2016 Comments from the Guru | The Boneyard

2016 Comments from the Guru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://womhoops.blogspot.com/ (A reputable blog, btw, from the dean of WCBB reporters.)

Leading contenders for coach seem to be Geno, Doug Bruno, Cheryl Reeve, Dawn Staley.
Meadors, Agler, Thibault, KMR, Muffet also possible.

Reaction Score
The ideal for USA Basketball, I bet, is a woman with USA BB experience who is also familiar with the current players. I'm not sure any such person exists currently.

I'm putting my money on Geno, Reeve, Staley, or KMR.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting - very interesting discussion. I think Geno would be a very good choice, and I doubt he would turn down the offer, unless he felt it was too great an honor and that it should be passed on to someone else.
If not him, I could see them choosing him for the 2014 WC with the 2016 Olympic choice being his assistant.
I think he 1) has a ton of respect from all the players, and 2) knows how to blend all the stars into a cohesive team.
Most coaches are used to more of a tiered team structure, stars and support players.
I do love Angel talking about how much she learned in the past month (more than she had ever learned in so short a time) and Dee talking about the learning process for all USA players of sacrificing some of their own games to the betterment of the team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That was some good stuff. I hope it's Geno, and if not him, Doug, but I suspect they may elect to go to a woman this time. If the lawsuit goes away quickly and quietly, I could see Geno being a strong contender, but if it languishes with all kinds of details continually being made public, I could see them saying "no thanks Geno".

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
http://womhoops.blogspot.com/ (A reputable blog, btw, from the dean of WCBB reporters.)

Leading contenders for coach seem to be Geno, Doug Bruno, Cheryl Reeve, Dawn Staley.
Meadors, Agler, Thibault, KMR, Muffet also possible.
I hope it's Staley. She's given a tremendous amount to Team USA over the years as both a player and an assistant coach and deserves the opportunity.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Shouldn't AJ have the same # of NCAA titles on the Guru's list as Sue?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The ideal for USA Basketball, I bet, is a woman with USA BB experience who is also familiar with the current players. I'm not sure any such person exists currently.

I'm putting my money on Geno, Reeve, Staley, or KMR.
I am not aware of any USA basketball experience for KMR, and I am pretty sure she has had none recently. So she is not a candidate IMO.

Reaction Score
I am not aware of any USA basketball experience for KMR, and I am pretty sure she has had none recently. So she is not a candidate IMO.

True, but neither does Reeve. It doesn't seem like there are many candidates who fit the hoped-for criteria.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
When asked if he would coach the 2016 team Auriemma said something like "that's an offer that you can't turn down." IIRC he also said that he isn't going to rule it out. He may feel different once he comes down off the high.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
True, but neither does Reeve. It doesn't seem like there are many candidates who fit the hoped-for criteria.
Right, actually I did not even realize who Reeve was before reading the Guru's blog. There are enough candidates who meet the criteria, that I don't think it's necessary to ignore the USA Basketball piece, which IMO, is most important.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It would be cool if Dawn got the nod, but I don't know if she has enough experience for the Committee to go with her yet. Given her huge contributions and leadership, she will get there someday. Just not sure when.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Shouldn't AJ have the same # of NCAA titles on the Guru's list as Sue?

yeah, I had the same thought. But, as he said, he was writing this quickly, late in the evening, so I think a bit of slack is in order for the ol' guy!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It would be cool if Dawn got the nod, but I don't know if she has enough experience for the Committee to go with her yet. Given her huge contributions and leadership, she will get there someday. Just not sure when.
Yes - I think the HC experience for Dawn is the issue - she has been great as a college HC but at the second tier of D1. I think that is also why JenR is probably not at the top of the list too, though she has been HC of other USA teams with great success.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually, Sue should have the same as AJ - 2 and not three.
Didn't think either should have three just that they should be the same. I did think it was two but I was thinking more of them being in the same class.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
yeah, I had the same thought. But, as he said, he was writing this quickly, late in the evening, so I think a bit of slack is in order for the ol' guy!
Slack for Mel is always in order. He has earned his pardons.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Slack for Mel is always in order. He has earned his pardons.
Yep, Mel has way too many facts and figures percolating in his brain and occasionally gets it wrong but as a fellow senior citizen he gets a pass from me! One of the good guys for WBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom