2016 #1 DRAFT PICK: B.STEWART OR J. LLOYD | The Boneyard

2016 #1 DRAFT PICK: B.STEWART OR J. LLOYD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The WNBA DRAFT is shaping up to be one hard decision next year. Especially if Tuck joins the group (Which I Hope Not).

I am sure most uconn fans would vote Stewart due to her all around game and upside - height - skill set ect. So would I. But the way JL has been performing of late (Giving The Fact She & Stewart Have Another Year Remaining & will improve)...the decision who to draft 1st will not be a clear cut decison even with (Team Need) taking center stage.

Both can shoot the ball and slash to the basket. Both are major scorers & each has their own intangibles etc. However, it will still be interesting next year to see which athlete goes number 1 in the 2016 WNBA draft.

The media before the beginning of the WCBB season has been praising & anointing Stewart. And rightfully so giving all what she has done (championships etc.) Yet one can't help notice that JL will make the 2016 WNBA DRAFT very interesting to see.

Reaction Score
This is a pretty simple question. Stewie can do so much more than Loyd and she has proven she shows up in the big game!

That is so true. But the way JL PERFORMED against
Uconn and Tennessee to tonight (And I think she is averaging over 20pts a game.) Speed and pull up jumper off the dribble etc. And based on the fact what that franchise needs to strengthen their team. Does that scenario come into play also?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I admit i dont follow the WNBA much anymore, but is Loyd big enough to play the SG in the WNBA ?

Reaction Score
I'll take Stewie simply because she's 6'4 and can do the same stuff Loyd can do if not better. Both players will go # 1 and 2 and be on bad teams which will make them possible starters.

Reaction Score
I'll take Stewie simply because she's 6'4 and can do the same stuff Loyd can do if not better. Both players will go # 1 and 2 and be on bad teams which will make them possible starters.

Well you never know; a team may tank to get one of those 2. Its happened before.

Reaction Score
The WNBA DRAFT is shaping up to be one hard decision next year. Especially if Tuck joins the group (Which I Hope Not).

I am sure most uconn fans would vote Stewart due to her all around game and upside - height - skill set ect. So would I. But the way JL has been performing of late (Giving The Fact She & Stewart Have Another Year Remaining & will improve)...the decision who to draft 1st will not be a clear cut decison even with (Team Need) taking center stage.

Both can shoot the ball and slash to the basket. Both are major scorers & each has their own intangibles etc. However, it will still be interesting next year to see which athlete goes number 1 in the 2016 WNBA draft.

The media before the beginning of the WCBB season has been praising & anointing Stewart. And rightfully so giving all what she has done (championships etc.) Yet one can't help notice that JL will make the 2016 WNBA DRAFT very interesting to see.
The WNBA DRAFT is shaping up to be one hard decision next year. Especially if Tuck joins the group (Which I Hope Not)..

At this moment I think it is so lopsided for Stewie it's not even close. IMO you don't evaluate players just on how they steamroll a top 30 team. Loyd has had two "money" games vs UCONN and been basically SHUTDOWN. The reg season game was terrific for her - but come money time let's see her do it. Stewie already has. The type of players/athletes Loyd is going to face professionally are the type of players on UCONN. She talks a big game but fact is UCONN has shut her down twice in the NCAA's. This past game she was at home and a big underdog. Playing w/o pressure is one thing.

Certainly I wouldn't rule out, Maybe she becomes "Jordanesque." But until I see her steamroll UCONN (not necessarily win) and thoroughly outplay everyone (which we have seen Stewie do), then it's Stewie and right now it ain't close.

While you are more intrigued by Loyd vs Stewie for number 1. I'm more intrigued between Loyd and MoJeff for number 2. Though right now Loyd number 2 no doubt. While you say Loyd will make draft interesting. As of right now I think you're right as the oncoming MoJeff train is beating down hard on Loyd. MoJeff's play lately has been nothing but breathtaking.

Reaction Score
At this moment I think it is so lopsided for Stewie it's not even close. IMO you don't evaluate players just on how they steamroll a top 30 team. Loyd has had two "money" games vs UCONN and been basically SHUTDOWN. The reg season game was terrific for her - but come money time let's see her do it. Stewie already has. The type of players/athletes Loyd is going to face professionally are the type of players on UCONN. She talks a big game but fact is UCONN has shut her down twice in the NCAA's. This past game she was at home and a big underdog. Playing w/o pressure is one thing.

Certainly I wouldn't rule out, Maybe she becomes "Jordanesque." But until I see her steamroll UCONN (not necessarily win) and thoroughly outplay everyone (which we have seen Stewie do), then it's Stewie and right now it ain't close.

While you are more intrigued by Loyd vs Stewie for number 1. I'm more intrigued between Loyd and MoJeff for number 2. Though right now Loyd number 2 no doubt. While you say Loyd will make draft interesting. As of right now I think you're right as the oncoming MoJeff train is beating down hard on Loyd. MoJeff's play lately has been nothing but breathtaking.

You are definitely on the money with Mo Jeff. And trust me I may not have mention her but didn't forget her at all. I think she will be (especially if she continues doing what she has been doing of late) and improve on it next year. She will be a top (5) WNBA PICK.

Reaction Score
You are definitely on the money with Mo Jeff. And trust me I may not have mention her but didn't forget her at all. I think she will be (especially if she continues doing what she has been doing of late) and improve on it next year. She will be a top (5) WNBA PICK.

Last year I saw her make some "juke moves" - my jaw dropped. Heck same with JL and BS over the past two+ years they've done some special things. I was so angry last year with Doris Burke for criticizing MoJeff for taking a 3 then getting in the lane another play and missing a floater- in which Doris said of both "that's not her job." Bullcrap. We've seen her stick 3'd last year and now this year. We've seen her get in the lane and hit floaters. Her JOB is not Limited to passing. IMO she has showed something that is frighteningly great. Whether she can continue to grow while maintaining consistency -- there was a shot she made on this latest streak it was a pull up jump shot. It was a quick pull-up jump shot - she shot it with ease. All net. Can she get that shot anytime she wants and can she knock it down consistently? Maybe she can't and it will never be a part of repertoire other than occasionally "show me." She doesn't "need it" with UCONN but maybe in 4 years she shows "she can do it. "

One weakness with Loyd is I think her jump shot - at least from 3- is streaky. MoJeff - maybe she is too - but possibly she ISN"T streaky and is just damn good shooter (can't be as good as this roll but maybe a ton more consistent than Loyd and can get it off near as easy as Loyd from the pg position). Then maybe not "top 5" for MoJeff but "top 2" especially for a team needing a pg.

I think the ST Johns game - not sure. But that pull-up -- that was special and it seemed like she could do it anytime she wants. Maybe she can't.

Reaction Score
Stewie goes first. Her talent and height will help her. Wnba coaches know she is surrounded by such talent hence why her numbers might be lower.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A lot remains to be seen. People thought Latta was a lock for #1 back on 2007 and Harding wasn't projected to be a lottery pick...then the 2007 season happened and Harding was outstanding while Latta's play declined.

Stewart is a more unique prospect because her skill set is so unique. She isn't the athlete or shooter Loyd is, but she has the best inside-outside ability of any prospect the last 10 years. And she has shown up big time in big moments.

I think taking Stewart is more of a gamble with potentially a better pay out. She struggled in international ball and physically needs to get stronger, but has such a unique skill set I think she will be the top pick.

Loyd reminds me of Deanna Nolan. She has improved leaps and bounds each season and is so smooth offensively. She is the best athlete in the class and can score from anywhere . She still has huge upside and should be a major impact player from day 1. She has struggled against UCONN in the Final Four the last two years but it is pretty rare that players excel against Connecticut.

2016 will be one of the better classes to graduate. Loyd and Stewart would be sure fire #1 picks if they entered in 2015 (and probably 2014 had they been eligible.)

A lot can still change--this time two years ago Graves would've been a popular pick for #1, so we'll see what happens. If I had to pick now, I'd take Stewart but it'd be hard to pass on Loyd.

Reaction Score
Right about loyd struggling against Uconn. But who dont struggle against Uconn the way they play you defensively.

And the way Mo has been playing of late has definitely gotten the WNBA scouts attention.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's a difference between a player who has a NPOY type of season, and the upside of the players you are comparing her to. Stewie still needs to get stronger, but she can do many more things that Loyd can. Having said that, Loyd is easily my NPOY this year, but I'd take Stewie first in the draft if they both were seniors.

Reaction Score
Right about loyd struggling against Uconn. But who dont struggle against Uconn the way they play you defensively.

And the way Mo has been playing of late has definitely gotten the WNBA scouts attention.

Notre dame was known as terrific defensive team too. And Stewie shredded them. When you are great -- I've seen teams all over for example Larry Bird in college- the super great players breakout. You can't hold them back. As I said above you don't have to win. But McBride was darn good vs UCONN last year, wasn't she? Why can't Loyd?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Notre dame was known as terrific defensive team too. And Stewie shredded them. When you are great -- I've seen teams all over for example Larry Bird in college- the super great players breakout. You can't hold them back. As I said above you don't have to win. But McBride was darn good vs UCONN last year, wasn't she? Why can't Loyd?

Notre Dame has never been a defensive juggarnaut like Connecticut. This year and last year they gave up almost 62 ppg. In 2013 it was 59ppg. Compare that to UCONN whose numbers in those three years are 52, 48 and 50. And last year in the title game, Dolson and Stewart had a field day against Notre Dame since Achonwa was out. Notre Dame was far from full strength that game, and UCONN took advantage of the situation.

And I'd say Loyd is definitely breaking out this year. Look at her point production against ranked teams:
Michigan State-28
Maryland-27
UCONN-31
North Carolina-8
Tennessee-34

The only game she wasn't outstanding was against UNC, and she still contributed in other ways with 6 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks.

And McBride was outstanding and one of the better scorers women's basketball has seen in a while. Even McBride had poor showings against UCONN (see 2013 Final Four), so I wouldn't assume Loyd isn't a big game player based on those 2 showings.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame has never been a defensive juggarnaut like Connecticut. This year and last year they gave up almost 62 ppg. In 2013 it was 59ppg. Compare that to UCONN whose numbers in those three years are 52, 48 and 50. And last year in the title game, Dolson and Stewart had a field day against Notre Dame since Achonwa was out. Notre Dame was far from full strength that game, and UCONN took advantage of the situation.

And I'd say Loyd is definitely breaking out this year. Look at her point production against ranked teams:
Michigan State-28
Maryland-27
UCONN-31
North Carolina-8
Tennessee-34

The only game she wasn't outstanding was against UNC, and she still contributed in other ways with 6 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks.

And McBride was outstanding and one of the better scorers women's basketball has seen in a while. Even McBride had poor showings against UCONN (see 2013 Final Four), so I wouldn't assume Loyd isn't a big game player based on those 2 showings.

Just because ND'd defense "wasn't as super great as UCONN" two years ago doesn't mean ND's defense wasn't great. Two years ago Stewie shredded them. When number 2 loses number 1 it doesn't mean number stinks.

Secondly I spoke of "money games" which is the NCAA tourney. A reg season matchup in which Loyd gets 31 at home and they are a decided underdog which means you can play loose vs UCONN is very different than a "money game" which I referenced above in NCAA's.

Third- as I stated before - Loyd is going to be facing teams professionally more like UCONN not like teams like Mich State. Big difference.

Fourth- just becuase McBride had struggled in other games doesn't take away from the "money game" last year in which she was terrific vs UCONN. I speak of the money game- when all the cards on the table - winner take all. That's where you make your bones. Loyd's money games vs UCONN have been awful thus far. On the flip side Stewie's "money games" have been terrific. You can downplay last year but NOT the year before.

FIve- all I'm saying is money game in NCAA's "do it" vs UCONN. The real great ones - you give thme three or four shots in a "meony game" they will eventually explode or justplay really "big." Just as Larry Bird had done as teams collapsed on him. Justas eventually McBride was terrific- loyd may vey well have two more shots vs UCONN. SHOW ME- in a money game vs UCONN she can be efficient. You don't have to win.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
IMO implication of her struggling way too harsh of a statement. Sure she "struggled." How well did Sims perform who is 2 years older? She didn't see any real time either. Stewie is still a pup.

Struggled might not be the right word, but she didn't earn playing time to prove she is capable of playing at that level. She is in a rare group of collegiates to play in the Olympics or in World Championships. In the last 20 years the only other collegiate players to play in World Championships or the Olympics are Parker (who had arguably the best tournament of any American in 2006), Moore who was a major contributor in 2010, and Holdsclaw who was a major contributor in 1998.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Just because ND'd defense "wasn't as super great as UCONN" two years ago doesn't mean ND's defense wasn't great. Two years ago Stewie shredded them. When number 2 loses number 1 it doesn't mean number stinks.

Secondly I spoke of "money games" which is the NCAA tourney. A reg season matchup in which Loyd gets 31 at home and they are a decided underdog which means you can play loose vs UCONN is very different than a "money game" which I referenced above in NCAA's.

Third- as I stated before - Loyd is going to be facing teams professionally more like UCONN not like teams like Mich State. Big difference.

Fourth- just becuase McBride had struggled in other games doesn't take away from the "money game" last year in which she was terrific vs UCONN. I speak of the money game- when all the cards on the table - winner take all. That's where you make your bones. Loyd's money games vs UCONN have been awful thus far. On the flip side Stewie's "money games" have been terrific. You can downplay last year but NOT the year before.

FIve- all I'm saying is money game in NCAA's "do it" vs UCONN. The real great ones - you give thme three or four shots in a "meony game" they will eventually explode or justplay really "big." Just as Larry Bird had done as teams collapsed on him. Justas eventually McBride was terrific- loyd may vey well have two more shots vs UCONN. SHOW ME- in a money game vs UCONN she can be efficient. You don't have to win.

1. Notre Dame's defense wasn't great in 2013, 2014, and they aren't a great defensive team this year. What about their defense is great in your opinion? Also, not sure what you're saying in the last part of this one.

2. If you're only willing to look at Loyd's body of work in the NCAA Tournament, you will see that Loyd has played very well in non-UCONN "money games." She had 17 points against Duke in the regional final in 2013, 30 against Baylor in last year's regional final, and had 16 in their Final Four romp of Maryland.

And Notre Dame was not a huge underdog at all going into the Connecticut game. UCONN was ranked lower in the polls and there were ample questions about how good UCONN was this season after their loss at Stanford. People on this board were even picking Notre Dame to win the game, and I don't think I've seen so many people pick a team to beat UCONN on the BY since pre-Maya Moore days.

3. As I said previously, how you perform against Connecticut is not an indication of how well you'll perform at the next level. Chiney Ogwumike was outstanding as a rookie and I don't think she ever had a stand out game against Connecticut in 5 tries. Odyssey Sims shot 4-25 against UCONN last season and had a great rookie year. And even with that said, Loyd scored 31 points against UCONN this season which is more than McBride, Griner, Diggins, Parker, Sims, etc. ever scored in one game against UCONN.

4. I think you're a little too preoccupied on the UCONN-Notre Dame head to head matchups in the NCAAs. As I pointed out earlier in this post, Loyd has been pretty darn good in other "money games." Stewart has outplayed her head to head in the Final Four. I'm not arguing that, nor did I try to discredit Stewart's outstanding game in 2013 against ND.

5. I don't know why you're hung up on the two Final Four games against Connecticut where she struggled. Almost everybody struggles against Connecticut. Her first year she was the fourth option offensively. Last year she was playing without Achonwa so UCONN was able to smother her and McBride defensively. McBride was able to hit a few more shots than Loyd, but I don't think Loyd's poor showing the title game warrants a label of crumbling in big games.

Reaction Score
I know one thing. If Tuck continues to stay 100% healthy she will improve no doubt about it.

Again (STAY HEALTHY) and have a consistent monster year next year. If she decides come out next year for the 2016 draft at 6'2...

We may be looking at (1) Stewart... (2) Tuck...& (3) Jewell. This base on my (if s)...Who passes up a good low post player at 6'2 who can shoot the ball and also grab rebounds and block shots?

My goodness Uconn is going to own the glass next year. STEWART-BUTLER & TUCK. WOOOO WEEEEE!

Reaction Score
Loyd should go into the WNBA this year. She can get her degree later. She needs to get PAID ASAP!

Reaction Score
I know one thing. If Tuck continues to stay 100% healthy she will improve no doubt about it.

Again (STAY HEALTHY) and have a consistent monster year next year. If she decides come out next year for the 2016 draft at 6'2...

We may be looking at (1) Stewart... (2) Tuck...& (3) Jewell. This base on my (if s)...Who passes up a good low post player at 6'2 who can shoot the ball and also grab rebounds and block shots?

My goodness Uconn is going to own the glass next year. STEWART-BUTLER & TUCK. WOOOO WEEEEE!
I think Tuck should stay with UCONN as long as possible and compete for NC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom