Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I will do the next two games in a single thread. This is the final matchup of the 1st round.

@Huskyforlife
G: Kevin Ollie
G: Caron Butler
F: Niels Giffey
F: Cliff Robinson
C: Hilton Armstrong
6: Talik Brown
7: Art Quimby
-------------------------------

@k-walk
G: AJ Price
G: Rashad Anderson
F: Richard Hamilton
F: Shonn Miller
C: Andre Drummond
6: Oriakhi
7: Amidah Brimah

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Generally I vote on the wrong side
of these polls - maybe I don't get what the criteria is... but if you go line by line 7 against 7... HFL has the better college player in 6 of the slots.

And it's not even close in most of the cases.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are they playing an actual basketball game?

Ollie, Butler and Robinson spent 40 years combined in the NBA for a reason. They would torch that team.

Miller and Brimah wouldn't get on the court on in the years Ollie, Butler, Armstrong and Brown were playing.

Reaction Score
Generally I vote on the wrong side
of these polls - maybe I don't get what the criteria is... but if you go line by line 7 against 7... HFL has the better college player in 6 of the slots.

And it's not even close in most of the cases.
Yup. The way both of these teams were put together is problematic, but K-Walk has a) only one ball-handler, and b) three guys (Andre, AO & Amida) who can only play one spot. There is no depth at all.

At least with HFL he has a coherent roster, multiple ball handlers, rim protection & 2 shooters. If he'd gone with Phil Gamble or Earl Kelley instead of Quimby he'd have one of the two best teams IMO, but even with a mistake on the last pick this team still trashes K-Walk's.

And that goes back to your original point: It's not clear what criteria people use to vote.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yup. The way both of these teams were put together is problematic, but K-Walk has a) only one ball-handler, and b) three guys (Andre, AO & Amida) who can only play one spot. There is no depth at all.

At least with HFL he has a coherent roster, multiple ball handlers, rim protection & 2 shooters. If he'd gone with Phil Gamble or Earl Kelley instead of Quimby he'd have one of the two best teams IMO, but even with a mistake on the last pick this team still trashes K-Walk's.

And that goes back to your original point: It's not clear what criteria people use to vote.

I guess the criteria must be recent players > historical players.

HFK has better players in 6 of 7 slots but kwalk has more recent players in 6 of 7 slots.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I went with HFL, ball-handling & NBA experience

AJ would have to play the entire game for his team

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The depth argument is really why I didn't want to draft a bench, this should be strictly a 5 on 5. If we take it in that manner and only use bench players as "potential modifiers" for our lineups then I vote k-walk. In my opinion, k-walk's backcourt and Hamilton at the wing make a seriously deadly combo. With Proce and Anderson you have two of our better 3pt shooters and Hamilton will dominate inside the arc, this would be an elite shooting team.

As for his interior, HFL indeed had the better college players but it didn't offset k-walk's backcourt and wings. In addition, k-walk's bigs are super athletic and could really run and get out in transition with the rest of his squad, in a way I "get" the identity that he's going for here. Whereas with HFL I guess I just don't get a similar identity when I look at the roster, that may be my own fault though. Just explaining the other side of the coin.

Reaction Score
I guess the criteria must be recent players > historical players.

HFK has better players in 6 of 7 slots but kwalk has more recent players in 6 of 7 slots.

I'm curious to hear your reasoning as to why Ollie was better than Price.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm curious to hear your reasoning as to why Ollie was better than Price.

I'm fairly shocked that anyone would try to claim that AJ Price was a better player than Kevin Ollie.

Price was a better scorer - Kevin Ollie was better in every other aspect of the game of basketball. This might be why Ollie played 2.5x more NBA games than Price.

Generally when talking sports recent players are better than their historical peers. The one exception is college basketball where the game has devolved over the past couple of decades. Ollie's years in the Big East weren't the leagues best years, but the level of play in college basketball 15-20 years ago was better than today granting the players are more athletic today.

It's not an accident that Ollie lasted a decade longer than Price in the NBA and had the baskeball acumen to win an NC as a coach and be a candidate for multiple NBA jobs.

There is a post in this thread that claims Price and Anderson are a better backcourt than Ollie and Butler.

Caron Butler is 36 and still drawing an NBA paycheck. Butler scored over 12,000 points in the NBA. That UConn game website must have the Maryland Elite Eight game... maybe the voters are teenagers and Brimah and Miller seem like they could play with these guys - but they could not.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I'm fairly shocked that anyone would try to claim that AJ Price was a better player than Kevin Ollie.

Price was a better scorer - Kevin Ollie was better in every other aspect of the game of basketball. This might be why Ollie played 2.5x more NBA games than Price.

Generally when talking sports recent players are better than their historical peers. The one exception is college basketball where the game has devolved over the past couple of decades. Ollie's years in the Big East weren't the leagues best years, but the level of play in college basketball 15-20 years ago was better than today granting the players are more athletic today.

It's not an accident that Ollie lasted a decade longer than Price in the NBA and had the baskeball acumen to win an NC as a coach and be a candidate for multiple NBA jobs.

There is a post in this thread that claims Price and Anderson are a better backcourt than Ollie and Butler.

Caron Butler is 36 and still drawing an NBA paycheck. Butler scored over 12,000 points in the NBA. That UConn game website must have the Maryland Elite Eight game... maybe the voters are teenagers and Brimah and Miller seem like they could play with these guys - but they could not.
I included Hamilton as part of the backcourt in my post but your point is taken and valid. There is definitely a recency bias in these types of voting based things and I personally took that into account when drafting my team. Otherwise a good post here with solid insight to back it up, I may have underestimated HFL's squad.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
image.png

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I lost to that team last year... Something about price and Hamilton people must really like.

Reaction Score
Definitely got to give this one to @Huskyforlife. K-walk has a decent team but is just outmatched. Ollie > Price. Butler > Anderson. Robinson > Miller. Armstrong > Drummond. I'll give k-walk the edge at SF.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
This is a close one. Gonna need a solid cut off time to make it fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom