2015 St. Petersburg Bowl advanced stats tale of the tape: Marshall vs. Connecticut | The Boneyard

2015 St. Petersburg Bowl advanced stats tale of the tape: Marshall vs. Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing. There is a lot of detailed info/statistical comparisons in there. It tells you just about everything except strength of schedule (so, how good were the teams each school achieved their stats against?).
According to Sagarin's, UConn SOS ranked 69th, Marshall's ranked 138th.
UConn is 1-1 v. teams in the top 30, Marshall has not played a team in the top 30.
Marshall will statistically be the 8th best offense UConn will have faced this season.
Marshall will statistically be the 5th best defense UConn has faced this season.
UConn will statistically be the 10th best offense Marshall has faced this season.
UConn will statistically be the 2nd best defense Marshall has faced this season.

I like UConn getting points, and I like UConn taking the money line. It will be a close game, but I like our chances.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing. There is a lot of detailed info/statistical comparisons in there. It tells you just about everything except strength of schedule (so, how good were the teams each school achieved their stats against?).
According to Sagarin's, UConn SOS ranked 69th, Marshall's ranked 138th.
UConn is 1-1 v. teams in the top 30, Marshall has not played a team in the top 30.
Marshall will statistically be the 8th best offense UConn will have faced this season.
Marshall will statistically be the 5th best defense UConn has faced this season.
UConn will statistically be the 10th best offense Marshall has faced this season.
UConn will statistically be the 2nd best defense Marshall has faced this season.

I like UConn getting points, and I like UConn taking the money line. It will be a close game, but I like our chances.

I really don't see us losing this one. We've faced a lot of solid teams this year, and they really have no quality opponents with the exception of WKU, who they lost to decidedly. Likewise, WKU's best victory was probably Vanderbilt, a two point victory. The highest ranked team that Marshall beat was Southern Miss (54th S&P+). UConn's best victory was Houston (32) with respectable games against Navy (13), BYU (34) and USF (40). I just don't see how Marshall is going to be well prepared to play a team who isn't University of Charlotte, North Texas, FAU, FIU, Kent State, Norfolk State or Old Dominion. I'm not saying we're a football powerhouse, but we're coming into the game with much, much better preparation in the regular season. Hopefully this isn't going full Nostical, but when I look at their schedule I see UConn with 11 very possible wins, conceding a loss to WKU.

Reaction Score
Those stats are unbelievable. Can I point out Tommy Myers 80 percent catch rate. Always wondered why we didn't pursue throwing to a 6'6" TE more

Reaction Score
Those stats are unbelievable. Can I point out Tommy Myers 80 percent catch rate. Always wondered why we didn't pursue throwing to a 6'6" TE more
Hmmmm let's see, when the TE's first job is to throw a block or pick up a blitz which picks up a couple of seconds and he then realizes his QB is either on his or running for his life....Well you get the point. If our O line is better next year which is expected Tommy and others will see more balls their way. O line and QB dictate everything possible on offense.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm let's see, when the TE's first job is to throw a block or pick up a blitz which picks up a couple of seconds and he then realizes his QB is either on his or running for his life....Well you get the point. If our O line is better next year which is expected Tommy and others will see more balls their way. O line and QB dictate everything possible on offense.

Agree. On the other hand, a quick release and throw to the TE after holding his block and a throw to the TE over the middle or to the back side was there all year and seldom called. How many times did we scream for throws into the end zone to our taller TE's against smaller DB's--only to see tough fade routes or stuffed runs called.

Reaction Score
The potential difference in the game is special teams. Net punting, kick offs, kick coverage and kick returns all heavily favor Marshall. Field position could be the key in a defensive game.

Reaction Score
37.9 yards per punt is weak.
You could not be more wrong schmuck breath! :D If you were at or saw the game that made us bowl eligible by beating Houston you would realize Justin Wain should have been a co MVP of that game. He punted 9 times and put us in great field position every time. :) Some punts are pooched for location which lowers distance / average. ;) Stats can be very misleading, the one I would like to see improved is that of punt returns. Having said that our opposition has not done well in that area either.
Here's hoping we kick The Herd out of the park!! (Baseball talk to suit the field)....

Reaction Score
Our punt returning is averaging 13.7 yards per return. He's just one short of the minimum to be ranked or he would be ranked 8th in the country. Same guy is ranked 5th in the nation in kick returns with a 30.5 average. He has three return TDs this year, 2 kick off and 1 punt and had a third TD on kick off called back on a questionable call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom