi Melifonwu had private meeting with #Buccaneers today at the school, per source.

Reaction Score
2017 NFL Draft Prospect Visits Tracked by College

Connecticut
The data was acquired via Charlie Campbell (@draftcampbell) and other media sources.

Legend:
SR - Senior Bowl meeting.
EW - East-West Shrine meeting.
COM - Combine meeting.
INT - Interested.
VINT - Very Interested.
PRO - Pro Day or campus meeting/workout.
LOC - Local visit. Prospect making a local visit.
PRI - Private visit. Prospect making an official 30 visit.
WOR - Private Workout. Members of an organization working out a player in private.
STM - Some Type of Meeting.
% - indicates more than one meeting at an event.
^ - has met with team at more than one event.
# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2017 Senior Bowl or the 2017 East-West Shrine Game

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom