2017 FCS game | The Boneyard

2017 FCS game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Source tells me that it's Holy Cross.....by then they will be at full 60 scholarships.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
One FCS game is OK, rather it be a lower FBS team but whatever. The other games need to be P5 quality.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Being from two towns east of Worcester, I would love this. I went to many a game at Fitton Field during my childhood, when HC was actually a Div 1AA national power. Then they joined what would become the Patriot League, which didn't award scholarships for football. Now that they can, I believe it will be a tough game. They won the Patriot League title and went to the FCS tournament as recently as 2009.

Reaction Score
Being from two towns east of Worcester, I would love this. I went to many a game at Fitton Field during my childhood, when HC was actually a Div 1AA national power. Then they joined what would become the Patriot League, which didn't award scholarships for football. Now that they can, I believe it will be a tough game. They won the Patriot League title and went to the FCS tournament as recently as 2009.

Are you old enough to have seen Gordie Lockbaum play there?

There was also a thread a while back when a bunch of folks here ripped BC for scheduling such a patsy FCS team.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Yes. I was 10 years old at that point.

There was also a thread a while back when a bunch of folks here ripped BC for scheduling such a patsy FCS team.

Well for one thing, BC and HC haven't played football in almost 30 years.

#2, I think it's tough for UConn fans to criticize BC's FCS Schedule when UConn can't beat 65% of theirs, including Towson.

Of course I expect that to change starting this year, but those in glass houses...you know?

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If we went Indy, this would be our marque game of the year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If we went Indy, this would be our marque game of the year.
There is exactly zero reason for us UConn fans to hate the College of the Holy Cross. After all, they gave us RJ Evans, without whom UConn probably doesn't win the BBall National Championship the following year. There's even less reason for their fans to hate us (or UConn) back...but at least they'd be regional, and the only thing required for a "rivalry" is if one can get from one campus to the other in under an hour, while observing the speed limit. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is exactly zero reason for us UConn fans to hate the College of the Holy Cross.

No kidding. If HC says yes to Dave Gavitt, there is no football board right now and we are in the A-10.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No kidding. If HC says yes to Dave Gavitt, there is no football board right now and we are in the A-10.
At best!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I actually attended a UConn-HC game in Worcester in 1980. One of the greatest games in UConn history. It was pouring rain and Ken Sweitzer marched the team down the field late throwing a TD pass on the last play of the game to get within one. They went for the win and scored again. I know Keith Hugger was involved but I forget if he caught the TD or the conversion. I do remember Reggie Eccelston making an incredible catch on 4th and long to keep the drive alive. He dove and made a 1-armed grab as the defender had his other arm pinned.

Dooley

Reaction Score
There is exactly zero reason for us UConn fans to hate the College of the Holy Cross. After all, they gave us RJ Evans, without whom UConn probably doesn't win the BBall National Championship the following year. There's even less reason for their fans to hate us (or UConn) back...but at least they'd be regional, and the only thing required for a "rivalry" is if one can get from one campus to the other in under an hour, while observing the speed limit. :rolleyes:

Please don't be mistaken. I don't hate Holy Cross. I am just not fired up (in the slightest) about playing against them.

Reaction Score
Is there a 1-AA team that does fire you up? I dont care about Nova, URI, Fordham, SB, or HC. We are going to see one and none of them will fire me up. Well, let me restate, i was really fired up watching us play a 1-AA last year and getting our butts kicked by them, but I could care a less which team they bring in from the minors to play.

Reaction Score
Is there a 1-AA team that does fire you up? I dont care about Nova, URI, Fordham, SB, or HC. We are going to see one and none of them will fire me up. Well, let me restate, i was really fired up watching us play a 1-AA last year and getting our butts kicked by them, but I could care a less which team they bring in from the minors to play.
If we HAVE to schedule the 1-AAs of the world let it be a competitive known commodity like New Hampshire, Appy State, Georgia State, etc. Then beat the snot out of them.

Reaction Score
my indifference cant be measured on this - play a local team, beat the snot out of them, and get on w/life.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Please don't be mistaken. I don't hate Holy Cross. I am just not fired up (in the slightest) about playing against them.
That was not exactly to what I was referring. Were you really fired up to play Towson or UMass? I was trying to cut off at the pass the argument that UConn could foster "local rivalries" if they went Independent in football, as if locale is of the utmost importance in the era of the charter jet.

Dooley

Reaction Score
That was not exactly to what I was referring. Were you really fired up to play Towson or UMass? I was trying to cut off at the pass the argument that UConn could foster "local rivalries" if they went Independent in football, as if locale is of the utmost importance in the era of the charter jet.

I think we are arguing for the same thing. I'm not fired up to play any FCS local teams. Ever. Holy Cross included. My point was that if we went football Independent, like some suggest we should on this board, then local FCS teams will be our better games on the football schedule. Might as well shut down the Rent if that was the case.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think we are arguing for the same thing. I'm not fired up to play any FCS local teams. Ever. Holy Cross included. My point was that if we went football Independent, like some suggest we should on this board, then local FCS teams will be our better games on the football schedule. Might as well shut down the Rent if that was the case.

Yeah, we sorta are. Most of the time, I get fired up to for the event: The tailgating, the camaraderie with my group, and watching UConn football. The only reason why I like Holy Cross coming here is because I grew up 13 minutes away from there. My other point is that a rivalry doesn't have to be local anymore. Gone are the days of stealing mascots. Back in the day, it was a fraternity prank. Now it's grand larceny.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yeah, we sorta are. Most of the time, I get fired up to for the event: The tailgating, the camaraderie with my group, and watching UConn football. The only reason why I like Holy Cross coming here is because I grew up 13 minutes away from there. My other point is that a rivalry doesn't have to local anymore. Gone are the days of stealing mascots. Back in the day, it was a fraternity prank. Now it's grand larceny.

Agree again. I love going to all of the games. Last year was tough but I really looked forward to the games in the days leading up to them (including Memphis!).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Would that make you from Westborough?

Reaction Score

How about Ed Marinaro???

Husky25

Reaction Score
Would that make you from Westborough?

Almost, but no. I was going to keep you guessing, but we are all behind avatars here and anyone who really wants to find out where I lived 19 years ago, already knows :).

Northborough. Before I became a UConn Husky, I was an Algonquin Tomahawk!!!

Reaction Score
Almost, but no. I was going to keep you guessing, but we are all behind avatars here and anyone who really wants to find out where I lived 19 years ago, already knows :).

Northborough. Before I became a UConn Husky, I was an Algonquin Tomahawk!!!

ARHS class of 2004. Go T-hawks.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This should've been Army/UMass/Buffalo if were talking about local lower tier teams. Hell Buffalo killed us last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom