2014 SF Kelly Oubre interview - doesn't even mention Uconn | The Boneyard

2014 SF Kelly Oubre interview - doesn't even mention Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Wow, it's not a good sign that he doesn't even mention Uconn as a school that's recruiting him

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
At the end, I think he says that "I didn't even mention all my schools," but still not great that UConn not mentioned.

Reaction Score
Him and Hamilton are rather similar. With Calhoun Purvis and Hamilton on the wings, theres not a ton of pt available.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Him and Hamilton are rather similar. With Calhoun Purvis and Hamilton on the wings, theres not a ton of pt available.

This is why we might lose out on any other shooting guard/wing player.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Daniel Hamilton, ESPN updated their recruiting page on him:

Strengths:
Hamilton is a very aggressive wing on the offensive end of the floor. He looks to score and has an excellent knack for doing so. He can get to the rim on the break and finish above the rim with his length and athleticism. Hamilton can knock down the mid range jumper off the catch or dribble. He attacks defenders in the lane absorbs contact and bounces into a smooth and confident pull up jumper. He also has a nice floater with touch and body control. Hamilton scores so well his ability to pass is overlooked. He can hit open teammates as they cut to the basket or com off screens.

Weaknesses:
Hamilton takes and makes tough shots but his shot selection can be costly to his team at times he must continue to work on his handle when under intense ball pressure.

Bottom Line:
Hamilton is an confident scorer that can get buckets in a variety of ways. He plays with a short memory and can put up big numbers in a short period of time. Hamilton has all the offensive weapons to be an excellent scorer at the highest level of college basketball.

Reaction Score
If we don't land any other 2/3 players, than I think he would consider us. The problem is that there are many top 50 2/3 players considering us. It's good for UConn overall, but not good for the people who think Oubre is priority number one. It appears Hamilton and Oubre would be great gets, but it also looks like both will be at most 2 year players. It's nice to have a mix of talented players. Some prototypical NBA guys that stay 1-2 years and other undersized or less athletic players that stay 3-4. We already have two in purvis and hamilton that could just be at UConn for one year, so it might be better for the overall health of the program to land a couple of players with the physical attributes that suggest a 3-4 year dominant college player.

Reaction Score
Purvis is playing PG.
even so still have Omar and Daniel. I expect Daniel to be a star from day 1. There are mins available, but will be tough to convince such a highly thought of guy to come in and play on the bench for potentially two years. Maybe we take a lower ranked guy like Carrington. I would Love to add Peak to this spot but seems we have moved on.

Assuming Daniels goes pro after this year, we really need a four like Black or Abu.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we need a sf, pf and center to go with dham in 2014. then depending on dd, boat, leon and/or omar leaving we could need more players. its feels really good as a fan to have a full 13 ships back. we can recruit for the long haul and not to survive once again. develope kids and stack lineups with lenght and height the uconn way. paschal has to be our #1 at center. we need to red carpet things for him. same with abu at pf. there are plenty of wings to recruit in this class. we just need 1 in the end now thats playable right away. a project wing is very possible if guys leave early and we need more slots filled or another gard kid again. we need to focus on a center, pf and then a sf. if kelly is a good shot for us then do it up otherwise we need to focus on bigs right now.

13-14
1)brimah(c)-fr
2)facey(pf)-fr
3)samuel(pg)-fr
4)nolan(pf/c)-so
5)omar(sg)-so
6)leon(sf/pf)-so
7)dd(sf)-jr
8)boat(pg)-jr
9)olander(pf)-sr
10)giff(sf/sg)-sr
11)bazz(pg)-sr
12)kromah(g)-RSsrGrad
13)purvis(pg/sg)-RSfr

14-15
1)?
2)?
3)?
4)dham(sg/sf)-fr
5)brimah(c)-so
6)facey(pf)-so
7)samuel(pg)-so
8)purvis(pg/sg)-RSso
9)nolan(pf/c)-jr
10)omar(sg)-jr
11)leon(sf/pf)-jr
12)boat(pg)-sr
13)dd(sf)-sr

Reaction Score
we need a sf, pf and center to go with dham in 2014. then depending on dd, boat, leon and/or omar leaving we could need more players. its feels really good as a fan to have a full 13 ships back. we can recruit for the long haul and not to survive once again. develope kids and stack lineups with lenght and height the uconn way. paschal has to be our #1 at center. we need to red carpet things for him. same with abu at pf. there are plenty of wings to recruit in this class. we just need 1 in the end now thats playable right away. a project wing is very possible if guys leave early and we need more slots filled or another gard kid again. we need to focus on a center, pf and then a sf. if kelly is a good shot for us then do it up otherwise we need to focus on bigs right now.

13-14
1)brimah(c)-fr
2)facey(pf)-fr
3)samuel(pg)-fr
4)nolan(pf/c)-so
5)omar(sg)-so
6)leon(sf/pf)-so
7)dd(sf)-jr
8)boat(pg)-jr
9)olander(pf)-sr
10)giff(sf/sg)-sr
11)bazz(pg)-sr
12)kromah(g)-RSsrGrad
13)purvis(pg/sg)-RSfr

14-15
1)?
2)?
3)?
4)dham(sg/sf)-fr
5)brimah(c)-so
6)facey(pf)-so
7)samuel(pg)-so
8)purvis(pg/sg)-RSso
9)nolan(pf/c)-jr
10)omar(sg)-jr
11)leon(sf/pf)-jr
12)boat(pg)-sr
13)dd(sf)-sr
We are recruiting for more than 3 more spots, there is about a 0% chance both Daniels and Boat come back for their senior years.

Reaction Score

Oubre isn't sitting behind anyone. The kid will get plenty of minutes wherever he goes.

Reaction Score
In a perfect world he would be. But that hasn't been his natural position to this point.

He has stated explicitly that he is coming to UConn to learn the PG position, and since he's shooting for the NBA, this is going to be his natural position.

Reaction Score
Technically yes but I'm sure we'll see a lot of sets where Purvis and Samuel are on the floor together and Rodney is playing off the ball.

Right, but the way I see it, we have 3 positions where the top players will see time. That's 120 minutes to be split. So far we have Calhoun, Purvis and Hamilton taking 90 of those minutes. 5-10 to Samuel. Some other recruit is going to be looking at the possibility of grabbing 25 minutes as a frosh.

Reaction Score
even so still have Omar and Daniel. I expect Daniel to be a star from day 1. There are mins available, but will be tough to convince such a highly thought of guy to come in and play on the bench for potentially two years. Maybe we take a lower ranked guy like Carrington. I would Love to add Peak to this spot but seems we have moved on.

Assuming Daniels goes pro after this year, we really need a four like Black or Abu.

3 guard offense.

That's what I'm thinking. Hamilton goes inside-outside. He's 6-6.

So, 3 positions instead of 2.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
We are recruiting for more than 3 more spots, there is about a 0% chance both Daniels and Boat come back for their senior years.

i think the only way dd comes back is if he gets hurt. he is lottery material potential. i realize your just egging me on...but anyway, boat i feel will be back becuase the 8 man we put out this year wont allow him enough ball in hand time to score or assist enough to raise his stock a ton. his sr year he could start at the 1 with omar/purvis next to him. that will be his time to shine as the 1 guard. i think he realizes this but always strives to blow up asap. he will develope under ko very well. just give it time.

the big question this fall is with a full roster does ko like nolan and brimah enough where we go back to being uconn or are we still playing hyper offense size wise. we won a ship playing olander at the 4 for 10 minutes a game and then sitting him. its all about lenght and that pick and pop game he has for little spurts of time. i would love nothing more to run bazz-omar-dd-olander-nolan to start with facey in for olander splitting time at pf, brimah backing up nolan and olander also at the 5, boat as the 6th man scorer off the bench and gif as our wing back up. i think thats a killer lineup this season. its going to be a year or 2 before smauel is ready for serious minutes. purvis is a rs and leon unless he has a kemba off season is not getting time with this lineup. kromah is the 10man in a evans role who can earn his way to more time. i like what we have.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure we need another 4 and a 5 for 14-15. I see Facey and Nolan as guys who will be able to play the 4 or 5, especially when we go to a quicker, smaller lineup. If that's the case then one more blue chip guy up front would be sufficient. I agree we need more depth at SF. I don't see DD returning but Omar leaving after his soph year would be a stretch. So one kid up front, one on the wing should be enough, with 4 more role players rounding out the roster.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure we need another 4 and a 5 for 14-15. I see Facey and Nolan as guys who will be able to play the 4 or 5, especially when we go to a quicker, smaller lineup. If that's the case then one more blue chip guy up front would be sufficient. I agree we need more depth at SF. I don't see DD returning but Omar leaving after his soph year would be a stretch. So one kid up front, one on the wing should be enough, with 4 more role players rounding out the roster.

3 guys at 2 positions up front? One guy fouls out, the other 2 are gassed? One guy is injured, the other fouls out? Seems you need a PF and a C like Chukwu if you can get him.

Reaction Score
We need a wing to come in and play 15-20 mins a game in a back up role. We need a PF to come in and command big time mins.

PG-Purvis
SG-Calhoun
SF-Hamilton
PF-????
C-Facey/Nolan

Bench-Samuels
Bench-Facey/Nolan
Bench-Tolksdorf (I actually think he could develop into a solid bench guy)
Bench-Brimah

Reaction Score
No, 4 guys up front. Nolan, Brimah, Facey and 1 more guy, preferably a banger with a very physical presence. That's 80 minutes between 4 guys. I agree that Chukwu should be the priority now, by a landslide.

Reaction Score

Wow, it's not a good sign that he doesn't even mention Uconn as a school that's recruiting him

I think one thing we have to keep in mind is we might be a little behind with a few of these kids right now but once July comes around, KO and staff can make up significant ground. I wouldn't be overly concerned for the next month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom