2014 Players to Watch for WNBA Draft | The Boneyard

2014 Players to Watch for WNBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
For a preseason list, it's ok to me. Gennifer Brandon should have a good season at Cal and is a great rebounder.

Don't know much about Iowa States Christofferson!

Can see why Bria may have not made the list. She was an All-American as a sophomore but was injury plagued last season.

This is why I say, it's a preseason list. Let's just see how it compares to the list at draft time. I'm pretty sure Claredon wasn't on anyone's preseason list last year and look what her season did for her. There's plenty of time.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For a preseason list, it's ok to me. Gennifer Brandon should have a good season at Cal and is a great rebounder.

Don't know much about Iowa States Christofferson!

Can see why Bria may have not made the list. She was an All-American as a sophomore but was injury plagued last season.

This is why I say, it's a preseason list. Let's just see how it compares to the list at draft time. I'm pretty sure Claredon wasn't on anyone's preseason list last year and look what her season did for her. There's plenty of time.
I tend to agree in theory with what you say however... the list makes it seem that the person who wrote it went to last years season ending stats and said "that's it".

My point, clearly they don't follow WCBB much or as a couple pointed out, Bria should be on the watch list. Heck, if people can rank Tennessee at #3 based on their potential, they certainly could do some homework and realize Hartley should have a big senior campaign.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Dumb. Did they watch the WUG's??

A big reason why Shoni hardly played in the WUGs was because she was out of shape. There was a lot of talk about her in-season weight loss during the NCAAs last year. She'll need to do it again which can't please Jeff Walz.

Reaction Score
A big reason why Shoni hardly played in the WUGs was because she was out of shape. There was lots of talk about her in-season weight loss during the NCAAs last year. She'll need to do it again which can't please Jeff Walz.
That's true, but everyone's bodies are built differently so 'in shape' is different for any individual. Take Stef and Stewart for example. They're pretty much the same height but have completely different body types. However both of them bring what they have to the table and it works.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Two Points
1) I always thought the knock on Shoni was the "The Show Game" she seems to incorporate into her play. A lot of people look for solid play vs the fancy behind the back dribbling and passes, etc.
2) During the WUG, I happened to look up all of the players on past WUG teams and you had to go back to the 2001 WUG team to find a player on the WUG teams not drafted into the WNBA. Again that is drafted, as not all made teams they were drafted too. C. Ogwumike and O. Sims were on the 2011 team and neither has been drafted into the WNBA, but no doubt both will next April.

Reaction Score
Two Points
1) I always thought the knock on Shoni was the "The Show Game" she seems to incorporate into her play. A lot of people look for solid play vs the fancy behind the back dribbling and passes, etc.
2) During the WUG, I happened to look up all of the players on past WUG teams and you had to go back to the 2001 WUG team to find a player on the WUG teams not drafted into the WNBA. Again that is drafted, as not all made teams they were drafted too. C. Ogwumike and O. Sims were on the 2011 team and neither has been drafted into the WNBA, but no doubt both will next April.
I think she'd be a better player if she focused on basics and didn't try to be so flashy.
I've heard that that's part of 'Rez ball' which is the style of play on the reservations. That's good street ball game but not for a pro league.

Reaction Score
Cal's Gennifer Brandon had surgery over the summer and will not play until November/December. She's the best athlete on that list -- pretty much identical to Nneka Ogwumike physically, though not nearly as skilled nor naturally coordinated. So she's also the most raw on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom