2017 NCAA Men's Basketball Attendance | The Boneyard

2017 NCAA Men's Basketball Attendance

Reaction Score
>>The NCAA releases MBB attendance data from the 2016-17 season, three brands top the 20K per game average mark: Kentucky, Syracuse & Louisville. Overall, 39 programs averaged more than 10K & 98 above 5K. Missouri & UCLA were the biggest gainers, both with increases of more than 3K, 14 surged by 1K or more. Big Ten with the largest conference average at 12,235.<<

UConn @ #52 w/ average of 8,505 p/gm.

Lots more here: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2017.pdf

Reaction Score
Honestly, I dont like to get caught up in average attendance because a lot of that has to do with the capacity of the venue teams play in. For example, Syracuse will obviously average more than other schools because "The Dome" can hold over 30,000 for a game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Honestly, I dont like to get caught up in average attendance because a lot of that has to do with the capacity of the venue teams play in. For example, Syracuse will obviously average more than other schools because "The Dome" can hold over 30,000 for a game.
Maybe. But since we don't sellout why don't you keep that to yourself.

Reaction Score

"Hi, I'm a Syracuse fan and I enjoy watching my school under achieve in a carvernous, soulless, half-of-a-dome."

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Iv lived in both states Connecticut and Kentucky. Kentucky and Louisville fans are just about the most diehard college basketball fans iv ever seen anywhere across the US.You could add 10k more seats at the yum center and they'd fill them most nights.Uk 20k seats.

Reaction Score
"Hi, I'm a Syracuse fan and I enjoy watching my school under achieve in a carvernous, soulless, half-of-a-dome."

I never did understand why people brag about the carrier dome. Have seen two games there, and although both were very loud, the cavernous feel is creepy and offputing. Of course I'm biased because I'm a UConn fan, but I honestly hated both of those games because of the unsettling feeling of being in a football stadium that I knew was empty on the other side. Absolutely no comparison to the coziness of Gampel

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Those conference tournament figures show just how poorly the AAC conference tourney attendance was. A few midmajor conference beat us.

Reaction Score
When you don't play regional rivals in conference, this is what happens. I'm old enough to remember UConn prior to Calhoun, UConn was the doormat of the Big East and even then, the Civic Center would sell out for Georgetown, Villanova and others. You may say Connecticut fans are spoiled, but there is a direct correlation between attendance and the AAC.

Reaction Score
When you don't play regional rivals in conference, this is what happens. I'm old enough to remember UConn prior to Calhoun, UConn was the doormat of the Big East and even then, the Civic Center would sell out for Georgetown, Villanova and others. You may say Connecticut fans are spoiled, but there is a direct correlation between attendance and the AAC.

I don't disagree, but I think there's a stronger correlation between attendance and winning.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
don't know the exact stat but im pretty sure our attendance drop started in like the mid 2000's when we were still in the Big East didn't it? Even the national titles didn't provide the bumps we thought they would IIRC

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but I think there's a stronger correlation between attendance and winning.

Even with us winning, the attendance would stay the same....look at this BRUTAL home schedule this season. Because of us not winning last year and the schedule- I am anticipating just a truly terrible turnout for this year.

But in all honesty- i don't think winning has much to do with it. Fans don't want to come see East Carolina on a Tuesday, USF on a Thursday, or Tulane on a Sunday afternoon. I'm sorry- they just don't. Anyone who wants to argue that our conference has nothing to do with attendance (and trust me, people have) are just the most delusional.

Reaction Score
Even with us winning, the attendance would stay the same....look at this BRUTAL home schedule this season. Because of us not winning last year and the schedule- I am anticipating just a truly terrible turnout for this year.

But in all honesty- i don't think winning has much to do with it. Fans don't want to come see East Carolina on a Tuesday, USF on a Thursday, or Tulane on a Sunday afternoon. I'm sorry- they just don't. Anyone who wants to argue that our conference has nothing to do with attendance (and trust me, people have) are just the most delusional.

No doubt the conference has a little to do with it but not as much as you'd like to think. Winning has more to do with it and that's a no doubter. Put a winner back on the court, be in the hunt for something and people show up. Back in the day at the HCC the die hards in the top areas were there for Seton Hall (when they sucked) as much as they were for GTwon. And you looked below and those people with the great seats weren't there a lot for those games as it is now. But when the started winning in late 80's-90 they were there and so was everyone else. Didn't matter who they were playing it was sold out for most games even OOC games early as the anticipation of another great year was beginning.

Just win, they will be there for Tulsa and ECU.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

From my understanding, in the 90s/early 00s, you couldn't get a season ticket to Hartford/Gampel.

I was at UConn in 2005/2009 so in two separate years the team was ranked #1 nationally. Unless it was a big time opponent, you could get seats pretty easily to any game.

I'm not sure if there is just fan fatigue or the fan base simply isn't that good.

The main point being, that while the AAC schedule sucks, this didn't come out of nowhere.

Reaction Score
Some of the loss fans have to be the mass exodus of people out of Connecticut due to jobs. I'm a diehard UCONN fan who decided to move to Atlanta for greater opportunities around '98. From what I have seen the exodus has been greater since I left. Of course this will have a direct relationship to loss of fans.

Reaction Score
No doubt the conference has a little to do with it but not as much as you'd like to think. Winning has more to do with it and that's a no doubter. Put a winner back on the court, be in the hunt for something and people show up. Back in the day at the HCC the die hards in the top areas were there for Seton Hall (when they sucked) as much as they were for GTwon. And you looked below and those people with the great seats weren't there a lot for those games as it is now. But when the started winning in late 80's-90 they were there and so was everyone else. Didn't matter who they were playing it was sold out for most games even OOC games early as the anticipation of another great year was beginning.

Thats also cause there was history with Seton hall and they were a northeast program. I used to drive to Seton hall to catch UConn there. Yes part of it was the team was a top 20 team at the time, but the games were exciting.

I would never for the life of me drive to Tulsa or ECU to see Uconn play them

Reaction Score
Thats also cause there was history with Seton hall and they were a northeast program. I used to drive to Seton hall to catch UConn there. Yes part of it was the team was a top 20 team at the time, but the games were exciting.

I would never for the life of me drive to Tulsa or ECU to see Uconn play them

Yes but they were in the cellar with UConn back in the day annually. I also went to the Meadowlands to see UConn, McDonough, Carrier and DuPont. I mean those were for the road trip fun as well as the teams but if Tulsa were 3 hours away I'd do the same, ECU too. They're not I know, but let's not pretend there was ever a rivalry with the Hall from Calendrillo to Morton to Holloway. Again no doubt the attendance helps with some legacy programs vs hardly a one in the AAC. But if you win people come and fill the stands. I think this year especially after what occurred last year we would see very good numbers if they are winning.

Reaction Score
There's also been a decline in college sports attendance in general, right?

Reaction Score
Some of the loss fans have to be the mass exodus of people out of Connecticut due to jobs. I'm a diehard UCONN fan who decided to move to Atlanta for greater opportunities around '98. From what I have seen the exodus has been greater since I left. Of course this will have a direct relationship to loss of fans.
Connecticut isn't suffering population drain that drastic or anything. It's not West Virginia, which has a population smaller than it had 50 years ago.

While there are probably a few issues specific to UConn, college basketball attendance has been going down for awhile. We've been hovering below 5,000 per game in Division 1 since 2012. It hadn't been in the 4K range at any point since 1993 (when the NCAA started tracking total attendance). And it's widespread. UNC had its lowest attendance totals since the disaster year we dare not mention in polite company. It is what it is. Better tvs and more access to games has put downward pressure on getting fans to games.

Reaction Score

I don't get your argument. People showed up for all games against Big East teams, because they Big East was a great conference. Fans felt a part of something special. If it was Seton Hall, they showed up, because they knew we were getting Georgetown or Syracuse the game after. It was special. The teams were local. We had a lot riding on those games.

Now, when we play East Carolina, the next home game is against Tulane. It has everything to do with the conference.

Reaction Score
I don't get your argument. People showed up for all games against Big East teams, because they Big East was a great conference. Fans felt a part of something special. If it was Seton Hall, they showed up, because they knew we were getting Georgetown or Syracuse the game after. It was special. The teams were local. We had a lot riding on those games.

Now, when we play East Carolina, the next home game is against Tulane. It has everything to do with the conference.

I don't have this exact memory.

I remember lots of empty seats against seton hall, Rutgers and, later, St John's and DePaul and even Marquette.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom