2017 UConn Footbal Leadership Council | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Footbal Leadership Council

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Also no Sherriffs
Interesting.

FWIW I like Myers more with every interview. It does feel like he's a leader on this team.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Also no Sherriffs
Right. I wasnt too surprised by that, as he's not gonna start, but it is interesting insofar as it further demonstrates that he won't be on the field, because if he was starting he'd def be designated a leader IMO

Reaction Score
Fatukasi and Newsome lead by their actions on the field. Are team captains and Leadership Council one in the same? Maybe Newsome and Fatukasi will be elected team captains.

Reaction Score
Fatukasi and Newsome lead by their actions on the field. Are team captains and Leadership Council one in the same? Maybe Newsome and Fatukasi will be elected team captains.

There will be no "team captains" per se - just the Leadership Council.

Reaction Score
There will be no "team captains" per se - just the Leadership Council.
Captains elected for each game I believe.

Could be I guess for the coin toss function but the reporting has been pretty consistent in the message that there will be no team captains:

"Edsall will not have captains for the season. He will instead have a leadership council, with each position represented. "

"Edsall has decided against naming captains for his team this season. But many players, including perhaps Myers, will be named to a leadership council that will help guide the team."

"Instead of selecting team captains, Edsall will take another approach to leadership. He'll form a leadership council. "I'm not sure how many kids really want to be leaders anymore," Edsall said. "That's one of the things that I have seen change over the years. So what I've gone to is having a leadership council, where I take one guy from each position. I think it's very difficult in this day and age to try and go and lead 105 guys if you just have two guys. I've found by going this route, it's been more productive.""

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think this a great idea and concept to get buy in by a multitude of players and this way, every position gets a voice. By doing so he lessens the negativity, if, a captain has to be benched or faces some disciplinary action - it would look like bad choice/evaluation of character. Also allows this council to choose captains for the week.
I really love this approach

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I believe the Leadership Council has less to do with production on the field and more to do with things off the field, including the classroom, extra-curriculars and community service. I would have to believe HCRE laid out certain criteria that the Leadership Council had to meet.

Being a great player doesn't make you a great leader. That's not a knock on anyone who wasn't named. Players lead in different ways. I love that a former walk-on like Jason Thompson earned such an honor. It speaks volumes of his character, perseverance, and hard work on and off the field. His peers and his coaches recognize how important he is to this program regardless of his "playing time".

C

Chief00

I could be wrong but I believe the Leadership Council has less to do with production on the field and more to do with things off the field, including the classroom, extra-curriculars and community service. I would have to believe HCRE laid out certain criteria that the Leadership Council had to meet.

Being a great player doesn't make you a great leader. That's not a knock on anyone who wasn't named. Players lead in different ways. I love that a former walk-on like Jason Thompson earned such an honor. It speaks volumes of his character, perseverance, and hard work on and off the field. His peers and his coaches recognize how important he is to this program regardless of his "playing time".

Exactly, it also recognizes some guys who contribute to the team but may not get on the field a lot. It's all good!
Knowing Arkeel a little, he is probably glad some of his teammates have this opportunity and conversely that he doesn't LOL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom